Post-Game Talk: Thats all she wrote.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
Sure we do and did, we used it at times. We tried different things all the time. There was no point in watching them take the play to us and not pressuring Boston in our end. They always had a man open for a shot and at the wall. Even without pressure we couldn't clear the puck because they read our plays and were likely laughing about it.

Nothing to read other than get it deep, to the left of the net. It’s not complicated at all been that way for the last number of years. Leafs are effective if the other team plays a similar style to them. If a team can set up a cycle forecheck, not a fast rush, the d gets exploited. If Goalie is less than excellent, they lose

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We were the underdogs going in, but it still sucks to lose in a collapsing fashion.

I'll say this though, we 'll be right back in the playoffs next year.

The 7 goals against in a game 7 was historically tied for the 4th worst mark among all NHL teams all-time.

That's embarrassing !!!!

Leafs gave 4 goals against in a span of 16+ minutes during their collapse in 2013 and 4 more this year in a little over 18 minutes this time.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Yup. And I really hope everyone noticed how JVR played. MIA

And apparently there'a a GoFundMe account set up to buy out Gardiner's contract lol

I do feel bad for gardiner, I ripped him last night but to see him front up and shoulder the responsibility that's pretty gutsy, doesn't change his horrible game but should be taken into account a little bit.

Reactions: francis246

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I do feel bad for gardiner, I ripped him last night but to see him front up and shoulder the responsibility that's pretty gutsy, doesn't change his horrible game but should be taken into account a little bit.

It just happens far too often. But good on him for doing that
A few others could do the same

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Nothing to read other than get it deep, to the left of the net. It’s not complicated at all been that way for the last number of years. Leafs are effective if the other team plays a similar style to them. If a team can set up a cycle forecheck, not a fast rush, the d gets exploited. If Goalie is less than excellent, they lose

There are ways to mitigate that though, adjust. Babcock is just too stubborn. Unfortunate side to him is reluctance to do that and the tendency to ride vets.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
It just happens far too often. But good on him for doing that
A few others could do the same

yeah they could. I don't want the kids coming out a doing that just yet, its only their 2nd playoff series in only their 2nd seasons. As long as they are learning from it. Players 25 and above with more than a few seasons under their belt yeah they should be all putting their hands up and saying I should of played better. Kadri for example with his suspension cost us more than gardiner did this series

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Not going to win a series with Matthews scoring one goal

But we saw it all year, they get hemmed in their own zone and it's almost comical that they just can't clear the damn puck out. They tire out, the other team scores

Reactions: dsred

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
IMO we tanked the first 2 games of the series and that was the end of the Leafs. And then they won game 5 and 6 and gave me hope that maybe it was possible. But looking at Boston's home record, I really didn't think we were winning this game. I guess I was right. So the lesson was you can't start a series halfway through, just like you can't start a game in the 2nd period. Because in the end you are going to lose if you don't play a full 60 mins or a full series. You have to show up for every game.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well I didn't watch the game.

Don't like driving down dead end streets so usually avoid them.

Bruins were the better team during the season, and if we're being honest other than the Sharks-Ducks, all the favorites won.

Just looking at stats, but how does Gardiner end up -5 and Polak +3?

Flames guys talking in Calgary about the "exit" from the playoffs saying "you got a brand new right wing we have an extra right d. Why don't we get together see what we can see..."

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
yeah they could. I don't want the kids coming out a doing that just yet, its only their 2nd playoff series in only their 2nd seasons. As long as they are learning from it. Players 25 and above with more than a few seasons under their belt yeah they should be all putting their hands up and saying I should of played better. Kadri for example with his suspension cost us more than gardiner did this series

this is gardiners 3rd playoff series. he really doesn't have all that much more experience than they do. all together it;s a young team that's still learning how to win. To me the biggest difference between 2013 gardiner and 2018 is that, our defense core in 2013 may have been shit on paper but they were reliable defenders who were mobile. Gardiner didn't have to carry his pairing he could trust his partner. Get him a reliable RHD and he'll be fine.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Well I didn't watch the game.

Don't like driving down dead end streets so usually avoid them.

Bruins were the better team during the season, and if we're being honest other than the Sharks-Ducks, all the favorites won.

Just looking at stats, but how does Gardiner end up -5 and Polak +3?

Flames guys talking in Calgary about the "exit" from the playoffs saying "you got a brand new right wing we have an extra right d. Why don't we get together see what we can see..."

I keep seeing this stat, everyone knows QOC is a thing right? Polak does not play against Bostons 1st or even 2nd lines as much as babcock can control those things.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
this is gardiners 3rd playoff series. he really doesn't have all that much more experience than they do. all together it;s a young team that's still learning how to win. To me the biggest difference between 2013 gardiner and 2018 is that, our defense core in 2013 may have been **** on paper but they were reliable defenders who were mobile. Gardiner didn't have to carry his pairing he could trust his partner. Get him a reliable RHD and he'll be fine.

yeah you are right perhaps I should of said 2nd playoff series in 2nd season for the kids. Gardiners 3rd playoff series in 7 seasons,

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
this is gardiners 3rd playoff series. he really doesn't have all that much more experience than they do. all together it;s a young team that's still learning how to win. To me the biggest difference between 2013 gardiner and 2018 is that, our defense core in 2013 may have been **** on paper but they were reliable defenders who were mobile. Gardiner didn't have to carry his pairing he could trust his partner. Get him a reliable RHD and he'll be fine.

Yeah maybe it's the contrarian in me but I tend to agree. Ditching Gardiner will not make the team better, upgrading our defence though, yes for sure.

Reactions: francis246

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
There are ways to mitigate that though, adjust. Babcock is just too stubborn. Unfortunate side to him is reluctance to do that and the tendency to ride vets.

Maybe, I doubt there’s a strategy to mitigate the lack of skill. Especially in the playoffs. Especially if you have championship aspirations. The only solution is more skill on the backend especially RH

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I wonder how many more goals against Gardiner it would have taken for Babs to start playing Dermott a bit more and Gardiner less. Gardiner played 24 mins last night and was just terrible. Finished a -5. While Dermott only played 11 mins.

Its ridiculous how much more of an advantage and leeway veterans get from Babcock, especially in very important games.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I keep seeing this stat, everyone knows QOC is a thing right? Polak does not play against Bostons 1st or even 2nd lines as much as babcock can control those things.

Obviously, but we aren't talking a small difference are we ... the difference is 8.

But I just watched the goals, and brutal goaltending on some of the goals, and brutal coverage on some. Two defenders and Marner behind the net on one goal against? Made it easy for the Bruins, probably glad I didn't watch, looks like a complete meltdown.

But hey, Kapanen scored a shorty.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I wonder how many more goals against Gardiner it would have taken for Babs to start playing Dermott a bit more and Gardiner less. Gardiner played 24 mins last night and was just terrible. Finished a -5. While Dermott only played 11 mins.

Its ridiculous how much more of an advantage and leeway veterans get from Babcock, especially in very important games.

dermott was not good in the series, why would he start playing a rookie defender more minutes in a brutal situation. Not sure anyone on the leafs back end would have helped against the bruins on slaught. Gardiner will bounce back from being a -5. But imagine dermott was a -3 or -4, that would have destroyed his confidence.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Babcock dropped the ball last night and while it was happening he defaulted to good pro and many other Babcockisms that don't actually work as well as he thinks. He is a good coach but he doesn't recover well to being outsmarted. He will believe he is better and smarter and play them his way. Sometimes coaches are outsmarted and blame the players saying things like compete when in actuality the other team just had a strategy that he had no answer tom

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
dermott was not good in the series, why would he start playing a rookie defender more minutes in a brutal situation. Not sure anyone on the leafs back end would have helped against the bruins on slaught. Gardiner will bounce back from being a -5. But imagine dermott was a -3 or -4, that would have destroyed his confidence.
Dude scores the game tying goal and what does he get rewarded with?

The bench. Great confidence boost.

Worst case scenario, I doubt he would have been much worse than Gardiner. Sometimes you have to see what a player is capable of.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Dude scores the game tying goal and what does he get rewarded with?

The bench. Great confidence boost.

Worst case scenario, I doubt he would have been much worse than Gardiner. Sometimes you have to see what a player is capable of.

it's about protecting a young player, i really don't think Dermott would have made a difference. The bruins forecheck was too much. They were the better team. I think people need to accept our defense is not good all around.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad