Post-Game Talk: Thanksgiving Holiday Massacre: The Sequel (Wild 6 Jets 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Potential

Nov 11, 2017
It's not like the Wild were icing the greatest lineup though :dunno:
True.

Bones has some work to do with regards to building up the will of the boys so as to persevere in the face of adversity. The guys will shut down and things will just spiral out of control. That's a confidence thing, and will improve with time - they just need to trust the new systems as we've seen how good they can be when they are disciplined.

I only saw the third period … the jets did not look as bad as the score indicated. This is a game where you say on to the next one.
Strange night in hockey tonight Devils getting their goals called back , the Wild getting away infractions makes you wonder now with all these betting commercials who the big winners are.
Yeah, I admit to feeling uneasy with having gambling directly involved with the league. Just feels dirty, you know?

Truenorthducky

Oct 10, 2020
This lack of offence by our forwards is going to catch up to us. Tonight was the first sign. we are near the bottom of the league in scoring on the coyotes are a couple goals behind us. Don’t get me wrong I like our new defensive system but this is ridiculous.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022
Based on the out of town scoreboard, looks like most of the western conference stunk it up tonight so might not lose much ground. Assuming some scores hold. However, that was a painful flashback to last years jets.

JonS

Oct 14, 2021
Embarrassing! I live in Minnesota so it feels worse). Terrible game overall and as someone said, not like the wild were throwing a great team out there. With the goaltender the wild have, should have really challenged him but alas nothing happened. Only the 4th line showed up. Going to have to pick up the intensity if they are going to do anything going forward. Cannot take nights off.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I only saw the third period … the jets did not look as bad as the score indicated. This is a game where you say on to the next one.
Strange night in hockey tonight Devils getting their goals called back , the Wild getting away infractions makes you wonder now with all these betting commercials who the big winners are.
With the game I just watched I'd say it's more likely the Jets bet money against themselves. All three of those Jersey goals were rightfully called off by the way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Definitely threw Cole under the bus for his turnover/penalty at the end of the second. It wasn't a great sequence by Cole but given what the refs let go prior to that i have a hard time blasting him for trying to come back hard and whack the puck off the players stick on the back track. Anyhow I'm sure Cole will learn from it.

I just don't like making the rookie the fall guy for the performance tonight. He was hardly the only player who turned pucks over, took bad penalties and by and large played like ass but he was the only one held accountable and that doesn't sit right with me.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Definitely threw Cole under the bus for his turnover/penalty at the end of the second. It wasn't a great sequence by Cole but given what the refs let go prior to that i have a hard time blasting him for trying to come back hard and whack the puck off the players stick on the back track. Anyhow I'm sure Cole will learn from it.

I just don't like making the rookie the fall guy for the performance tonight. He was hardly the only player who turned pucks over, took bad penalties and by and large played like ass but he was the only one held accountable and that doesn't sit right with me.

Kind of called Dubois out as well who was also benched. It also sounded like it might've also been directed at Wheeler, but then Wheeler was out 4 on 4 with Scheifele so :dunno:

Seemed like he was putting a lot of blame on that penalty Perfetti took for whatever reason. I feel like if anything Wheeler's early penalty was worse because it set the tone.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Kind of called Dubois out as well who was also benched. It also sounded like it might've also been directed at Wheeler, but then Wheeler was out 4 on 4 with Scheifele so :dunno:

Seemed like he was putting a lot of blame on that penalty Perfetti took for whatever reason. I feel like if anything Wheeler's early penalty was worse because it set the tone.

Yeah he said the game turned on that penalty and subsequent pp goal.

Like did he forget the first half of the game happened. But I guess it's easier to use a rookie to prove a point. Dubois was out there most of the third so hardly message sending having him miss a shift or two. Yet another coach that Wheeler cN perform poorly for and still get all the minutes.

johnnyonthspot

Apr 1, 2012
Where are all the posters? Did they take the night off like the Jets did?
It is strange when you can tell after the first few shifts if they came to play or not.

None

Feb 22, 2012
Yeah he said the game turned on that penalty and subsequent pp goal.

Like did he forget the first half of the game happened. But I guess it's easier to use a rookie to prove a point. Dubois was out there most of the third so hardly message sending having him miss a shift or two. Yet another coach that Wheeler cN perform poorly for and still get all the minutes.

Yeah, and it was a backchecking penalty. It's not like he was trying to force an offensive play or retaliating like last game. I think it's a little hyperbolic to say Wheeler got all the minutes because he was clearly getting held off the ice too, but there's still a clear and obvious different standard.

Next time he's backchecking and can prevent a goal while taking a penalty what if he hesitates? :dunno:
Just seems like a mistake to essentially name and shame a rookie for backchecking.

Hypothetically is he going to get shit from the coach if he doesn't try to tie up a stick if he says he can't without taking a penalty?

Last edited:

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Such a Jekyll and Hyde team. Another game where they just don’t show up whatsoever. The ICE would’ve beaten them today.

Reactions: GNP and None

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, and it was a backchecking penalty. It's not like he was trying to force an offensive play or retaliating like last game. I think it's a little hyperbolic to say Wheeler got all the minutes because he was clearly getting held off the ice too, but there's still a clear and obvious different standard.

Next time he's backchecking and can prevent a goal while taking a penalty what if he hesitates? :dunno:
Just seems like a mistake to essentially name and shame a rookie for backchecking.

Hypothetically is he going to get shit from the coach if he doesn't try to tie up a stick if he says he can't without taking a penalty?

I'm sure the turn over that lead to it was part of it but yeah our former captain does it right infront of our net leading to a tap in goal and he's still trotted out there.

Edit:

I do wonder how long a shelf life Rick will have here if he's already throwing players under the bus and benching them. I get that it was a real poor game but it was one game on the heels of about three weeks of very strong play. I get not wanting the team to fall back into bad habits but every team lays some stinkers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JonS

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I thought the Jets would win!

1669266387395.gif

1 our of 5 Schwarzeneggers

None

Feb 22, 2012
I do wonder how long a shelf life Rick will have here if he's already throwing players under the bus and benching them. I get that it was a real poor game but it was one game on the heels of about three weeks of very strong play. I get not wanting the team to fall back into bad habits but every team lays some stinkers.

It's probably gonna depend on who he's calling out if we're being honest. Maurice knew whose palms needed to be greased, does Bowness care enough about his coaching shelf life at this point?

edit: English

Last edited:

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
As a team I guess that's what it feels like to get punched in the face.

I'll try to summarize what I saw as best as I can:

Minnesota's Manitobans outplayed Winnipeg's Minnesotans tonight.

Team was outworked from the opening whistle. First penalty the kind that coaches hate. Successfully killed with only a few seconds left, Scheifele scrambles the draw and Nic Petan wins a 50/50 battle with Neal Pionk, earning an assist on a well placed screen shot, with a lucky bounce. Battle that Pionk has to win, or not lose cleanly. 4th line goal against the Jets top guns doesn't start the game with any confidence. Love seeing Nic Petan in the NHL again, having success, just not at that moment.

Mikey Eyssimont tries to spark the team, but gets his ass kicked. I'd say that probably sparks Minnesota they're knowing that they are the tougher team this game.

Escape period 1 only down 1-0.

2nd goal another screen shot, one where Ville Heinola has to use body position to move Jordan Greenway out of the goalie's sightline but he loses the battle.

3rd goal attack the net again, I don't really blame Pionk on that goal being the only guy covering anyone dangerous, just a poor defensive read by the players on the ice. Wild are getting success from directing traffic to the net.

Bowness shuffles his lines gets a spark from Connor, on a play where Eyssimont executes a strong net front presence. 3-1. Momentum starts to shift with a good shift from the 2nd line, followed by a strong shift by the 4th line pininning the Wild.

Momentum is quickly lost with a poor turnover by Perfetti, and subsequent penalty. Period ends still in reach, 3-1.

Helluva of a play by Kaprizov on the 4th goal, but tone of the game, if you are going to let a guy get to the net like that without getting planted, you're asking for trouble, Schmidt found trouble.

5th Wild goal, Wheeler is in a vulnerable spot on a puck retrieval, and there is zero defensive support, Easy pickins, game is out of reach.

Dubois's penalty filled night continues, a poor PK, and it's curtains.

In an intense divisional game I don't think the young players distinguished themselves well. I don't think the vets distinguished themselves either. The 4th line was the best line, and when that's the case Jets aren't going to win many if any games.

I think the Wild defense was clearly better than the Jets tonight. Maybe the result of a road matchup where you have little control over matchups. Evason had a good game plan, and made the game a dogfight. Team was motivated looking at the Jets ahead in the standings. Next time the Jets face Minnesota they are going to have Reaves stirring it up so I expect the Wild to be a sort of nemesis for the Jets.

For changes I don't think the Jets can get De Melo back in the defensive lineup fast enough. I was a big fan of the Morrissey-Pionk pairing while they were working, but I don't think they are right now. Maybe De Melo with Morrissey helps Morrissey stay on the + side, and Pionk helps Samberg by having an effective puck mover.

I hope that Maenalanen gets demoted off the checking line very soon. I just see him struggling to play effectively on that line, and the player who is being effected the most is Adam Lowry, who is trying to do too much on his own. Not a lot of options to replace him. Maybe an Eyssimont promotion, but that's not going to significantly change the teams depth scoring woes.

Footnotes. I love the Wild's retro jerseys, always a big fan of those North Star colours.

Also don't mind the commentators for Sportsnet, as there is no bias in their call of the game, a Wild fan might be kind of pissed though that Mayers referred to Kaprizov as Kiprusoff all game.

Red Wings, Sabres and Isles helped the Jets out tonight.

Next game should be an intense divisional game too, hopefully the Jets can put this game behind them quickly.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It'll probably gonna depend on who he's calling out if we're being honest. Maurice knew whose palms needed to be greased, does Bowness care enough about his coaching shelf life at this point?

True, you start calling Mark, Kyle or JoMo out and you risk loosing the room. I guess he doesn't have much to fear from benching and calling out a rookie or atleast he doesn't think he does.

We all saw how Mark reacted to being benched by Moe. That was likely the start of the end for him here. Keith had to walk back comments about Marner a month or so ago so yeah tread lightly with your stars.

I'm sure to some extent he values his job security hence him not benching a vet tonight but maybe he's just here to really set the stage for the new culture no matter how many feathers he ruffles.

None

Feb 22, 2012
True, you start calling Mark, Kyle or JoMo out and you risk loosing the room. I guess he doesn't have much to fear from benching and calling out a rookie or atleast he doesn't think he does.

We all saw how Mark reacted to being benched by Moe. That was likely the start of the end for him here. Keith had to walk back comments about Marner a month or so ago so yeah tread lightly with your stars.

I'm sure to some extent he values his job security hence him not benching a vet tonight but maybe he's just here to really set the stage for the new culture no matter how many feathers he ruffles.

It's also possible that he wasn't putting a whole lot of thought into anything and it was just a kneejerk reaction to an event that amounted to very little in a game where nothing was going right.

Either way, I think it's a recipe for disaster when your coach has established a hierarchy of accountability. If player A and B both make similar mistakes they should have the same punishment, regardless of how many games played they have in their career.

We've already seen Scheifele push back against Bowness publicly suggesting the players need to take shorter shifts, although his play has backed up his words thus far :dunno:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's also possible that he wasn't putting a whole lot of thought into anything and it was just a kneejerk reaction to an event that amounted to very little in a game where nothing was going right.

Either way, I think it's a recipe for disaster when your coach has established a hierarchy of accountability. If player A and B both make similar mistakes they should have the same punishment, regardless of how many games played they have in their career.

We've already seen Scheifele push back against Bowness publicly suggesting the players need to take shorter shifts, although his play has backed up his words thus far :dunno:

When did Mark push back against that? I must of missed it. I agree, accountability only works when it is applied equally and so far after talking a big game about it ir seems he's just another coach that is quick to discipline the rookies but allows his vets much more latitude. Funny how quickly that short shift but went out the window though, Mark keeps taking extended shifts lol.

Reactions: AlaskaJet

None

Feb 22, 2012
When did Mark push back against that? I must of missed it. I agree, accountability only works when it is applied equally and so far after talking a big game about it ir seems he's just another coach that is quick to discipline the rookies but allows his vets much more latitude. Funny how quickly that short shift but went out the window though, Mark keeps taking extended shifts lol.

I might be misremembering but I think Scheifele kind of alluded to the top of the lineup needing to stay out sometimes if they have the puck. That shift length can extend past that 55 second mark that Bowness said. He said something along the lines of "it comes with the territory" of being top 6 that shifts get extended.

Edit:

Last edited:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
This game is one of those where you have to toss the advanced stats in the garbage bin. 90% of the time my eyetest more or less matches what the stats say at the end of the game but in this game the Corsi/xG stats have Jets ahead of the Wild whereas anyone who watched the game would know that it wasn't even close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad