Post-Game Talk: Thats all she wrote.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Habs fan coming in peace.

I think you will look back fondly on this game, this is a new team and you shouldn't look too much at the past with them. It was a growing pains season from start to finish. Tonight Bergeron-Marchand showed Matthews-Nylander-Marner what it means to perform when it is time. It seems like the story of the 3rd can be simply resumed by the expression "Mens among boys" when thinking about Bergeron's performance. This won't happen every year, the kids will grow up. A 25-28 years old Matthews will be a much different player than today.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Couldn't get it out of their own end to save their lives
Credit the Bruins

I do think the Bruins were the better team throughout but the Leafs didn't even try to get away from the stretch pass. It was bizarre watching some of their more effective breakouts occur under real pressure, when the forwards were close enough together to support the puck as it moved away from the Leafs net. when they had possession of the puck and Boston sat two forwards back they just kept using the dman rattles it around the boards up the right side. again I think the Bruins deserved the win but my estimation of Babcock as a coach has f***ing plummeted.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Habs fan coming in peace.

I think you will look back fondly on this game, this is a new team and you shouldn't look too much at the past with them. It was a growing pains season from start to finish. Tonight Bergeron-Marchand showed Matthews-Nylander-Marner what it means to perform when it is time. It seems like the story of the 3rd can be simply resumed by the expression "Mens among boys" when thinking about Bergeron's performance. This won't happen every year, the kids will grow up. A 25-28 years old Matthews will be a much different player than today.
I really don’t think this will ever be looked at fondly. This game wasn’t a cute puppy. No matter what happens in the next few years this isn’t a fond memory game.

Can the team grow from this? Sure. Will they? Who f***ing knows. Thought they learned something from last year and that didn’t prove to be true.

One thing that is true though. The young core of this team has some growing up to do.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I do think the Bruins were the better team throughout but the Leafs didn't even try to get away from the stretch pass. It was bizarre watching some of their more effective breakouts occur under real pressure, when the forwards were close enough together to support the puck as it moved away from the Leafs net. when they had possession of the puck and Boston sat two forwards back they just kept using the dman rattles it around the boards up the right side. again I think the Bruins deserved the win but my estimation of Babcock as a coach has ****ing plummeted.

I have to comment on this...

Toronto sucks when they use the stretch pass. Wilson abused it, Carlyle tried it and now Babcock. Our teams have never much luck when we revert to that sort of play. Even the shortened season against Boston and prior it was all short pass short pass and up the ice with speed. It works, the stretch pass only works with the best players and with guys like Kapanen. I see it as a coach cheating and not trusting his team.

Yeah Babcock didn't play us the right way vs Boston and it's why we lost so bad in 3 of the games.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
These past 2 yrs will be the closest the Leafs get to a cup under Babcock...player loss and player tune out are evident. Yet it will take some a few more seasons to see the cracks in this coaching style EURO/EGO..its all about Mike..

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
These past 2 yrs will be the closest the Leafs get to a cup under Babcock...player loss and player tune out are evident. Yet it will take some a few more seasons to see the cracks in this coaching style EURO/EGO..its all about Mike..

Can you name 5 coaches youd rather have coaching the Leafs? Im curious who you think would allow for a better outcome?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is still a young team. Here’s hoping they can get to the levels of Vegas GK some day.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Can you name 5 coaches youd rather have coaching the Leafs? Im curious who you think would allow for a better outcome?

Its not about what coach would have had a better outcome..its, anyone knowing Babcock and his coaching style/Ego knows he brings too much baggage to a team. His ability to tear down his own team internally is definitely not a plus...Its all about Mike.
Lou brought in players to get this team past the hump..Badcocks Ego did not allow them to be played.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
boston played like the best team in the league 3/4 of the season, couple that with all the playoff and stanley cup experience. And we took that team to 7 games without ever playing close to our best game, with sub par performances almost team wide we lost in the 3rd period of game 7

yeah i think we will be ok

Reactions: egd27

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
Its not about what coach would have had a better outcome..its, anyone knowing Babcock and his coaching style/Ego knows he brings too much baggage to a team. His ability to tear down his own team internally is definitely not a plus...Its all about Mike.
Lou brought in players to get this team past the hump..Badcocks Ego did not allow them to be played.

Yes it is about better outcomes,, ie. winning. Can you name 5 coaches youd rather have coaching the Leafs? Im curious.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I think people have to get off Andersen. I will agree goal 4 and 5 were very soft goals but the puck was never out of their end. He was constantly on the clock and never had time to catch his breath. Christ, Rassk couldn't keep the puck out of his own net but never saw a puck for the first five mins of the third.

Want to blame someone and point the finger, point it at the D core and their inability to clear the zone with their stupid little cute passes, bone headed plays and lack of toughness. Other then Polak, not one of them can take the body. Gardiner probably had the worst game seven by any d-man in history and that is including Smith scoring on Fuhr, his own goalie to hand Calgary the win back in the 80's.

There is no way you can come back with Gardiner on this team. You can't count on him, he implodes under pressure, can't trust him, can't be on this team.

Start by getting rid of him, Zaitsev and see if there is a way to get Plekanec here on the short term, he is the only guy that can play a shut down role.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Blaming coach is just stupid talk here really. There is only one way for the small leafs to stretch out the Boston defence to open up Boston out of its small ice hockey and that is speed to the puck, the stretch pass and then speed on their defence. Like it or not Carlyle and Babcock are nhl coaches and they both figured it out and got to exactly the same result. If either of those leafs teams could have played small wall hockey then they would have employed that breakout. This is just not in the Leafs playbook. They do not have the personnel to play that game. If you can't get your head around that then everything else is pointless. I have said this a million times this was not a stats man series. Last night Boston executed its game plan and imposed its small ice game on Leafs.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I have to comment on this...

Toronto sucks when they use the stretch pass. Wilson abused it, Carlyle tried it and now Babcock. Our teams have never much luck when we revert to that sort of play. Even the shortened season against Boston and prior it was all short pass short pass and up the ice with speed. It works, the stretch pass only works with the best players and with guys like Kapanen. I see it as a coach cheating and not trusting his team.

Yeah Babcock didn't play us the right way vs Boston and it's why we lost so bad in 3 of the games.

I am a big Gardiner fan so I usually look to make excuses, I mean he was so bad last night and deserves the criticism he's getting (mostly), but I really do think you could see he was kind of trapped and unable to function within the constraints that had been placed on the dmen in the breakout scheme. when Andersen was pulled he actually had a rush where he carried the puck from his own end through traffic in the neutral zone to gain entry, it was jarring to see it after so many launch passes throughout the series and especially after the two goals tonight that came after failed "up the boards" plays. it honestly did seem like he was told not to try to skate the puck out at even strength. and well I think his brain sort of short circuited within the confines of his situation.

Reactions: thewave

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
We all know how bad the Leafs D is, there is no other reason why this team lost (Andersen wasn't great last night, but is the only reason we got to Game 7 in the first place)

Fact is, they are still an evolving team, who will learn from this and continue to get better. Most people on here have no clue and no patience.

If anyone thinks this is on Babcock, they are a fool.
If anyone thinks this is on Gardiner, they are a fool.
If anyone thinks this in on Andersen, they are a fool.

They got beat by a better team, plain and simple. Boston is probably the best team in the league. We fought hard, and came up short. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Now, Lou and Co have to find a way to make this D corps better. Through trade or free agency, I dont care, just make it better. We have Kapanen, Johnsson and perhaps Grundstrom to slot in at forward, we just need to keep Hainsey on the 3rd pair and add a true top pairing D.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am a big Gardiner fan so I usually look to make excuses, I mean he was so bad last night and deserves the criticism he's getting (mostly), but I really do think you could see he was kind of trapped and unable to function within the constraints that had been placed on the dmen in the breakout scheme. when Andersen was pulled he actually had a rush where he carried the puck from his own end through traffic in the neutral zone to gain entry, it was jarring to see it after so many launch passes throughout the series and especially after the two goals tonight that came after failed "up the boards" plays. it honestly did seem like he was told not to try to skate the puck out at even strength. and well I think his brain sort of short circuited within the confines of his situation.

If anyone actually thinks they werent playing as they practiced and were told, they haven't a clue.

I called out coaching on game 1. I have no problems calling out coaching on the series but the individual efforts were not there either.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We all know how bad the Leafs D is, there is no other reason why this team lost (Andersen wasn't great last night, but is the only reason we got to Game 7 in the first place)

Fact is, they are still an evolving team, who will learn from this and continue to get better. Most people on here have no clue and no patience.

If anyone thinks this is on Babcock, they are a fool.
If anyone thinks this is on Gardiner, they are a fool.
If anyone thinks this in on Andersen, they are a fool.

They got beat by a better team, plain and simple. Boston is probably the best team in the league. We fought hard, and came up short. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Now, Lou and Co have to find a way to make this D corps better. Through trade or free agency, I dont care, just make it better. We have Kapanen, Johnsson and perhaps Grundstrom to slot in at forward, we just need to keep Hainsey on the 3rd pair and add a true top pairing D.

You just proved to me you don't really know what you are talking about regarding competitive sport. They play as instructed, what they were doing was not working and no adjustments were made. That does not absolve individual efforts or lack there of.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Blaming coach is just stupid talk here really. There is only one way for the small leafs to stretch out the Boston defence to open up Boston out of its small ice hockey and that is speed to the puck, the stretch pass and then speed on their defence. Like it or not Carlyle and Babcock are nhl coaches and they both figured it out and got to exactly the same result. If either of those leafs teams could have played small wall hockey then they would have employed that breakout. This is just not in the Leafs playbook. They do not have the personnel to play that game. If you can't get your head around that then everything else is pointless. I have said this a million times this was not a stats man series. Last night Boston executed its game plan and imposed its small ice game on Leafs.

appreciate this insight, you obviously know your shit and have lots of money maybe from knowing other shit? but anyway I think in both cases 'the same result' was being under siege for 5-6-7 minutes at a time, multiple times a game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad