Speculation: The 2014 1st

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
At this point, the Flame's would be currently 3 points out of a playoff spot in the East. Realistically, the pick could end up anywhere from 3rd-15th. If Burke could package it up for a very good, young player, are the Flame's better off than picking in this years draft? It's really a crap shoot right now but there's a lot of horrible teams in the East.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
At this point I would say deal the first round pick. It doesn't look like were going to be picking to high, and I am sure we will acquire another first rounder at the trade deadline.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
A) This should be a poll.

B) The Flames are in the West. The 'only 3 points out of a playoff spot in the East' is precisely something Darry Sutter would have said.

C) Right now, the Flames have the 5th overall pick. So no on trading it.

It's a long season and it's still a safe bet that a good number of the UFA's are going to be moved at the deadline. It's still far more likely the Flames pick in the top eight than in the 9th-15th range.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Look at the amount of games played though compared to the overall pts in the league. I'm not saying were going to be close to a playoff spot but we are doing quite a bit better then the bottom five.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
It's a tough call, I guess it depends on what we package. I wouldn't want to be the one making the call. We're not very good right now and moving out a couple key pieces could easily make us horrible.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
At this point, the Flame's would be currently 3 points out of a playoff spot in the East. Realistically, the pick could end up anywhere from 3rd-15th. If Burke could package it up for a very good, young player, are the Flame's better off than picking in this years draft? It's really a crap shoot right now but there's a lot of horrible teams in the East.

I didn't realize we were in the Eastern conference. :shakehead

You don't trade your 1st when it will almost certainly be a top 3-5 pick.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I didn't realize we were in the Eastern conference. :shakehead

You don't trade your 1st when it will almost certainly be a top 3-5 pick.

We aren't in the East and by no way am I implying we could possibly be a playoff team but as I'm sure you're aware, the play of the Eastern teams directly effects our draft position. It was a simple stat to back up how bad the bottom 6 or 7 teams are in the East.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
There will be another firesale of veterans this year, which will drop the Flames even more in the standing. Unless you are including that pick in a package for a young star player you do not move it at all.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
We aren't in the East and by no way am I implying we could possibly be a playoff team but as I'm sure you're aware, the play of the Eastern teams directly effects our draft position. It was a simple stat to back up how bad the bottom 6 or 7 teams are in the East.

The lottery has changed too. Anyone out of a playoff spot can land that first overall. I think most believe we'll be sellers at the deadline, potentially allowing us to fall down in the standings late in the season.

Remember2004

Oct 20, 2010

B) The Flames are in the West. The 'only 3 points out of a playoff spot in the East' is precisely something Darry Sutter would have said.

It's a long season and it's still a safe bet that a good number of the UFA's are going to be moved at the deadline. It's still far more likely the Flames pick in the top eight than in the 9th-15th range.

I wanna pick top 3 though :( :shakehead

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB

This. Three points out "in the East" doesn't mean squat for the Flames. Why? Because we're not in the East, we're in the west, and second last in the west. Currently we would (assuming no changes with the lottery) be picking 5th if the draft were tomorrow. Let's wait and see where we are at around the trade deadline before discussing trading/keeping our 1st round pick. Personally, I think we're better served keeping it.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Lol at trading it. Yeah, that's the way to a successful rebuild.

No question we keep it.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
So this is a thread where we discuss what you want?

I thought we were discussing what to do with the first overall?

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were the OP. No avatar and all

Lots of shake ups and rumors swirling around the organization right now. With the recent return of some key players and the improved play of our goaltenders, I thought it would make for an interesting debate. Garrenteed not everyone will share the same point of view. I was hoping the thread would remain objective and less condescending.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Lots of shake ups and rumors swirling around the organization right now. With the recent return of some key players and the improved play of our goaltenders, I thought it would make for an interesting debate. Garrenteed not everyone will share the same point of view. I was hoping the thread would remain objective and less condescending.

Well it seems your logic for possibly trading our 1st round pick is based off our position relative to the eastern conference? There's nothing wrong with the idea of trading our first round pick, but for the reasons you mentioned, that's just strange. Here's better reasoning to trade our 1st IMO:

1) Burke is impatient (that's well known) and has a history of trading a "good" 1st round pick

2) The 2014 draft is weak and an impact player might be found elsewhere

3) There are few prospects in the early round of the draft that has size, the characteristic the Flames are looking for most

4) The top 3 picks are less likely for the Flames than other teams given the standings, so is the 3-10th pick really worth more than the 11-30th pick?

5) The Flames can (somewhat) replace the lost first rounder by trading Cammy and Stempniak and maybe Stajan.

Last edited:

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia

3) There are few prospects in the early round of the draft that has size, the characteristic the Flames are looking for most

4) The top 3 picks are less likely for the Flames than other teams given the standings, so is the 3-10th pick really worth more than the 11-30th pick

5) The Flames can (somewhat) replace the lost first rounder by trading Cammy and Stempniak and maybe Stajan.

Agreed.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I have a funny feeling that Flames fans will deem the 1st '14 untouchable after our next 5 games:

NYR, BOS, DET, PIT, STL. That's a tough lineup. The Flames work their ***** off, so I wouldn't be surprised if we grind out wins, but I wouldn't be shocked if we went 1-4 either.

I personally think we need to build through the draft, unless there is an opportunity to acquire elite talent.
Example: Seguin (last year)

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Well it seems your logic for possibly trading our 1st round pick is based off our position relative to the eastern conference? There's nothing wrong with the idea of trading our first round pick, but for the reasons you mentioned, that's just strange. Here's better reasoning to trade our 1st IMO:

1) Burke is impatient (that's well known) and has a history of trading a "good" 1st round pick

4) The top 3 picks are less likely for the Flames than other teams given the standings, so is the 3-10th pick really worth more than the 11-30th pick

All very good points! Like I said earlier, the eastern conference reference was just to back up how truly bad the bottom 7-8 teams are in the east. The way I see it East/West doesn't matter to the Flame's right now, it's overall draft position. I'm personally on the fence right now as to whether or not it's a good idea, that's the purpose of the thread. Another win could jump 3 or 4 teams, but a loss could put us back where we started. I'm assuming it'll be like that most of the year.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I have a funny feeling that Flames fans will deem the 1st '14 untouchable after our next 5 games:

NYR, BOS, DET, PIT, STL. That's a tough lineup. The Flames work their ***** off, so I wouldn't be surprised if we grind out wins, but I wouldn't be shocked if we went 1-4 either.

I personally think we need to build through the draft, unless there is an opportunity to acquire elite talent.
Example: Seguin (last year)

I'm gonna say 2-3, which isn't bad for that line up.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
All very good points! Like I said earlier, the eastern conference reference was just to back up how truly bad the bottom 7-8 teams are in the east. The way I see it East/West doesn't matter to the Flame's right now, it's overall draft position. I'm personally on the fence right now as to whether or not it's a good idea, that's the purpose of the thread. Another win could jump 3 or 4 teams, but a loss could put us back where we started. I'm assuming it'll be like that most of the year.

I agree overall draft position is important in this decision.

I think 11 points out of a playoff spot is important too, especially given our record against intra-conference foes. Not just now, but how long until we can start beating these teams?

I'm not against trading our 1st rounder depending on the return. I think we have to be realistic about reaching our goals and managing our assets too. How does a first rounder help us reach those goals and how valuable is it?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00