Toronto FC: TFC 2016 PLAYOFFS! Set to face off against Montreal in the Conference Finals!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Hard Cap but full of clauses. You're allowed 3 (maybe 4 now?) Designated Players that can make X amount of dollars/season and it will only count $465,000 salary/season.

It's not a hard cap at all. And it really isn't a cap.

In MLS, all salaries are paid by the league with the exception of DPs. Players sign with MLS, not individual teams. This is the "single entity" nature of MLS. MLSE technically is a franchise operator with a share in MLS and it SUM assets. It isn't an owner.

MLS assigns a "budget charge" to each player and teams choose available players (contract and terms). The budget charge is assigned to each team and the player's budget charge comes off of that.

DP salaries, above the league max, are paid by teams. And they assign a budget charge to each of those much less than the actual salary.

And if you follow all of that, MLS flexes each team's budget through the use of allocation money. This money is available for performance in the standings or can be traded amongst teams.

And if you follow all of that, MLS can also make allocation money available "for competitive reasons as deemed important by the competition committee." Some take this to read, "if LA has a chance to make the MLS Cup Final vs New York"

If you wanted a less technical explanation of all of that, ask yourself this. What is the penalty if a team is over its assigned budget charge? Answer. Nothing.

And check the wording on their roster rules, no where at all is it referred to as a cap. It's "budget charge" through and through.

…. and you know those salary numbers floated by the MLS Player's Union? Those may or may not reflect the actual budget charge. They are simply numbers provided by the Union to give negotiations between agents and the league some degree of transparency.

Fun, eh?

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I got into a heated debate at the bar the other day over who is the MVP of the MLS this season?

I think so far it has been Giovinco by a mile, I think he was involved in 90% of our goals, and without him, we would have lost so many more games than we did. He single handedly is dragging us up.

Who else do you guys think is an MVP candidate?

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
I got into a heated debate at the bar the other day over who is the MVP of the MLS this season?

I think so far it has been Giovinco by a mile, I think he was involved in 90% of our goals, and without him, we would have lost so many more games than we did. He single handedly is dragging us up.

Who else do you guys think is an MVP candidate?

Giovinco. no brainer here. this isn't bias it's a league wide opinion he's been better then everyone in the league even Kaka and Villa

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Top 5 MVP candidates right now are probably Giovinco, Kamara, Villa, Feilhaber and Keane. Giovinco is the clear frontrunner but for some reason he seems to get overlooked sometimes and I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt end up winning it

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
Top 5 MVP candidates right now are probably Giovinco, Kamara, Villa, Feilhaber and Keane. Giovinco is the clear frontrunner but for some reason he seems to get overlooked sometimes and I wouldnt be surprised if he doesnt end up winning it

I would say the MVP is Giovinco. Kamara is getting big help from Finlay. I don't know how good would Kamara be without Finlay.

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I feel like Vanney is definitely part of the defensive problem. The only reason we are competitive is because of Giovinco game in and game out.

Vanney out.

Can we bring in Guardiola already...

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
I actually would prefer Klopp, tbh.

You know what I can't believe I forgot about him... There is no DP slot for coaches, so Leiweke should park the MLSE truck filled with money in Klopp's driveway and offer him a contract. I doubt Klopp would come here though, I feel like he wants to take some time off. I also think that MLSE is a bit different and there isn't as much opportunity to win big trophies. I doubt he wants to win the MLS cup, he wants to win the Champions League, the Bundesliga, etc.

I think we are limited to coaches from USA unfortunately, or first time coaches similar to what Nelsen was.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Nelson was a great coach. This Vanney guy is a clown. No structure in the team at all. Worst coaching I have seen.

His plan is basically pray that gio scores hattrick every game. He still manages to lose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad