The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So uh, this is kinda like getting to open your Christmas gifts in March, but better late than never I guess ...

nhl_g_nail-yakupov-22c_mb_600.jpg

6870169.jpg

Hall RNH Eberle
Hemsky Gagner Yakupov
Smyth Horcoff (?) Jones
Hartikanen Belanger Eager
Petrell/Hordichuk

Whitney Smid
Schultz Schultz
Petry Potter (?)

Dubnyk
Khabibulin (?)

If we buy out Horcoff I guess Yakupov could have the no.10. Lets hope Ryan Whitney has 48-52 healthy games left in the tank.

Out of all this buy out fall out we really badly could use one more solid second or third pairing veteran d-man.

Last edited:

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Hordichuk

First call up: Hartikainen

Smid-Petry
Shultz-Schultz
Whitney-Potter/Sutton
Peckham

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

Slap these **** hawks on the ice and let's get Rollin!

Ragss

Jul 5, 2007
I never thought for a second we'd have hockey this year. I mean I watched most of Russia's games at the Juniors just to get a peak at Yak and now he will (at least I friggen hope so) be with the Oilers in a week or so playing alongside Nuge...

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Eager-Belanger-Hordichuk

First call up: Hartikainen

Smid-Petry
Shultz-Schultz
Whitney-Potter/Sutton
Peckham

Dubnyk
Khabibulin

Slap these **** hawks on the ice and let's get Rollin!

Not to be a wet blanket, but I look at that bottom 6, and can't think of many teams that could out-suck them. Maybe Krueger's new attack system will be beneficial, but on paper, and given their performances last year, I see that bottom six undoing alot of what the top six accomplishes throughout any particular game.

MCMIL OIL

Oct 19, 2011
Cochrane AB
Hall-NUG-Eberle
Hemsky-Gagner-Yakupov
Smyth-Horcoff-Jones
Petrell-Belanger-Eager
Alternative:Hartikainen/Paajarvi/Lander/Hordichuck

Whitney-J.Schultz
Smid-Petry
N.Schultz-Sutton
Alternates:Potter/Peckham/Tuebert

Dubnyk
Kabby
Roy

Let the good times roll. hope the short season works to are advantage. so we can finally keep a healthy team.

Baggie

Aug 19, 2011
I think this will be an excellent season for the oilers to perform well, because if they do so (team, or individual efforts) the haters can always play it off with "it's not even a real season". :)

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Not to be a wet blanket, but I look at that bottom 6, and can't think of many teams that could out-suck them. Maybe Krueger's new attack system will be beneficial, but on paper, and given their performances last year, I see that bottom six undoing alot of what the top six accomplishes throughout any particular game.

I see no problem with the third line to be honest.

That 4th is useless unless Belanger and Eager get their **** together fast

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
What's the word with Sutton?

Wasn't there something about him getting injured and considering retirement not too long ago?

Oan

Jan 31, 2011
Hasn't Hartikainen already deserved to at least start in 3rd line?

Baggie

Aug 19, 2011
If it's the same Smyth from the latter part of last year, I'd like to see Harski on the 3rd line with Smyth on the 4th.

Hartikainen has always been good when given opportunity in the NHL. He's more useful than Smyth when they are not scoring. However I would still give Smyth a chance as he can still score goals and provide leadership.

What's Harti's waiver eligibility status?

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Am I the only one that thinks that 2nd line needs Harski's grit and that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if one of Yak or Hemsky start on the 3rd line? Hemsky's most productive year has been with Horcoff or having Yak on the 3rd line takes the rookie pressure off of needing elite offensive production from Day 1

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
If it's the same Smyth from the latter part of last year, I'd like to see Harski on the 3rd line with Smyth on the 4th.

You might actually get a pretty decent year out of Smyth. A short season has to be to his advantage. That and the fact that he and Horcoff should not be leading the forward group in ice time this year means he stays a lot fresher.

That said, his time as a significant factor in Edmonton is almost done. Let's see how he adjusts to being a bit player.

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
Hall-RNH-Eberle
Smyth-Gagner-Yakupov
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Hemsky
Petrell/Eager-Belanger-Jones

I think Smyth is going to surprise a lot of Oilers fans. He was great in the first 45 games or so last season. He's an older guy now and Renney played him way too much and wore him out. On the 2nd or 3rd line I think he's going to be golden. Just limit his TOI a bit.

Hopefully Schultz gets to play with Smid. Smid is our best option for Schultz and I think it's really important to give Schultz a rock solid partner. Schultz could transition relatively seamlessly this way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad