Recalled/Assigned: Teuvo Teravainen to IceHogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Danault's not going to be 2c. If he's 3c, I still prefer putting TT on the second line and moving shaw to wing.

I know I wouldn't put Danault at 2C, but I'm not the guy who put Shaw at 2C either.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Saad - Toews - Kane
Versteeg - Sharp - Hossa
TT - Kruger - Shaw
Nordstrom - Danault - Smith

I know, I know...

But it just makes so much damn sense.

The only problem with this setup is that deployment would have to change.

Kane is a hell of a player, but right now the 1st line is splitting shut-down duty with the 4th line.

If we're ok with Kane's offensive contribution taking a hit while he goes head to head with the best of every other team, then cool.

But if we think Kane should continue to be deployed such that we can make the absolute most of his offensive up-side, then he probably shouldn't share a line with Toews.... unless we REALLY trust Kruger and Danault to shut people down.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Then swap Kane and Hossa or Saad and Versteeg.

Possible, though we'd have to see how Hossa looks next season, another year older.

Whether or not he's crossed the line from 1st line/2nd line player to 2nd line/3rd line player may make the decision for us.

I think he's lost half a step and a bit of explosiveness this season. The possession numbers are still there, albeit not as dominant, but he's not creating space as well as he used to IMO.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If we're ok with Kane's offensive contribution taking a hit while he goes head to head with the best of every other team, then cool.

But if we think Kane should continue to be deployed such that we can make the absolute most of his offensive up-side, then he probably shouldn't share a line with Toews.... unless we REALLY trust Kruger and Danault to shut people down.
What? Kane plays his best hockey being centered by Toews who is by far the most talented center he's ever played with. He's already proven in the regular season and playoffs in the past he can go head to head with the top d pairings. If anything I think that's stunted he and Toews offensive development. Both were drafted to essentially play with one another. That was Tallon's vision along with a big body power forward to open up space and "protect the kids" as he called it. That was suppose to have been Beach but we all know how that ended. You wanna see Kane thrive offensively? Either get him a talented center who doesn't have the same tendencies or get him a big bodied winger with soft hands to help him do his thing. He's already talented enough to rack up points he mostly creates and play with players who don't think the game the way he does. As far as Hossa, I 100% agree with you and have been saying that for quite a few games now.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
What? Kane plays his best hockey being centered by Toews who is by far the most talented center he's ever played with. He's already proven in the regular season and playoffs in the past he can go head to head with the top d pairings. If anything I think that's stunted he and Toews offensive development. Both were drafted to essentially play with one another. That was Tallon's vision along with a big body power forward to open up space and "protect the kids" as he called it. That was suppose to have been Beach but we all know how that ended. You wanna see Kane thrive offensively? Either get him a talented center who doesn't have the same tendencies or get him a big bodied winger with soft hands to help him do his thing. He's already talented enough to rack up points he mostly creates and play with players who don't think the game the way he does. As far as Hossa, I 100% agree with you and have been saying that for quite a few games now.

Everybody on the Blackhawks plays their best hockey while centered by Toews. That's a big reason why he's the best, most valuable player on the team. :D

Also, I'm not talking about the top D-pairings. I'm talking about going up against the top d-pairings AND the top line or top shut-down unit at the same time.

Part of the reason Saad Kane and Shaw were able to do the damage they did in the playoffs last year was because Toews and Hossa and Bickell took the tough minutes from Doughty and the Kopitar line. That left Kane to contend with a line centered by whatever was left of Mike Richards. Most of that line's goals were scored against Richards.

I'm not saying Kane and Toews can't score against the best competition. They can. But the minutes are tougher, and the production will decrease.

So the question becomes, is it worth it? Or is it better to let teams slam against the brick wall that is Jonathan Toews and then let Kane attack their soft underbelly?

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
Saad - Toews - Kane
Versteeg - Sharp - Hossa
TT - Kruger - Shaw
Nordstrom - Danault - Smith

I know, I know...

But it just makes so much damn sense.

Sharp is probably traded this summer for Cap relief. Maybe Bickell too. Plus Richards probably won't be back.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Versteeg-TT-Kane
Smith-Kruger-Shaw
Carcillo-Danault-McNeill

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Sharp *could* want to sacrifice and go back to Center. He hears the rumors about the cap and being traded too. I'd imagine he'd want to do anything he can to make him as useful as he can in the coming years.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Sharp is probably traded this summer for Cap relief. Maybe Bickell too. Plus Richards probably won't be back.

Saad-Toews-Hossa
Versteeg-TT-Kane
Smith-Kruger-Shaw
Carcillo-Danault-McNeill

You can't put a 4th line like that out there in the NHL and be a contender. If the Hawks move three forwards like that, we'll need something coming back.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Saad Toews Hossa
Sharp TT Kane
Versteeg Shaw McNeill
Danault/Nordy Kruger Smith

Keith Seabrook
Hjalmarsson TVR
Erixon Rundblad Clendening Dahlbeck (keep 2 trade 2)

Crawford
Darling

Trade Bickell, 2 D and Raanta. That's my bet for next year. In training camp Ross/Hartman can steal a spot on the wing, Pokka and Johns can steal a spot at D.

Btw people are crazy if they think that something like a Bickell, clendening and Raanta package can't get a pick or two back. This Bickell none sense has gotten out of control.

EricRealm

Oct 22, 2013
Saad Toews Hossa
Sharp TT Kane
Versteeg Shaw McNeill
Danault/Nordy Kruger Smith

Keith Seabrook
Hjalmarsson TVR
Erixon Rundblad Clendening Dahlbeck (keep 2 trade 2)

Crawford
Darling

Trade Bickell, 2 D and Raanta. That's my bet for next year. In training camp Ross/Hartman can steal a spot on the wing, Pokka and Johns can steal a spot at D.

Btw people are crazy if they think that something like a Bickell, clendening and Raanta package can't get a pick or two back. This Bickell none sense has gotten out of control.

I' say the biggest ? in your projection is whether TT is a nhl 2c(at least by then). Trading Bick and keeping saad/sharp/rest is a no brainer if the cap permits. So is filling out the bottom 6 with Q style rookies. The question remains 2c ofc

Last edited:

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
For someone who has only watched 2 icehogs games. How is Teravainens defense and do you think it will translate into a center role in the NHL or will he be switched to wing?

Canadian Wampa

Feb 1, 2012
For someone who has only watched 2 icehogs games. How is Teravainens defense and do you think it will translate into a center role in the NHL or will he be switched to wing?

I haven't watched the Icehogs much either, but I feel it'll need to be better. He's smart defensively, he knows where to be and when, but he doesn't really have the strength that Toews, Hossa, or Saad have that allows them to be defensive studs. I feel like he loses some board battles that he would win if he just had some more strength. I'm optimistic though, Saad, and even guys like Kane, have seen their defensive games improve quite a bit since coming to the Hawks. Hopefully watching the rest of the team will help TT a bit.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I haven't watched the Icehogs much either, but I feel it'll need to be better. He's smart defensively, he knows where to be and when, but he doesn't really have the strength that Toews, Hossa, or Saad have that allows them to be defensive studs. I feel like he loses some board battles that he would win if he just had some more strength. I'm optimistic though, Saad, and even guys like Kane, have seen their defensive games improve quite a bit since coming to the Hawks. Hopefully watching the rest of the team will help TT a bit.

Kruger was a wee weak lad once upon a time too.* It's a process. TT is going to take awhile to hold his own in board battles. Not his forte. But one weakness shouldn't hold him back.

* - Kruger's not a he-man now, but he doesn't have to be.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I've seen Teravainen 7 times this year. He is excellent at reading the play in the defensive zone and has a very active stick. You can't complete a pass through him.

Of course his board work needs improvement. If a forward gets Teravainen on his back below the goal line he can't play through him but that's a big ask for such a young kid playing against 25 year olds.

I'd say overall factoring in his positioning, breakout passing and stick (pluses) and his board work (minus) he comes out to an a over average defender right now.

Nicklin3011*

Kane is the best player on the Hawks and its nit even close. Cant believe the people here sometimes. Yes, Toews is the heart of the team but kane makes it run. HE makes lines go and he doesnt need to be with Toews. Tho when he is they are good. Just had to say that to some of the inexp hawk fans out here

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Kane is the best player on the Hawks and its nit even close. Cant believe the people here sometimes. Yes, Toews is the heart of the team but kane makes it run. HE makes lines go and he doesnt need to be with Toews. Tho when he is they are good. Just had to say that to some of the inexp hawk fans out here

Watch much hockey?

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

or not...

kuzy

Mar 31, 2012
St. Charles, IL

You forgot :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad