Recalled/Assigned: Teuvo Teravainen to IceHogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Kane is the best player on the Hawks and its nit even close. Cant believe the people here sometimes. Yes, Toews is the heart of the team but kane makes it run. HE makes lines go and he doesnt need to be with Toews. Tho when he is they are good. Just had to say that to some of the inexp hawk fans out here

Um, no.

Clearly, no.

Is Kane the most skilled offensive producer on the team? Yes.

Can he shut down, drive possession and contribute offensively against the other team's best players? No. Which is why Q keeps him away from the other teams' best players whenever possible, while Toews usually goes head to head against them.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Ummm... Duncan Keith is the Hawks best player. I thought that was widely understood.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Ummm... Duncan Keith is the Hawks best player. I thought that was widely understood.

I'm not sure he's the best, but there's a strong argument to be made that he's the most important.

He's the bell-weather for this team. When Keith is going strong, the team is going strong. And vice versa.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Keith is the only player who has gotten awards for being the best at his position. Whatever,MIT doesn't really matter because we have all of them

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Keith is the only player who has gotten awards for being the best at his position. Whatever,MIT doesn't really matter because we have all of them

Well the Selke is pretty much the award for best 2-way center now, right? :laugh:

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

There is no specific award for 'best forward' or 'best centre'.

Edit - and to point out the obvious, a player's status as "best in show" at his particular position is not simply a function of his own skill but also an exercise in relativity.

Last edited:

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
There is no specific award for 'best forward' or 'best centre'.

Edit - and to point out the obvious, a player's status as "best in show" at his particular position is not simply a function of his own skill but also an exercise in relativity.

Best forward is the Art Ross/Hart. The Selke holds some weight but we wouldn't argue Bergeron, Kopitar or Datsyuk were the best forward in the NHL because they won it in their years (Crosby was) so why should we argue that when Toews does?

If the NHL ended today, Keith has the strongest HOF candidacy of any Blackhawk. I think he is the best player on the Hawks but the whole argument is neither here nor there. If you want to factor in cap hits (which we probably should since it's a part of real world consideration) then Keith is the most valuable by far and may be the most valuable in the league.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Best forward is the Art Ross/Hart. The Selke holds some weight but we wouldn't argue Bergeron, Kopitar or Datsyuk were the best forward in the NHL because they won it in their years (Crosby was) so why should we argue that when Toews does?

If the NHL ended today, Keith has the strongest HOF candidacy of any Blackhawk. I think he is the best player on the Hawks but the whole argument is neither here nor there. If you want to factor in cap hits (which we probably should since it's a part of real world consideration) then Keith is the most valuable by far and may be the most valuable in the league.

I don't know. I think there's a different skill-set being rewarded with the Selke than the Hart. The Selke is more of the advanced stats/possession trophy, while art ross and hart are straight up points.

Personally, last year, heading into the playoffs, I would have taken a team centered by the 3 Selke nominees (Toews, Kopitar, Bergeron) over the 3 Hart candidates (Crosby, Getzlaf, Giroux) for a playoff run.

I'd make that choice again this year. When the games start to matter, being able to shut down AND produce at the same time becomes ridiculously valuable.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
A lot of OT talk.. This is about Teräväinen. I hoped to read about him when I came.

He's in RFD getting his NA seasoning before getting his shot with Hawks, which is inevitable. The question is when? Some think he may get called up as a winger in March or April, or perhaps replace Richards if Richards runs out of gas. Still others think he will be in the AHL until next Spring. At this point I doubt Stan or Q know for certain. Personally I think TT will see some action as a Hawk before this season's PO's are over.

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto

I didn't say Toews was the best forward in the NHL. However, like I said you argument that Keith must be a more important player on the team than Toews because Keith got an award for being 'best player at his position' and Toews didn't is flawed logically.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
A lot of OT talk.. This is about Teräväinen. I hoped to read about him when I came.

TT started off slow in Rockford (AHL). I have not seen him play, but there are a few posters on a couple different message boards that are Rockford season ticket holders and they report that he has been playing better the last few weeks. This seems to be the trend with TT, as he also started slow in sm-liiga before playing better and eventually very well.

After the last game where he got a goal and 2 primary assists, he is now the 2nd leading scorer for Rockford with 23 points in 31 games.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Remember, what he does in the AHL is unimportant, last I heard.;)
Did I say "his is gong to be mazing in the NHL, omgzz!!!1!"

And yes, it is, but it gives you an idea of how his progression is coming along so far in his first NA season. Some players adapt to the NHL differently than others, and TT is a guy that is different than a guy like Pirri who could light up the A but didn't do squat in the NHL.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Did I say "his is gong to be mazing in the NHL, omgzz!!!1!"

And yes, it is, but it gives you an idea of how his progression is coming along so far in his first NA season. Some players adapt to the NHL differently than others, and TT is a guy that is different than a guy like Pirri who could light up the A but didn't do squat in the NHL.

We'll just bookmark this post for posterity then.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
He does have a point about certain players lighting up the AHL while doing jack **** in the NHL. Teravainen will not be one of those players.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I'll wait awhile yet before thinking he's lighting up the A.

I'm not saying he's lighting up the AHL, at least not yet. But he's definitely one of the most promising and talented players in the A, while currently being fourth among rookies in scoring. Plus he's had to adjust to a different style of hockey while still being very young.

The point is, certain players like Pirri and Morin did well in Rockford while having no future with the Hawks. Teravainen has a future with the Hawks, because he's a much better hockey player.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I'm not saying he's lighting up the AHL, at least not yet. But he's definitely one of the most promising and talented players in the A, while currently being fourth among rookies in scoring. Plus he's had to adjust to a different style of hockey while still being very young.

The point is, certain players like Pirri and Morin did well in Rockford while having no future with the Hawks. Teravainen has a future with the Hawks, because he's a much better hockey player.

If points in the AHL don't matter - which is an argument I don't buy - then why bring them up at all?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If points in the AHL don't matter - which is an argument I don't buy - then why bring them up at all?

They matter in the sense that it shows what kind of progress they are making, in this case, TT is right at the top with other rookies in his first season. But they don't mean the player is going to be an NHLer just because they lead the league in points. Pirri made great progress in the AHL, but leading the league in points doesn't and didn't mean squat because he didn't hack it in the NHL. Along with countless other players that succeeded in the AHL but can't do much in the NHL.

Nothingman*

Difference was with Pirri the org didn't tout him like they have TT. There is a bit more belief in TT 's skill than Pirri I would suspect from how he has been handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad