The 2013 Double-A Draft Thread

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Five I'd hoped to get this draft have already been snapped up quick!

Derek King, Forbes Kennedy and Jude Drouin are all quality Bottom-6ers at the AAA level I had thought. I just didn't have room for them on the Rebels roster.

Pete Horeck and Dutch Gainor I thought Top-6 role worthy in the AAA and with Gainor only the shortness of his career kept him off my shortlist in the last draft. The playoff veteran had two great seasons and two other significant seasons in a six-year NHL career on very good teams but I think I had overlooked his contributions out west. He had a significant year in Calgary right before his NHL days and two at the tail end to bookend a decent career length for even the MLD level. But, I wonder, why did he have only a little assist success as a Ranger (and none that Stanley Cup run postseason: he wasn't among the 11 NYRs to score but played every game) and lose his scoring prowess altogether as a Maroon? If it's a case of team chemistry and ice time then his lack of performance may be less due to a lack of ability.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Danville Dashers select:
Bryan Berard Defenseman:
Pittsburgh+Penguins+v+New+York+Islanders+8G6yvYpiFiCm.jpg

Stats:
Games: 619
Goals: 76
Assists: 247
Pts: 323
PPG: 41
1996-97 Calder Winner & NHL All Rookie Team ( 1st)
2003-04 Bill Masterton Winner

A native of Woonsocket, Rhode Island, Bryan Berard scored 47 points in 32 games at Mount St. Charles Academy in 1993-94 before heading to the OHL. He enjoyed two stellar years with the Detroit Whalers/Junior Red Wings and helped the club reach the Memorial Cup in 1995. His accolades included being named the Top Rookie in the CHL in 1995 and being selected to the OHL and CHL First All-Star teams in 1995 and 1996. Following the 1995 season Berard was chosen first overall by the Ottawa Senators but could not come to terms with the team. He returned to junior and was named the CHL Defenceman-of-the-Year. The talented blueliner also played for the U.S. at the 1995 and 1996 World Junior Championships.
On January 23, 1996, Berard's problems with Ottawa were resolved when he was traded to the New York Islanders in a complicated deal that also featured fellow star defender Wade Redden. After scoring 48 points in 1996-97, Berard was presented the Calder Trophy and appeared destined for stardom. Things didn't work out that way as the Islanders' were constantly rebuilding in the late 1990s and the young defenceman's discipline and defensive ability were questioned.

Berard's status dropped in New York to the point that he was sent to the Toronto Maple Leafs in return for veteran netminder Felix Potvin. His career was rejuvenated in Toronto where he was one of several talented individuals on a winning team. He helped the Maple Leafs reach the semifinals in 1999 and was a much-improved defenceman the next year.

During a March game at the Corel Centre in Ottawa, Berard was clipped by a high stick from Marian Hossa. The damage to his eye was so great that his career was considered over by most observers. Prior to the opening of training camp, Berard declared his intention to attempt a comeback. Several teams approached Berard with an offer, but he opted to sign with the New York Rangers. He made the 2001-02 roster with the idea that he would simplify his game and be of use to the revamped Blueshirts.

After only one season with the Rangers, Berard had a stop in Boston in 2002-03 before joining Chicago in 2003-04. Upon his arrival in the Windy City, Berard went on to record 47 points (13-34-47) and capped off his season, winning the Masterton Trophy for his perseverance and dedication to hockey before being acquired by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the summer of 2005.

On the international stage, Berard is a two-time member of the U.S. World Junior Team (1995-1996), the 1997 World Championship team and the 1998 Winter Olympic Team in Nagano.

Barry Long Defenseman:
Barrylong.jpg

NHL Stats:
Games: 280
Goals: 11
Assists: 68
Pts: 79

WHA Stats:
Games: 387
Goals: 51
Assists: 171
Pts: 222
1974-75 WHA 2nd Team All Star
1977-78 WHA 2nd Team All Star
2X WHA Champion: Winnipeg Jets (1978 & 1979)

Defenceman Barry Long was a competent playmaker who could fill a physical role in his own zone. His five year NHL tenure was split by a half decade spent in the WHA where he played a more offensive role.
Long played junior with the Moose Jaw Canucks of the WCJHL. He spent his first four years as a pro toiling in the CHL and WHL before playing two years on the L.A. Kings' defence beginning in 1972-73. In 1974, he opted to sign with the WHA's Edmonton Oilers and was picked as an alternate for that year's Summit Series versus the USSR.

During his first year in the league, Long scored 20 goals and provided grit in his own end. His solid year earned him a place on the WHA's second all-star team. He played another year in Edmonton before he was sent to the Winnipeg Jets for future considerations during the first week of the 1976-7 schedule. Long was excellent at both ends for the Jets and was named to the league's second all-star team in 1978.

In June 1979, the veteran blueliner was reclaimed by the Detroit Red Wings prior to the Expansion Draft. He played all 80 games for the Wings in 1979-80 then was sent to the Jets for cash the next fall. Long scored 23 points and was a team leader on Winnipeg then joined Canada at the 1981 World Championships. Injuries forced the steady veteran to retire after playing only five games in 1981-82. Two years later, Long returned to the Jets as the team's head coach. He guided the club to a .500 record after taking over from Tom Watt after 31 games then posted a 43-27-10 record in 1984-85. The wheels fell off the next season when Long was relieved by John Ferguson after Winnipeg only won 19 of its first 66 games.

Last edited by a moderator:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
LW Red Green

008115146.jpg

Legends Of Hockey:

Left-winger Redvers Green played with four different NHL clubs in the 20s. He was an accomplished goal scorer as an amateur and pro and could handle the rough side of the game as well.

D Pierre Bouchard

Pierre-Bouchard.jpg

Although he was the team's policeman, he preferred to play it clean, handling the rough stuff only when it came knocking at his door. Otherwise, he earned his bread and butter as a rugged, stay-at-home defender in the mold of his father.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Herbert Collins, G.

images

- Stanley Cup (1894, 1895)

After a strong showing in the 1893 season with the Montreal Crystals, he was recruited by MAAA following Tom Paton’s retirement. Of note: he bettered the league average GAA by 38%, the same percentage Tom Paton achieved with the same team in the same league, a year prior.

Collins won the 2nd and 3rd Stanley Cupsever awarded, in 1894 and 1895. Unlike Paton, he had to win playoff games to get his cups. Collins was 3-0 with 4 GA in Stanley Cup matches.

Collins played 7 full seasons from 1893-1899, in the AHAC and CAHL, Canada’s top leagues that usually held the Stanley Cup. That may not sound like much, but for a goalie in that generation, that is eons. His recorded record is 24-22, but he played 6 undetermined games in a season in which his team was 2-6 so his likely record is 25-27.

With a career record just a tad below .500, Collins’ teams (which featured Clare McKerrow, Allan Cameron and Billy Barlow) achieved only average results, but it wasn’t due to goaltending. During his career, Collins’ GAA of 3.11 was 0.67 goals (or 18%) below the weighted average of the other goalies over this time, 3.78.

Last year when I profiled Collins I posted an article that showed he was considered at the time, the best goalie in Canada. It is as clear as can possibly be determined, that Tom Paton was THE dominant goalie of the 1885-1893 period; likewise, it is just as clear that Collins was the top dog for the following six years.

NY Times said:
Of the Montreal team, Collins, the goalkeeper, is known all over Canada as the best man playing in that position... his wonderful stops are features of every game he plays a part in.

Montreal Gazette said:
The Ottawa attack would swoop down with apparently irresistible force, and when victory seemed certainly within their grasp, Collins or Murphy or Baird was inconveniently in their way.

Sadly, Collins died in 1900 of consumption, a full hockey career already completed, making him probably the longest deceased selected player.

Roy Rickey, D

(quoted from me in AAA2011)

It has come to my attention that just 12 players who had at least 10 playoff games as of 1926 (the merger of the east and west and the end of The Trail Of the Stanley Cup, Vol. 1), are still available. Just five of them weren't from the WCHL, where they racked up a bunch of games against eachother in (relatively) long playoffs for a few years. The leader of all the rest (actually the leader of all 12), with 24, nearly double the guy with the next most (13), is Roy Rickey, D.

admin_content_retriever-33.jpg

Rickey might prove to be a guy that is tough to get more info on. I think that even if that proves to be the case, there is more than enough to like here. Rickey played his entire PCHA career with Seattle, scoring 43 points in 156 games, and 9 more in 24 important PCHA (10) and Stanley Cup (14) playoff games.

Also notable: Rickey was only once ever listed as a sub, despite his team always having at least one listed, usually two, and sometimes three. Rickey was always a starter, and on one of the top teams in hockey. Seattle went to the Stanley Cup finals in 1917, 1919, and 1920, winning the first time.

Rickey was listed a sub in his first PCHA playoff game in 1917. Following that, he was a starter along with Carpenter to finish the year, and started with Lester Patrick the next year. For the next 4 years and 18 playoff games, it was Rickey and Rowe carrying the mail for the Seattle defense. During this period, Seattle was the PCHA's top defensive team every season. Here are the GA totals for the cumulative 4 years:

Seattle 233
Vancouver 266
Victoria 311

Rickey didn't put up that many points (below average for a PCHA defenseman but not that much below average) and he certainly wasn't a big penalty taker (just 42 minutes in those 156 games, less than many players frequently had in one season). The evidence really points to Rickey being a no frills, nothing fancy, defensive defenseman and he has very solid team results to back it up.

Just to put his playoff games into perspective, here are the all-time playoff game leaders, cicra 1926, among available players:

Rickey 24
WCHL guy 21
WCHL guy 15
WCHL guy 15
WCHL guy 14
WCHL guy 13
WCHL guy 10
WCHL guy 10

it's slim pickins... except for Rickey, who waited a disproportionately long time to get selected, relative to the team success he helped to drive.

The Vancouver Sun 2/12/1922 said:
One of the reasons for the Mets admirable performances is the return to his position of the big defence player, Roy Rickey, whose unfortunate accident earlier in the season seriously handicapped his teammates. Rickey is a stone-wall in meeting attacks and his ability to strike camp and get away on the trail into enemy territory makes him equally effective as an offensive.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Five I'd hoped to get this draft have already been snapped up quick!

Derek King, Forbes Kennedy and Jude Drouin are all quality Bottom-6ers at the AAA level I had thought. I just didn't have room for them on the Rebels roster.

Pete Horeck and Dutch Gainor I thought Top-6 role worthy in the AAA and with Gainor only the shortness of his career kept him off my shortlist in the last draft. The playoff veteran had two great seasons and two other significant seasons in a six-year NHL career on very good teams but I think I had overlooked his contributions out west. He had a significant year in Calgary right before his NHL days and two at the tail end to bookend a decent career length for even the MLD level. But, I wonder, why did he have only a little assist success as a Ranger (and none that Stanley Cup run postseason: he wasn't among the 11 NYRs to score but played every game) and lose his scoring prowess altogether as a Maroon? If it's a case of team chemistry and ice time then his lack of performance may be less due to a lack of ability.

I typically like Horeck as a 3rd/4th liner. There are quotes about him fighting, and a comparison to Mike Peca for his open ice hitting, also calling him reckless. Sounds like a potential little sparkplug/wrecking ball of a 4th liner. But since he lasted through the AAA his offensive chops look quite strong here. With top-6 percentage scores of 296, he was within 5 total points of the highest scoring pre-expansion winger. So hopefully he works as a scoring line physical presence, despite his size. It's possible that he was a Granato with a shorter career from an era that it's harder to find info on.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ironmen select pivot Don Gallinger, the 5-year NHL pro who led the Bruins in assists and points in 1945-46 and in assists again two seasons later, 7th in league assists the 1947-48 season, scoring 153 NHL points in 222 NHL games, including 3 goals in the 1943 Stanley Cup Finals run and 6 points in the 1945 Finals run. Number 11, the nephew of HHOFer Shorty Green, was the second youngest NHLer in history at age 17 and centered the Kid Line until a gambling scandal ended a decent career five seasons later at the tender age of 22.

bruins12542.jpg

".. good shooting, swift skating..."

http://books.google.ca/books?id=wpb...BzgU#v=onepage&q=don gallinger bruins&f=false
He became known as Boston's "lamplighter" because of he was one of the mainstays on a team on its way up the ladder in the standings. Over the course of his early years in hockey, he had been offered contracts by baseball's Philadelphia Phillies and later the Boston Red Sox. Both times he turned down the offers because they were too small. With two sports from which to choose, if necessary, he was riding high in the sports world. But suddenly the bubble burst. At the same time as Billy "The Kid" Taylor was barred from professional hockey, Gallinger was handed an indefinite suspension stemming from his association with Detroit bookmaker and racketeer, James Tamer.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12673

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
The Muskies select C Oliver Seibert

seibert-oliver-l_zpse2b62848.jpg

Member of the Hockey Hall of Fame

Legends of Hockey:
Oliver Seibert was, by reputation, a very fast skater and versatile player. He actually began his hockey career as a goaltender, a position usually reserved for those who were weaker on the blades. But, he switched to centre by the time he stepped on the ice with Berlin in the Western Ontario Hockey Association in 1900. In his initial season he scored ten goals in eight games played and increased his production the following year to 13 goals in six games played. By 1902, his third year in the league, he led the scoring derby with 17 goals in eight games. Seibert was one of the first to use the wrist shot and it would seem that he found the mark more often than not.

and

LW Real Chevrefils

b31d622f548f42fb88e8741ec7d9e4c6fff5e0f1_zps2fc65efb.jpg

5'10, 180 lbs
Shoots L

5th in Goals 56-57
1956-57 2nd Team All-Star
Played in 1957 All-Star Game

104 G, 97 A, 201 Pts in 387 GP

Legends of Hockey:
Hap Emms, a longtime coach and general manager of some of the brightest junior stars ever to come out of Canada, once called Chevrefils the best player he had ever coached. "Chevy," as he was nicknamed, was known for his deft puckhandling and skating skills, had led Emms' Barrie Flyers to the Memorial Cup championship in 1951.

All Roads Lead to Hockey: Reports from Northern Canada to the Mexican Border By William T. Boyd

Real Chevrefils, who led the Memorial Cup-winning Barrie Flyers, was likely as talented as [Doug] Harvey but, after his promising beginning, alcohol made certain that he had a sad middle and a tragic end.

In 1955, Lynn Patrick, who had succeeded Art Ross as Bruins GM, predicted that Chevrefils "will be an all-star within three years, and within five years he'll be one of the best left wings ever to play in the league.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ironmen select Christian Bordeleau, the NHL and WHA championship-winning pivot who scored a goal in the 1969 Stanley Cup Habs win then returned to juniors to become a Memorial Cup star but who couldn't break into the line-up full time until he went to St. Louis where he had a decent season including a significant 7 game-winning goals before jumping to the WHA and immediately centering Winnipeg's top line all the way to the cup final, going on to record three 100+ point seasons and had 9 points against the Jets in the 1977 WHA championship for Quebec. He had 50 points in 53 WHA playoff games and retired 8th in WHA career assists and points. He was inducted into the WHA Hall of Fame.

484309465_3ec5604d6a.jpg

Legends of Hockey said:
... gifted with great speed and a knack for goal scoring...

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Re Collins: By now you probably know how dubious I am as to goalies who played before the goal net with a crossbar was invented.

But correct me if I'm wrong, but the following quote is more evidence of Collins' greatness as a player than we have for Tom Paton.

NY Times said:
Of the Montreal team, Collins, the goalkeeper, is known all over Canada as the best man playing in that position... his wonderful stops are features of every game he plays a part in.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ironmen select WHA Hall of fame defenseman Ron Plumb

Ronplumb.jpg

Cincinnati Magazine said:
Ron Plumb's biggest asset is his skating and his ability to move the puck out of the defending zone, and he's an exceptional shooter from the point in a power
play

A Peterborough Petes junior player who won the Max Kaminsky Trophy as the league's best defenceman in 1970, Plumb was drafted 9th overall by the Boston Bruins in the 1970 NHL Amateur Draft. After two seasons with the Bruins' Central Hockey League farm club Oklahoma City Blazers, he jumped to the upstart World Hockey Association Philadelphia Blazers in 1972.

In the WHA Plumb became a star, winning the Dennis A. Murphy Trophy as the WHA's best defenceman in 1977, and being selected a First or Second Team All-Star for much of the league's history.

He remained with the Blazers as they moved to Vancouver in the following season. Plumb then played for the San Diego Mariners in 1975, the Cincinnati Stingers for the following three seasons, and the New England Whalers. He then played one season in the National Hockey League with the Hartford Whalers
http://icehockey.wikia.com/wiki/Ron_Plumb

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Paton retired years before that. And there is more evidence than one NY Times quote for Paton!

Oh, there is lots of evidence as to all the championships Paton won, but I don't recall actually seeing anything indicating he was the best in the world (he probably was, but I would really like to see a contemporary source that actually says so). I guess Paton suffers from being so far back that even google archives barely covers the era. Pretty impressive to find NY Times quotes on hockey players from the 1890s regardless.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
About Paton

I´m really intrested in goalies evolution and I have gone through lot of old newspapers. Even going through those season by season its really hard to claim anyone as the best. This is maybe the strongest one from Paton that I have found.

Not 100% sure about the date. My notepads are really messy, but likely its from.
The Montreal Daily Herald - Feb 28, 1888
XXX retaliated by another grand run cloan through every one of his opponenets, who, he either knocked over or cleverly dodged, by the excellence of his head work, till at last he was opposite Paton. Then came his chance to "pass" but preferring to score off his own stick he shot at goal; puck being magnificently stopped by that phenomenal goal-keeper Paton, the six or seven hundred lookers on applauding hit to the echo. A mighty close call it was too.

But in 1880´s it was rare that someone was actually a "career goalkeeper". Many had only few game stints and many played other positions as well.

This is a from one of those all-around players. In this game he was defender, but sometimes he played as forward as well. It´s from 1888 season as well.
His best place is decidedly in goal. He is one of the best we have between the posts and as such should be kept there.

Actually Paton was replaced with one of those all-around players in 1887 season and played only one game as spare goalie (their forward was injured so the goalie was moved as forward and Paton took his place in goal) and one exhibition game (that I have seen mentioned in newspaper).

In 1890´s most of the teams already had a "career goalie".

Sorry about OT.

Last edited:

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Oh, there is lots of evidence as to all the championships Paton won, but I don't recall actually seeing anything indicating he was the best in the world (he probably was, but I would really like to see a contemporary source that actually says so). I guess Paton suffers from being so far back that even google archives barely covers the era. Pretty impressive to find NY Times quotes on hockey players from the 1890s regardless.

There is actually decent coverage from late 1880´s. Problem is that the dates are sometimes wrong. Sometimes some of the pages of last days paper are one the next day paper. Sometimes there might be gaps between two papers like there is jan 4 and next is jan 17. In many cases all of the days between are "piled" in the jan 4 paper.

Those old papers are only under ten pages long so the sport section is very easy to find+hockey seasons were very short. Those are very easy to research and don´t take much time.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Ironmen select Christian Bordeleau, the NHL and WHA championship-winning pivot who scored a goal in the 1969 Stanley Cup Habs win then returned to juniors to become a Memorial Cup star but who couldn't break into the line-up full time until he went to St. Louis where he had a decent season including a significant 7 game-winning goals before jumping to the WHA and immediately centering Winnipeg's top line all the way to the cup final, going on to record three 100+ point seasons and had 9 points against the Jets in the 1977 WHA championship for Quebec. He had 50 points in 53 WHA playoff games and retired 8th in WHA career assists and points. He was inducted into the WHA Hall of Fame.

484309465_3ec5604d6a.jpg

Damn it. I was hoping for a nice 1-2 punch of Bordeleau & Morrison.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Jake Forbes, Goalie

008115120.jpg

Legends Of Hockey:

Netminder Jake Forbes made over 200 NHL appearances during a pro career that lasted two decades. He was one of the most prominent goalies of the 1920s through his endurance on the ice and his staunch opinions off it.

Brian Mullen, Right Wing

4882-129Fr.jpg

He joined the New York Rangers for the 1987-88 season. This time, he was a regular in the home dressing room of Madison Square Garden. For four seasons he provided the steady production that marked his career. Unfortunately, the Rangers remained mired in their lack of post-season success.

When the NHL expanded to San Jose for the 1991-92 season, Brian Mullen became a Shark. In the first year of the club, he was second in team scoring.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad