Speculation: The 2014 1st

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I agree overall draft position is important in this decision.

I think 11 points out of a playoff spot is important too, especially given our record against intra-conference foes. Not just now, but how long until we can start beating these teams?

I'm not against trading our 1st rounder depending on the return. I think we have to be realistic about reaching our goals and managing our assets too. How does a first rounder help us reach those goals and how valuable is it?

There's still a lot of holes in the future. Guess it kind of boils down to, is 1 elite player better than 2 good players? I tend to lean towards the 2 good players. That being said, when was the last time a team won the Stanley Cup with at least a couple elite players?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Evander Kane?

Young, elite talent is very hard to come by. If he can be obtained for our 1st + Sven, you have to take the shot. Scares the hell outta me, but I think you've gotta go for it. I mean even if he didn't work out, you're still gonna get a good return for him and it's a move that has the potential to jump start the rebuild.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
There's still a lot of holes in the future. Guess it kind of boils down to, is 1 elite player better than 2 good players? I tend to lean towards the 2 good players. That being said, when was the last time a team won the Stanley Cup with at least a couple elite players?

That's a good point. When has a cup winner won without elite players?

So how will we obtain elite players? I'm not sure another team is going to give them away, since they too need to win. Obtain them through the draft perhaps?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Young, elite talent is very hard to come by. If he can be obtained for our 1st + Sven, you have to take the shot. Scares the hell outta me, but I think you've gotta go for it. I mean even if he didn't work out, you're still gonna get a good return for him and it's a move that has the potential to jump start the rebuild.

7 goals and 14 points in 26 games should be pretty easy to come by. He's making 5.25 mill a year and is suppose to be breaking out, but Olli Jokinen is having a better season. We're strong on the left as it is.

OntFlamesFan

Jul 10, 2013
other picks??

Do the Flames have any other picks in the 1st round of up-coming ( 2014 ) draft, that we may have picked up from other teams from past/recent trades ( Iggy, Bo, Tanguay, etc…)??

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Do the Flames have any other picks in the 1st round of up-coming ( 2014 ) draft, that we may have picked up from other teams from past/recent trades ( Iggy, Bo, Tanguay, etc…)??

No, in fact, as of now, we only have four picks in the next draft. 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th (depending on Colborne), and 7th

That really needs to change.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If the season ended right now, the Flames would pick at 6th overall - based on point percentage, not overall standings.

Players that should be 1) available around 6th overall and 2) are beef-ish include: Draisatl, Fleury, Perlini.

Barring some complete catastrophic failure (or a lottery win) it's going to be tough to pick in the top two (Reinhart/Ekblad), which IMO are the only real obvious big time talents in the draft.

To consider trading the Flames' first round pick, it must be for a player who is young, and is a potential upgrade on the player that might be drafted - and teams looking for a first round pick for said player must not believe the same. Therein lies the paradox.

I don't think the Flames are trading their 1st, unless it's used to move in the draft - up or down. We're not yet in a position where bolstering the prospect ranks can stop.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
7 goals and 14 points in 26 games should be pretty easy to come by. He's making 5.25 mill a year and is suppose to be breaking out, but Olli Jokinen is having a better season. We're strong on the left as it is.

I don't know if Kane is the right guy but I'd take him 10 out of 10 times over O'Reilly. 22 year old, power forward, that already has a 57 point season under his belt...I think he'll be ok. Reports on his attitude are the only thing that worries me, not his scoring output.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Alright I'll give it a try:

Johnny Gaudrea + 1st rounder -----> E. Kane

Berra + Stempniak -----> M. Grabner

Cammy -----> T. Barrie + 1st rounder

M. Stajan + 2nd round -----> S. Couturier

C. Butler + Knight -----> Z. Kassian

Yeah I'm probably not giving up enough for the players in return, but these are guys I'd target.

Kane - Couturier - Grabner
Baertschi - Monahan - Kassian
Glencross - Colbourne - D.Jones

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

Yeah I'm probably not giving up enough for the players in return, but these are guys I'd target.

I know it's home page, but those are reaching, maybe the Grabner one. I'd offer Gio, Sven, 1st + Jankowski for Kane, Morrissey + the right's to Burmistrov. I like the Stemp's plan. I'd move Cammy to Van for their 1st, Booth + a conditional 2nd if he re signs. Stajan for whatever we can get, just don't see much interest. Maybe if Van moves Edler and we switched Russell for Butler, the Kassian deal might have more appeal. I could also see Jones for Clarkson + 1st/Gardiner.

May 27, 2012
Earth
I know it's home page, but those are reaching, maybe the Grabner one. I'd offer Gio, Sven, 1st + Jankowski for Kane, Morrissey + the right's to Burmistrov. I like the Stemp's plan. I'd move Cammy to Van for their 1st, Booth + a conditional 2nd if he re signs. Stajan for whatever we can get, just don't see much interest. Maybe if Van moves Edler and we switched Russell for Butler, the Kassian deal might have more appeal. I could also see Jones for Clarkson + 1st/Gardiner.

No thanks. You don't trade the guy you named Captain. Gio is also on a great contract and see no point in moving him.

The Jones one... we would fleece the Leafs. That would be a bad trade.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Man, I really dislike those two deals. No thanks to Booth even for free. And Burmistrov, after the stunt he pulled with the Jets?! Another trade I wouldn't do. Hell, I wouldn't trade Giordano for Kane straight up. Kane is playing like garbo and Giordano is the anchor to us winning hockey games.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

The bolded is egregiously bad for the Flyers.

The rest (aside from the Cammalleri deal) are horrible for the Flames.

I don't really see the fascination with E. Kane. He's a left winger, an area in which the Flames are already very strong in, and is alleged to have attitude issues. He's not a player the Flames should be pursuing, especially at the expense of assets they can't afford to give up.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
No thanks. You don't trade the guy you named Captain. Gio is also on a great contract and see no point in moving him.

The Jones one... we would fleece the Leafs. That would be a bad trade.

Clarkson's 29 and all he brings to the table is toughness and for check. He's signed to a boat anchor, 7 year/ 5.25 contract, Jones is a serious upgrade. I don't know if it's worth that much sweetener but I could see a move like that happening.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Clarkson's 29 and all he brings to the table is toughness and for check. He's signed to a boat anchor, 7 year/ 5.25 contract, Jones is a serious upgrade. I don't know if it's worth that much sweetener but I could see a move like that happening.

Rather keep Jones IMO. I also doubt the Leafs would add Gardiner or a 1st to move Clarkson. Would not want his contract. We are finally clear of bad contracts...why take one?

herashak

Mar 24, 2013

rich teams like toronto dont need to give away their young top talent when they can just buy clarkson out

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
5) The Flames can (somewhat) replace the lost first rounder by trading Cammy and Stempniak and maybe Stajan.

Maybe for Cammy but not the way he is playing lately

Only a nut would give up a first for Stempniak or Stajan

May 27, 2012
Earth
Maybe for Cammy but not the way he is playing lately

Only a nut would give up a first for Stempniak or Stajan

I don't know. I am sure they can fetch a first. They have been playing well this year. I'm not trying to say they will get a first, but you are just selling them short.

Nashville gave a 1st for Gaustad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad