Value of: Thatcher Demko's next contract

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Benning has done real well locking up his RFA's, not sure what you are on about.

"Real well". Boeser and Horvat contracts are decent, Virtanen is looking like a really nice contract. Motte has developed well, but was a w.e player when signed as an RFA.

$3.3 for Baert is not "real well". Stetcher was a low contract for a low impact player. He signed Gudbrandson 1Y at 3.5 as an RFA, and then signed him as a UFA for 4x3...That's gonna be a fail from me there, dude is out there anchoring one of the worst D cores in the league.

From what I can tell, those are his bigger RFA signings in the last 4 years, because he blows his wad on UFA whenever possible. I have no issues with the first three contracts, but that's a pretty small sample size for a proclamation he does "real well". I wouldn't trust this guy to really negotiate anything after his repeated UFA failures, and he's got some bigger named players coming up that are going to want actual money.

Hey, maybe the Canucks will resign Benning, who knows.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
"Real well". Boeser and Horvat contracts are decent, Virtanen is looking like a really nice contract. Motte has developed well, but was a w.e player when signed as an RFA.

$3.3 for Baert is not "real well". Stetcher was a low contract for a low impact player. He signed Gudbrandson 1Y at 3.5 as an RFA, and then signed him as a UFA for 4x3...That's gonna be a fail from me there, dude is out there anchoring one of the worst D cores in the league.

From what I can tell, those are his bigger RFA signings in the last 4 years, because he blows his wad on UFA whenever possible. I have no issues with the first three contracts, but that's a pretty small sample size for a proclamation he does "real well". I wouldn't trust this guy to really negotiate anything after his repeated UFA failures, and he's got some bigger named players coming up that are going to want actual money.

Hey, maybe the Canucks will resign Benning, who knows.
Sure, but don't omit that Baertschi was trending well until the consussions became a huge issue. If we are going to dock Benning for the Gudbranson signing, then we should be give him an eaqual amount of credit for turning that deal in Pearson.

Benning does not need to be resigned, he is under contract.

Reactions: PettersonHughes

Ita

Mar 11, 2019
I get where you are going with this, and agree 100%. Whether it plays out like you have here, or something else, There are options to create a little more space.
While 7.2 is not a ton of money, there is value out there. Look at a team like Florida who got Gudas, Wenneberg and Duclair for a little over 6. There is less cap space in the league this year, and more UFA's, many who will be looking for 1 year deals to get through the cap freeze.

I'd bring back Hawryluk for sure, he has looked good in our bottom 6 and has some real upside.

Don't really think Eriksson is worth buying out. Holtby definitely makes sense though.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Don't really think Eriksson is worth buying out. Holtby definitely makes sense though.
No, I wouldn't buy out LE, nor do I think Aquilini would either. Roussel makes some sense, as does Holtby.

Nor sure what it would take to get Seattle to take one of the 2, but would be worth exploring that option as well. I'd be curious to see if DiPietro would move the needle at all.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Benning has done real well locking up his RFA's, not sure what you are on about.

What rfa's has he locked up? Virtanen 2yr 2.55m cap hit and Boeser on a 3 yr deal just under 6m?

He has Pettersson, Hughes AND Demko to sign all in 1 off season. Last off season he "RAN OUT OF TIME" when it came to making room to keep a top 6 F he rented at the TDL.

JB, if he is still the GM is going to make or break this team this upcoming off season. Demko only 2 years from UFA, so can't give him a short term deal to let him test the market in his 20s. Hughes has no arb rights, so a 2 or 3 year deal is what I am assuming he will be after. Petey, hard to say... has to show he can stay healthy but going longer term with him now might save us cap wise going forward depending on the ask. Or he goes for the Barzal type deal and we then have to pay top dollar to multiple players in 2-3 years.

Either way this off season is huge for the team going forward, would be nice if we had a President of Hockey Operations to help oversee how this team is going to look, but the Owner is saving $ having the GM do that as part of his job...maybe that is why he "Ran out of time" haha!

Either way, Demko needs to be locked up as he is the reason we are doing alright. The D is still needing an upgrade and the bottom 6 is dead weight.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
Luckily the bottom-6 junk contracts are clearing out in the next couple of years, something like $4-$5 million a season x say 4 years wouldn't be bad at all granted that Demko stays hot. Then $7 million for 4 years for each of Quinn and Pete, as someone mentioned above, lets the team really restock and reshape, and we can even take on a contract that a team can't keep with the ED.

(Total sidenote, I really can't wait until Beagle, Loui and Roussel's contracts are off the books and are replaced by competent depth guys and ELC's)

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
VAN has $25.7M in cap space with EP/Hughes needing new deals, likely $8M each. Doubt he'll earn more than Holtby - $4.3M. I believe they want to leave some cap space and offer a Bridge deal - $4m @ 2 years.

Why the f*** would Hughes get $8m when Sergachev is @ $4.8m & McAvoy is @ $4.9m. That's nuts, man. He's not an $8m player.

Demko should absolutely make more than Holtby & has the starts & numbers to prove it. $5.5m is probably around what it'd take on a short term contract.

Pettersson getting $8m is crazy talk too. He should be around Schiefele, but I can see him getting $7m+ on a long term contract.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think if they do 8 x $6M AAV the Canucks hit it out of the park. But they also gotta worry about Hughes and Pettersson this off-season, soon Boeser.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Why the f*** would Hughes get $8m when Sergachev is @ $4.8m & McAvoy is @ $4.9m. That's nuts, man. He's not an $8m player.

Demko should absolutely make more than Holtby & has the starts & numbers to prove it. $5.5m is probably around what it'd take on a short term contract.

Pettersson getting $8m is crazy talk too. He should be around Schiefele, but I can see him getting $7m+ on a long term contract.

Scheifele signed his contract in 2016.

And Sergechev isn’t nearly as impactful an offensive player as Hughes.

Your comparisons are not relevant.

Canucks will be lucky to get either/both at $8m cap hits long term.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

Sergachev and McAvoy are better defenseman than Hughes. Only D becoming UFAs get that kind of money not RFAs coming off their rookie contract. Vancouver has control here.

With the flat cap, Hughes isn't getting $8m.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Sergachev and McAvoy are better defenseman than Hughes. Only D becoming UFAs get that kind of money not RFAs coming off their rookie contract. Vancouver has control here.

Offensive players bank more than all-around/defensive.

There’s very few D as offensively skilled as Hughes.

The only way Hughes gets less than $8m is on a bridge.

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT

I agree with the flat cap comment, but Sergachev does not have the same value as Hughes.

zcaptain

Apr 4, 2012
It isn't really as bad as you think, even Benning should be able to figure this one out:

Miller5.25Pettersson7Boeser5.88
Hoglander0.89Horvat 5.5Virtanen2.55
Motte1.2Podkolzin0.9
Roussel3Beagle3MacEwan0.88
Gaudette0.75
Edler4Myers6
Hughes7Schmidt5.95
Juolevi1.2
Rathbone0.93
Demko4.9
Luongo3.03Cap Penalty
Ferland0LTIR
Eriksson4Buyout
Holtby0.5Buyout
Total Cap74.31Mil
Cap Space7.19Mil
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
7.19mil to sign a depth winger, back up goalie, bottom pairing defenseman, and 3rd line center. It can be done. It isn't an elite roster, but as long as we're smart and continue building for the year after we'll be perfectly fine.

Solid thinking!

I think Gaudette is a little hopeful thinking, and could possibly be traded as a sweetener to move someone. (albeit not a big sweetener), But with Lind in the minors and going to be exposed at the start of the 2021-2022 season, the Canucks have to make a tough decision on Gaudette. Maybe something around Gaudette and Roussel for futures type of deal.

But just using your scenario, a 3rd line center = 3.5 Million, Tryamkin = 2.25, and a back up at 1 million, is within your budget.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016

I don't think there's a chance in hell either guy gets 8 million. That to me says kids no longer have to earn a payday.

Would be absolutely ludicrous and i like the Canucks.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I have 2 questions.

If they were trade Demko, what are Vancouver’s top needs.

Please name 1 or 2 worst contracts you have and want to get rid of please.

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
Demko's gonna get paid; Benning is in quite the jam with him, Hughes, and Pettersson all up in the offseason...unless all 3 take short-term bridges or massive hometown discounts, Benning's gonna have to think of selling offensive assets to balance it all out and that doesn't even factor in fixing that lackluster D core...moving any of their dead weight contracts isn't gonna be easy and they aren't really in a position to hand out picks for other teams to take on them either...just as with Montreal last year, that bubble playoff run made them think they were much closer to contending than they really are...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad