The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

The Bored Man

5-14-6-1
Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
So which teams (aside the Oilers) aren't playing on the 19th?

I counted 13 games on Saturday...so it's the Oilers and Flames. :shakehead

Edit: Turns out that my counting is fine but my multiplication isn't. Sabres and Sharks don't play then either.

January 20th in Vancouver, January 22nd at home against the sharks.

You heard it here first folks

Mad props on calling it. Don't be afraid to share any more scoops. :D

Last edited:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Looks like the Flames, Sharks and Sabres

Thanks, really wish I would have just looked for myself rather than making someone else do it :laugh:

Really sucks not to be part of that first game back, but it's just one day to get through...

Lowe in Oil

Aug 29, 2006
Montreal
Hall has played amazing with Hemsky in the past.
Hemsky never gelled with Gagner.
Eberle is the smartest RWer and it would be easier for him to switch to LW.

Hence:

Hall - RNH - Hemsky :nod:
Eberle - Gagner - Yakupov :nod:
Smyth - Horc - Hartikainen
Eager - Belander - Petrell
Hordichuk

Whitney - Petry
N.S. - J. S. :nod:
Smid - Potter

DD :nod:

---

PP1 :nod:
Eberle - RNH - Hall
Potter - Schultz

PP2 :nod:
Hemsky - Smyth - Yakupov
Whitney - Petry

:handclap:

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
So, which players will skate for the first time on Monday?

Horcoff, RNH, and Petrell? Besides the guys in OKC of course coming up after the game tonight.

Am I the only one that isn't a fan of the captain of the team not showing up early when nearly the entire team is already here? I mean, it's not like he is hurt, playing elsewhere, or out of the country, all he's been doing is sitting in boardrooms for months.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
So is the opening game on TV or not? It's a Sunday so I'm guessing SNET?

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
There's tons of combos they can try, at the end of last year didn't RNH Eberle Hemsky look pretty good together as a line. And I've always like RNH with Hemsky. But I think they have to go with the kid line to start.

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
Rexall Place isn't available during that stretch because of the Brier

That's gonna be tough traveling and playing 9 games in 16 days with 2 back to back games.

Chicago > Dallas > St Louis > Minny > Columbus > Detroit > Nashville > Chicago > Colorado

Wow! This trip is either make or break the season. Also twice against Chicago in the same road trip!

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Whoa, a 9 games road trip!?!?

In 16 days no less. We better be at least 7 games above .500 entering that if we want a chance to make the playoffs. The funniest part is we play Chicago twice in the same road trip. So that's 16 points for Gagner on the trip.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
That's gonna be tough traveling and playing 9 games in 16 days with 2 back to back games.

Chicago > Dallas > St Louis > Minny > Columbus > Detroit > Nashville > Chicago > Colorado

Wow! This trip is either make or break the season. Also twice against Chicago in the same road trip!

Twice against Chicago = 2 easy wins ;)

#ualberta
Dec 13, 2010
Edmonton
Trade deadline and free agency have been adjusted for this shortened season.

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: For this season only - trade deadline will be April 3 while free agency opens July 5

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
At first glance... the schedule isn't as bad as it could have been... still 48 games in 98 days is a hell of a whirlwind.

On paper this team shouldn't be better than a 13th place team in the West as they crapped the bed regularly last season against most of the Western teams and especially against those in the NW.

Of course that doesn't take into account the roster changes and the natural progression and improvement of the young players which "should" lead to an improved team.

My mathematical mind says 13th in the West for the Oilers and my heart says 5th. We'll see which is correct. :)

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Hall-Gagner-Eberle (give Gagner some confidence)
Hartikainen-RNH-Hemsky (RNH and Hemsky looked really good together at times, Harti with the big body presence)
Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov (Yak can get broken in relatively slowly, bouncing between 2nd and 3rd lines. Can be the puck possession guy and driving threat on an otherwise checking line. Same thing for Smitty and Harti bouncing back and forth between 2nd and 3rd lines)
Eager-Belanger-Petrell (junk line)

Smid-Petry (easily their best pairing, by a country mile)
Schultz-Schultz (good sheltering and mentoring for J Schultz with defensive D Nick Schultz by his side. Yin and Yang sort of pairing)
Whitney-Peckham (healthy Whitney can elevate his partner's play, whoever it may be)
Potter

Dubie
Khabi

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad