Speculation: The 2014 1st

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I don't know. I am sure they can fetch a first. They have been playing well this year. I'm not trying to say they will get a first, but you are just selling them short.

Nashville gave a 1st for Gaustad.

Any idea which team might give up a 1st for Stajan, cause we should call them right now!

OntFlamesFan

Jul 10, 2013
Leafs ripe for picking

I think from what I'm seeing in Toronto papers & hearing on the tube & radio that Leafs coaching staff not happy with Jake Gardiner, they want to turn him, a naturally gifted -rushing-offensive D-man into more of a stay-at-home type. They feel with Phaneuf and the new kid, Morgan Reilley they have enough Offence from the back end. I think that since they're in a bit of a tailspin the past few weeks, and offence been drying up( before tonites game against Chicago! ) they may look at a trade of Gardiner and say a Korbinian Holzer + 1st round pick for Cammy and 1 of: Butler, Brodie or O'Brian. We'd be freeing up even more cap space and gaining 2 relatively young, offensively minded D-men plus another 1st rounder!

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Probably not at this time. If a team at the deadline feels they can make huge push it is possible to get a 1st for Stajan. The pick would most likely be a late first.

Anything is possible. Maybe if Dallas makes the playoffs and has an injury, they might give us Glennie. Posiblely another team with a former 1st rounder they've given up on but that's the closest Stajan will get to a 1st.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I think from what I'm seeing in Toronto papers & hearing on the tube & radio that Leafs coaching staff not happy with Jake Gardiner, they want to turn him, a naturally gifted -rushing-offensive D-man into more of a stay-at-home type. They feel with Phaneuf and the new kid, Morgan Reilley they have enough Offence from the back end. I think that since they're in a bit of a tailspin the past few weeks, and offence been drying up( before tonites game against Chicago! ) they may look at a trade of Gardiner and say a Korbinian Holzer + 1st round pick for Cammy and 1 of: Butler, Brodie or O'Brian. We'd be freeing up even more cap space and gaining 2 relatively young, offensively minded D-men plus another 1st rounder!

Sure, Cammy + Butler! Let TO worry about the cap.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Any idea which team might give up a 1st for Stajan, cause we should call them right now!

Stajan's 15 points in 24 games is pace for a 50 point season (pro rated to 82 games) on a weak Flames team. He's also playing hard minutes. He starts in the offensive zone 36% of the time, playing harder competition than nearly all other Flames' players (according to his player usage chart). He has been given the 7th most ice-time out of all Flames players. He's the 4th best forward in hits on our team and the 6th best shot blocker.

He's doing it all. A team pushing for the playoffs needing a centremen to win face-offs and play depth when healthy and a prominent role when beat-up could ask for no better centremen than Stajan.

Edit: Other than Stajan having a better point pace, his stats are comparable to Jordan Staal's. Staal hits more however.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Bolland is out for a while and the Leafs need to start getting back to winning games if they plan on making the playoffs. They're also tight against the cap and can't afford a well paid centremen.

Stajan comes to mind for the Leafs, especially given his history.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Stajan's 15 points in 24 games is pace for a 50 point season (pro rated to 82 games) on a weak Flames team. He's also playing hard minutes. He starts in the offensive zone 36% of the time, playing harder competition than nearly all other Flames' players (according to his player usage chart). He has been given the 7th most ice-time out of all Flames players. He's the 4th best forward in hits on our team and the 6th best shot blocker.

He's doing it all. A team pushing for the playoffs needing a centremen to win face-offs and play depth when healthy and a prominent role when beat-up could ask for no better centremen than Stajan.

Edit: Other than Stajan having a better point pace, his stats are comparable to Jordan Staal's. Staal hits more however.

I like you more everyday.

May 27, 2012
Earth
For some reason nobody likes me at first. :laugh:

I liked everybody the same. There is a point system I keep track of in my head. Everybody starts off at 10 points, and for every point I like it goes up and for every point I don't like it decreases. :sarcasm:

Seriously though I don't mind everybody at first, but that changes over time.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
As of right now, I'd say almost 100% keep it. Obviously, if the right deal were to come along, you'd have to consider it, but even if we were ot package the pickand Sven, I doubt we'd be getting a young player the caliber enough to make it worth trading. We'd need to be getting either a Barkov type of player, which nobody will surrender, or a lot of good, but not elite pieces, and I mean, overpayment, and that won't happen.

So just keep it. Jesus, at that point, I'd wait to see where the pick lands, and if it's outside of top 5, I'd consider packaging it with something else to try to move into the top 3, as I personally feel after Ekblad, Reinhart, and Nylander, the quality of prospects drops considerably, though there are still tons of players that are good.

But I will say this much, I've never been as big a Baertschi fan as a lot of people are. I think he has potential. But for example, if our pick was say 6th overall, I'd trade that pick and Sven if it got us Reinhart or Ekblad. I'm probably in the minority there, but I'd rather have either of those two prospects than Sven and one of the others from this year.

Aug 3, 2010
If it's roughly determined to be anything south of the 7th or 8th pick on draft day, I'd be OK with it being traded.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I guess it depends on whether we sell at the deadline or not. Personally with this current team I would say we end up drafting in the 7 to 12 range. If we sell Cammy and Stajan/Stemps then I could see us moving into the top 5 for sure. Just to add to my previous comments, if the pick is 1-5 I'm all for keeping it, but outside of that I would jump all over a deal assuming the player coming back fills a need, like a good defencemen or a big forward.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd consider moving it to Buffalo. I'd move our 1st with Wotherspoon for Myers or straight up for Zadorov.

I could also see Burke packaging it with Sven and someone like Russell for both Schenns, not sure how I'd feel about that.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd consider moving it to Buffalo. I'd move our 1st with Wotherspoon for Myers or straight up for Zadorov.

I could also see Burke packaging it with Sven and someone like Russell for both Schenns, not sure how I'd feel about that.

I thought about Myers, I'm not his biggest fan. Zadorov would be interesting but I have a feeling it might be easier to get Myers. Buffalo sounds very high on Zadorov. I definitely wouldn't want Wotherspoon to be included and Buffalo is pretty stacked with defensive prospects anyways.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Myers has really rebounded this season. He's definitely shown he's a legit top pairing dman. He's big, physical, fantastic skater with size and can put up points. He hasn't put up much points this year because Buffalo sucks and doesn't score a lot. Our first alone would not get Myers, I like Wotherspoon a lot but he's not likely to become a #2 dman, I'd do it to get Myers.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Myers has really rebounded this season. He's definitely shown he's a legit top pairing dman. He's big, physical, fantastic skater with size and can put up points. He hasn't put up much points this year because Buffalo sucks and doesn't score a lot. Our first alone would not get Myers, I like Wotherspoon a lot but he's not likely to become a #2 dman, I'd do it to get Myers.

I just don't want him, reminds me of Jbow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad