The 2010 All-Time Draft (sign-up a team here)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I asked Dark Shadows, who, to me, should be our most coveted potential GM. Unfortunately, he is unable to participate this time.

Who are some other great HOH members who should get an invite? overpass, Kyle McMahon and TDMM used to be among my "most coveted", but they've since crossed over.

Maybe reckoning? or Big phil? MS, perhaps?

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
Billy_Shoe1721 - Malmo Redhawks
markrander87 - Chief De Laval
Velociraptor - California Golden Seals
hungryhungryhippy - Vancouver Maroons
NGARV - Edmonton Armadillos
Nighthawks - New Haven Nighthawks

:welcome:

ATD12: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=698578
ATD11: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=639759
ATD10: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=570189

These past draft threads should give you some idea of how it goes.

I've been looking at some of the past ATD's def. up to the task!!!

markrander87

Jan 22, 2010
If one of the rookies is looking for a consultant, I'd be willing to help out. Not a co-GM. Just someone who can provide advice, tips, GM scouting reports, a consistent presence on the boards, etc. But it will need to be a situation where it's going to be beneficial, and not argumentative.

For sure man i'll def fire you a couple pm's regarding questions and advice...thanks a lot man

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
two GMs have PM'd me about their perhaps not being able to have the time to do it so we may have gone from 30 down to a nice balanced 28 anyways...

Nighthawks

Feb 5, 2010
CT
Shucks, thanks. :innocent: I thought so. Certainly a great concept team playing a very distinctive style. I don't think I ever planned and executed such a thought-out plan in my life. Very fun. I learned a lot about hockey history in the process of researching for that.

Looks like I do have a lot ahead of me. I skimmed through some of the past ATDs and after round 5-6 it really starts to get interesting how teams begin to evolve. I'm excited to see the draft order when it's released tomorrow.

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
Looks like I do have a lot ahead of me. I skimmed through some of the past ATDs and after round 5-6 it really starts to get interesting how teams begin to evolve. I'm excited to see the draft order when it's released tomorrow.

I'll end the suspense for you....I'll be somewhere between 11-17.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
If one of the rookies is looking for a consultant, I'd be willing to help out. Not a co-GM. Just someone who can provide advice, tips, GM scouting reports, a consistent presence on the boards, etc. But it will need to be a situation where it's going to be beneficial, and not argumentative.

I'll be sure to, thanks.

Also, I am so up for this, looks like a lot of fun and I have much knowledge on the games past and present.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I was thinking, if you and GBC are getting tired of the ATD, it might just be you need a change of draft order...

There's an idea that might refresh the draft without compromising its' integrity or making any major changes - when drawing the names for the draft order, try to give people a different placement each time around. You can draw 10 names for 1-10 that have never drafted there before, etc.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I asked Dark Shadows, who, to me, should be our most coveted potential GM. Unfortunately, he is unable to participate this time.

Who are some other great HOH members who should get an invite? overpass, Kyle McMahon and TDMM used to be among my "most coveted", but they've since crossed over.

Maybe reckoning? or Big phil? MS, perhaps?

Any of those three would be great. I assume VI messaged all of them though?

I messaged Classic Devil from the Devils board - he's the Devils forum's go-to guy for putting together all-time NJ Devil teams.

Maybe the guy who was putting together all the all-time teams for that simulator? Prophecy35. Did you message him, VI?

Of course, it would be great to get Joe Pelletier :)

Last edited:

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Is Joe Pelletier on this forum actually the guy who runs Greatesthockeylegends.com?

I hope I get a top-10 pick. I am sick of drafting near the end in hockey-related drafts.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Prophecy35 would be a good guy to email as he likes this kind of thing.

I have emailed back and forth with Joe Pelletier a lot before (He's actually the one who showed me the lot of 450 books that was up for auction that I've since won) - He knows about the ATD and despite my best efforts to convince him, I didn't get the impression he'd ultimately join. Same with DaveG when he came to Regina for the WJC. That guy was a great contributor to the top-100 project.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
What was the shipping cost for that? :amazed:

Let's just say, way more than I expected. Way more.

Actually, let me explain. In my projections for how much I expected to pay for this lot, I accounted for $250 for shipping. (One book costs about $6, Four books might cost $12 total, I thought at enough volume it would eventually cross below a buck a book.

WRONG!

They sent me my invoice and it included $450 for shipping. I paid, then, the day they were ready to ship they told me that they needed another $250 for shipping. So $700 when all was said and done.

I'd still do it again. I got some books I always wanted, others that I had known about but didn't realize I wanted until I had browsed them, others that I knew were too rare for me to ever consider buying on their own, and others I didn't even know existed.

The lot turned out to be 500 books, not 450. I am left with 350 that are for sale either because I already had them, or didn't want them due to redundancy or frivolity. I wish I could keep everything, but life is too short to read all of those books. I'm currently cataloguing them and have about 8 interested parties hoping to get a nice deal on a pile of books. Whatever's left I will put on abebooks.

If anyone wants to be added to that list, just let me know and I'll advise you of what I have when I am done.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
Yes, that's the guy.

Though, he's not here that often.

Wow. I like his work.

It seems odd to me he isn't interested in doing something like this, with all that time spent on bioing players (even if won't have to do too much research as a result, the ATD is still unique for first-timers.) It's too bad.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I should pick a Defenceman with a touch of offense in the first round right?

All up to you. There aren't really any "should's" in this as far as team building goes (technially, although if you want your team well ranked there is), although depending on where you draft you would likely want to pick from a certain group of players likely the best remaining (you can see past drafts to give you an idea of who those are). Players from every position get selected. Due to the quality of first rounders, every defenceman picked in the first round is quite often of quality in all aspects, although there are exceptions. Every defenceman in the first round tends to have quality offensive ability as well.

NGARV

Feb 1, 2010
Edmonton
All up to you. There aren't any "should's" in this, although depending on where you draft you would likely want to pick from a certain group of players likely the best remaining (you can see past drafts to give you an idea of who those are). Players from every position get selected. Due to the quality of first rounders, every defenceman picked in the first round is quite often of quality in all aspects, although there are exceptions. Every defenceman in the first round tends to have quality offensive ability as well.

Thanks i am going to crash and burn I'm only fifteen and am not as crazy about hockey history as the rest of you guys. I guess I'm just nervous that I might make a rookie mistake or some kind of taboo. Obviously there is the top guys but after the first couple rounds I don't know enough hockey history (yet) to be able to make great selections from the past. However I hope that this can be a learning year so I can become a better ATDer. Anyway it's all for fun and I am really jacked (excited wise) :yo:

Last edited:

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I should pick a Defenceman with a touch of offense in the first round right?

Look at past ATDs for a rough idea of who usually gets picked where. Not all past picks are the "right" picks by any means, but you get a general concept of what people look at.

If you see names you don't recognize, google them. In general, hockey-reference.com is the best stats site, and greatesthockeylegends.com and legendsofhockey.net have more in-depth biographical information.

Oh, and don't be afraid of criticism. A lot of the long-time GMs are like sharks when someone does something unexpected, but it's all in good fun.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
just wanted to drop a line on here to you guys...

I know the deadline passed, so if anyone backs out of a team on here, please PM me as I would be interested in taking a team over. I really am not looking for a co-gm thing, and I am familiar with how this works...just an f.y.i

thanks guys..and god luck to all...i'll be keeping an eye on how things evolve.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Thanks i am going to crash and burn I'm only fifteen and am not as crazy about hockey history as the rest of you guys. I guess I'm just nervous that I might make a rookie mistake or some kind of taboo. Obviously there is the top guys but after the first couple rounds I don't know enough hockey history (yet) to be able to make great selections from the past. However I hope that this can be a learning year so I can become a better ATDer. Anyway it's all for fun and I am really jacked (excited wise)

Excellent; I look forward to having a part in shaping the mind of a young aspiring hockey historian.

Look at past ATDs for a rough idea of who usually gets picked where. Not all past picks are the "right" picks by any means, but you get a general concept of what people look at.

If you see names you don't recognize, google them. In general, hockey-reference.com is the best stats site, and greatesthockeylegends.com and legendsofhockey.com have more in-depth biographical information.

Oh, and don't be afraid of criticism. A lot of the long-time GMs are like sharks when someone does something unexpected, but it's all in good fun.

TDMM is right. The lists from the past two drafts can be very useful. If there's a guy you're considering and he was only taken in the minor league draft, that's likely where he belongs. Keep in mind, I said "likely" and not "definitely" - pay attention to the arguments presented by the GM who took a player. Was the pick well-received by other GMs? Was it criticized? Did two GMs go "**** you!!!" after he made the pick? And so on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad