Value of: Thatcher Demko's next contract

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Here's a list of contracts RFA starting goalies coming off of a bridge (sans Binnington) signed during this CBA. I expect he ends up around 5 AAV × 4 years.

NameAgeAAVYearsCap%
Vasilevskiy259.5811.66
Rask267810.89
Price246.5510.83
Bobrovsky267.45410.17
Varlamov255.959.18
Holtby256.158.54
Gibson256.488.05
Hellebuyck256.16667.76
Murray266.2547.67
Andersen26557.00
Schneider26436.67
Allen254.3545.96
Bernier264.1525.81
Binnington264.425.40
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd be really happy with either a 3yr x 4 bridge deal, or 6x6 on the longer end. I think 3x 7 bridge deals will be pretty close to what EP and Hughes get.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Isn’t demko one of the best goalie this season and you think he’ll sign for less than 5.5?

Yes, I do actually, for a couple of reasons:

1) Demko has had one good season as a starter, there is definitely risk for the team to sign him longterm. The alternative would be a 1 year deal, because the team will not go two years. I wouldn't think Demko would want a 1 year deal, if his play regresses at all in his sophomore year he will lower his chances on a long term more lucrative deal. In this case by taking 4.9mil at 5 years he guarantees himself 24.5 million on earnings, it's the smart choice for a goalie in his situation. But hey, I'd be fine with a 1 year deal as well, but that deal will probably only be worth 4.9mil or so anyways as a RFA. Then, the following offseason if he plays well, he may get in the 5.5mil range. He's taking on a decent amount of risk for not much more over the same time span.

2) Demko has two RFA years left that we should be able to buy for cheap. If we take those two years at 4mil, and the following three years at 6mil, that averages out at 5.33mil per season. It isn't unreasonable to assume Demko could leave a few dollars on the table in the form of a hometown discount to assist a team on the rise, it's common for young players to do that if they want to build a winning team. Plus, Demko knows what our cap situation is, he also knows he has to re-sign in the same offseason as Pettersson and Hughes, I think he will be somewhat mentally prepared to take a bit less all things considered.

I could be wrong, just my best guess.

JAK

Non-registered User
Jul 10, 2010
Dim Jim has left himself zero wiggle room living “day by day” as he so eloquently put it. 23ish Million to sign Petey, Quinn & Demko. It’s gonna take some real skill to fit them all in not to mention fill other spots.

There are plenty of wiggle rooms with buyouts, check the buyout calculators on capfriendly. Just have to be creative

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Dim Jim has left himself zero wiggle room living “day by day” as he so eloquently put it. 23ish Million to sign Petey, Quinn & Demko. It’s gonna take some real skill to fit them all in not to mention fill other spots.

It isn't really as bad as you think, even Benning should be able to figure this one out:

Miller5.25Pettersson7Boeser5.88
Hoglander0.89Horvat 5.5Virtanen2.55
Motte1.2Podkolzin0.9
Roussel3Beagle3MacEwan0.88
Gaudette0.75
Edler4Myers6
Hughes7Schmidt5.95
Juolevi1.2
Rathbone0.93
Demko4.9
Luongo3.03Cap Penalty
Ferland0LTIR
Eriksson4Buyout
Holtby0.5Buyout
Total Cap74.31Mil
Cap Space7.19Mil
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

7.19mil to sign a depth winger, back up goalie, bottom pairing defenseman, and 3rd line center. It can be done. It isn't an elite roster, but as long as we're smart and continue building for the year after we'll be perfectly fine.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
VAN has $25.7M in cap space with EP/Hughes needing new deals, likely $8M each. Doubt he'll earn more than Holtby - $4.3M. I believe they want to leave some cap space and offer a Bridge deal - $4m @ 2 years.
Including Ferland LTIR it shows them having over 30+ million in cap.
Plus you gotta figure that LE gets bought out which I believe adds another 4+. When you look at the ED draft the best prospect available is Kole Lind, I think Seattle can quite easily be convinced to take AR, Beagle or Holtby. All 3 are good locker-room vets on one year deals and they have to reach the cap floor.

As for Demko, it depends on what other cap gets moved but 5×4 sounds about right. Buys 2 UFA years while still allowing him to get another big deal.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Yes, I do actually, for a couple of reasons:

1) Demko has had one good season as a starter, there is definitely risk for the team to sign him longterm. The alternative would be a 1 year deal, because the team will not go two years. I wouldn't think Demko would want a 1 year deal, if his play regresses at all in his sophomore year he will lower his chances on a long term more lucrative deal. In this case by taking 4.9mil at 5 years he guarantees himself 24.5 million on earnings, it's the smart choice for a goalie in his situation. But hey, I'd be fine with a 1 year deal as well, but that deal will probably only be worth 4.9mil or so anyways as a RFA. Then, the following offseason if he plays well, he may get in the 5.5mil range. He's taking on a decent amount of risk for not much more over the same time span.

2) Demko has two RFA years left that we should be able to buy for cheap. If we take those two years at 4mil, and the following three years at 6mil, that averages out at 5.33mil per season. It isn't unreasonable to assume Demko could leave a few dollars on the table in the form of a hometown discount to assist a team on the rise, it's common for young players to do that if they want to build a winning team. Plus, Demko knows what our cap situation is, he also knows he has to re-sign in the same offseason as Pettersson and Hughes, I think he will be somewhat mentally prepared to take a bit less all things considered.

I could be wrong, just my best guess.
Great points and Demko knows Benning put a lot of faith in him and he by all accounts is good friends with the core of the team.
Vancouver is the type of city where if your rich and athletic not a party type, there aren't many places that offer mountains, oceans and lakes all within an hour of DT.

Mido

Dec 10, 2018
3 franchise players to be signed, a front office to be blown up, and coaching staff contracts all expiring. Quite the off season coming up here.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
If you think Aqua is going to approve buyouts in this economy I don’t know what to say. Ep & Wuinn at 7M would be great tho.
It isn't really as bad as you think, even Benning should be able to figure this one out:

Motte1.2Podkolzin0.9
Gaudette0.75
Edler4Myers6
Hughes7Schmidt5.95
Juolevi1.2
Rathbone0.93
Demko4.9
Luongo3.03Cap Penalty
Ferland0LTIR
Eriksson4Buyout
Holtby0.5Buyout
Total Cap74.31Mil
Cap Space7.19Mil
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
7.19mil to sign a depth winger, back up goalie, bottom pairing defenseman, and 3rd line center. It can be done. It isn't an elite roster, but as long as we're smart and continue building for the year after we'll be perfectly fine.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
I’ll be curious to see how they handle this contract. How much leverage do RFAs have?
Has arbritration. Problem is prior to this season he showed some promise but nothing concrete, same with how the first 10 games went (mind you team couldn't play D worth crap). His last 10 games have been really solid though so its still a small sample size, currently at 59 career games so very small sample size, so by end of the season he would have 75ish (I would have to do the math and figure out how many games he's likely to play but don't feel like doing that now), so that equates to a 1.5 seasons of a starting goalie? (in which 1/2 of those he was played like a #1 and not a backup).

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Pettersson is not even a 7 million dollar player right now. If he wants to be one he better start posting more points and it can’t be against Ottawa and can’t be chunk of it off the power play. He’s lucky to see nylander money.

demko next contract will also factored in if we make the playoffs or if we don’t.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
If you think Aqua is going to approve buyouts in this economy I don’t know what to say. Ep & Wuinn at 7M would be great tho.

Aqua may not be doing great with the Canucks, but it doesn’t mean his investments are failing. He is also a big wig in construction, and many companies had banner years. Stocks in general have been fairly successful this year as well, if you bought low on all these companies you would have made millions.

My point is he likely has a diverse portfolio, I don’t buy all the bullshit about him not wanting to spend.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Motte1.2Podkolzin0.9
Gaudette0.75
Edler4Myers6
Hughes7Schmidt5.95
Juolevi1.2
Rathbone0.93
Demko4.9
Luongo3.03Cap Penalty
Ferland0LTIR
Eriksson4Buyout
Holtby0.5Buyout
Total Cap74.31Mil
Cap Space7.19Mil
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I get where you are going with this, and agree 100%. Whether it plays out like you have here, or something else, There are options to create a little more space.
While 7.2 is not a ton of money, there is value out there. Look at a team like Florida who got Gudas, Wenneberg and Duclair for a little over 6. There is less cap space in the league this year, and more UFA's, many who will be looking for 1 year deals to get through the cap freeze.

I'd bring back Hawryluk for sure, he has looked good in our bottom 6 and has some real upside.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
5.5Mx5 is my guess, and that’s a fair contract, but it depends entirely on whether Demko wants to stay in Vancouver long-term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad