The 2013 Oilers Preview (Season Starts In Van on Jan. 20th)

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
9 game road trip... **** easy to imagine that being a make/break part of the season. Although we finish with 7 of 9 at home...

Oct 15, 2008
no one really gives a **** about Edmonton outside of Edmonton though, this is a reality. While they may be exciting, they've still been bad and a bit of an unknown, therefor they're not much of a draw yet. smallest market in the NHL, can't totally blame them. Things will change over the coming years as they get better.

Not true. There are Oiler fans all over the country from coast to coast.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
You run on adrenaline the first game. Maybe the second is OK if you get a night's rest in between.

To play two games in two days after essentially 6-7 months of not playing top level hockey? That's tiring.

Waayyyyy ot but who is that in your avatar?!?!

oilers92

Jan 26, 2010
Edmonton
5 in 7 to finish should be fun :shakehead lots of 3 day breaks could have broken a few up but i guess all teams will get this just a shame its at the end especially if the team gets in the hunt could play a slight factor

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Brutal schedule. Hope these young boys are ready. I mean that looks bad IMO. West is going to be ultra competitive.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Damn, really wanted them to start on the 19th on HNIC.

Oh well, I'm just really excited to watch any type of NHL hockey. I've been so NHL deprived that I'm even excited about watching... yes.. the Leafs...

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Starting on the 20th is OK I guess. Gives us an extra day of practice and the Canucks will have to play us on the 2nd night of a back to back right off the hop.

CBC probably would've much preferred Van-Edm on the 19th though.

Last edited:

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Starting on the 20th is OK I guess. Gives us an extra day of practice and the Canucks will have to play us on the 2nd night of a back to back right off the hop.

CBC probably would've much preferred Van-Edm on the 19th though.

Looking at the schedule real quick I only see two back-to-backs the entire season, which isn't too bad.

Can't risk the Oilers beating Vancouver on opening night. Hughson would quit.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
9 game road trip... **** easy to imagine that being a make/break part of the season. Although we finish with 7 of 9 at home...

To make matters worse the 9 game road trip takes place in 16days. Meaning 9 game days and 7 rest days(and who knows how many travel hours if theres any kind of winter storms.

Worse still the last 4 games of the trip are played in 6nights. Stagger home after.

Weird oddity:

We play Calgary one time before April.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'd guess

Hall RNH Eberle
Yakupov Gagner Hemsky
Smyth Horcoff Eager
Hordichuk Belanger Hartikanen

Smid Whitney
Schultz Schultz
Petry Potter

Dubnyk

On opening night. Gonna need Hordi and Eager to bring physicality. Two real offensive lines, finally. Lets hope Petry is ready to take a big step in his development.

Hall-RNH-Eberle-Schultz-Whitney

Gagner-Hemsky-Yakupov-Potter-Petry

We should be able to ice two very nice PP units.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I have a feeling that this week is going to be a loooong wait for some people.

Really looking forward to watching Yakupov and Shultz for the first time....not to mention Ebs, RNH, and Hall.

Our first 2 lines look really strong. Some teams are going to have a handful there.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
We could roll with 3 lines...

Smyth/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Horcoff/Hemsky
Harti/Gagner/Yakupov

This would give other teams fits imo

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
We could roll with 3 lines...

Smyth/RNH/Eberle
Hall/Horcoff/Hemsky
Harti/Gagner/Yakupov

This would give other teams fits imo

I'm not sure Smyth can handle top line minutes, especially with the condensed schedule. He burned out after a couple of months last year. I think the best combinations I've seen so far are:

Hall - Nugent-Hopkins - Eberle
Hemsky - Gagner - Yakupov
Smyth - Horcoff - Hartikainen
Eager - Belanger - Petrell

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
So does camp open tomorrow? If it does is it open to the public?

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
The Mou has been signed, the lockout is officially over!

We should be hearing about a few trades now. I'm pretty sure that the Luongo deal is done. That's the reason that he's been so "classy" during all of this. He already knows that the deal is done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad