Terry Pegula's letter to Sabres season ticket holders

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The bills are the reason you're wrong. He was a rookie owner and made rookie mistakes. We've seen him learn, and rectify his strategy for hiring management. Between the old regimes of Murray/Whaley, it was like... two closeted narcissists with no long term outlook vying for daddy's attention

Anyways, he didn't make all that money or have the public image he does because he's dumb... I think things will be alright. I agree about the Pres or hockey ops thing, just need to find the right guy (Patty was a noob and was in way over his head)

don't even want to get into the Babcock/Patty stuff, it's all hearsay and the buffalo sports media is a complete joke
I heard it from people not in the Buffalo sports media and it didn't originate there. He's made one playoff series since he became the owner of two teams. The Bills lost in the first round. That doesn't absolve him completely. Are the Bills likely to make the playoffs next year? I don't think they currently are.

There are tons of highly successful individuals who made billions in other endeavors who became terrible sports owners for a variety of reason. Success in one field doesn't necessarily translate. Almost anyone who owns an NHL team is highly successful. Charles Wang was a great businessman (and ask Isles fans about that era). Vivek Randiev is also highly successful and is a joke of a professional sports owner.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
I heard it from people not in the Buffalo sports media and it didn't originate there. He's made one playoff series since he became the owner of two teams. The Bills lost in the first round. That doesn't absolve him completely. Are the Bills likely to make the playoffs next year? I don't think they currently are.

There are tons of highly successful individuals who made billions in other endeavors who became terrible sports owners for a variety of reason. Success in one field doesn't necessarily translate. Almost anyone who owns an NHL team is highly successful. Charles Wang was a great businessman (and ask Isles fans about that era). Vivek Randiev is also highly successful and is a joke of a professional sports owner.
Ehhhhh, I disagree... Pegs has made some good hires in the last year or so. It think he's getting the hang of things

and I absolutely expect the bills to make the playoffs this year. We have some serious draft capital acrued and haven't lost anything on our roster that I'd consider noteworthy compared to last year... tyrod wasn't the guy driving success

either way, you make fair points, the proof will always have to be in the pudding, so let's have our opinions and we can wait and see

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Read the quote below. Not Sure is correct. He's eating profit. And not just earnings gained, but he's going to lose substantially. He has his flaws, yes. But one hell of an owner.

Head of Nail meet hammer. Spot on.
Good at doing right by fans in pricing fine. Actually running a successful sports organization? That’s a different question and I don’t think he’s shown that.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Good at doing right by fans in pricing fine. Actually running a successful sports organization? That’s a different question and I don’t think he’s shown that.
The letter directly addresses both issues. And while I fully concede he has not been successful in his ownership of the Sabres in so far as meeting his, and us fans, expected goal of championships, the same cannot be said about the Bills as he was the owner at the time of the 17 year playoff drought ending only 2 years in. So, it's a mixed result so far. Not enough to substantiate what your implying here, which is he is not a good sports/entertainment organization owner. At least not yet.
There are owners of sports organizations who haven't won championships yet as well, plenty of them. A great deal goes in to this endeavor. Not the least of which, I agree with you, is putting competent people to oversee the journey to achieve such goals. I to would like to see a President of Hockey Operations. And I believe your watching him as the GM of the Sabres right now. Jason Botterill. Time will tell if my suspicions on this are correct.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

Losing boatloads of money is pretty good motivation to turn things around. If he were complacent, and unwilling to lose his own money during this process is be much more worried. Maybe he's bad at owning sports teams, that won't matter as long as he puts the right people in charge and let's them work. He's never had a problem opening the checkbook to spend out of this problem, he just gave control to the wrong person.

Since Eichel joined the historically bad team they've really not added anyone of note. Our prospects just started getting call ups this year, before that E-Rod was our most successful signing/call-up. Now they have Casey, Guhle, Nelson, maybe Nylander all able to come in next year and we will see what we really have done drafting the past couple years.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
That's a really genuine letter

I wonder if the Oilers owner will freeze prices, or better yet reduce prices. We've got one of the highest average season ticket prices in the league
haha Good one.

"In order to keep up with other NHL teams and put more money into development, scouting and brains on the bench, Oilers ticket season prices will be going up by 15%. Thanks for the support and arena.

Signed,

Daryl Katz
"

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Not increasing season ticket prices is a bold and big move to show a commitment to his fans and to show that he's not happy with where things are.

Hats off to him. He's gonna lose a lot of money with that move but it should send a message to the fans and the teams that things need and will change.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Losing boatloads of money is pretty good motivation to turn things around. If he were complacent, and unwilling to lose his own money during this process is be much more worried. Maybe he's bad at owning sports teams, that won't matter as long as he puts the right people in charge and let's them work. He's never had a problem opening the checkbook to spend out of this problem, he just gave control to the wrong person.

Since Eichel joined the historically bad team they've really not added anyone of note. Our prospects just started getting call ups this year, before that E-Rod was our most successful signing/call-up. Now they have Casey, Guhle, Nelson, maybe Nylander all able to come in next year and we will see what we really have done drafting the past couple years.
It remains to be seen. I’ve heard wide spread skepticism about certain moves. Personally, I was not a fan of Botterill hiring Jankowski as his scouting director (I am not impressed by his track record with Hockey Canada or prior to that) and I don’t think that the AGM you brought in from the Rangers is highly thought of. He seems to have a reputation of a self promoter who job hops.

Reactions: Chainshot

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
The only part of the letter I don't agree with is him talking about not raising ticket prices.
He didn't need to state the obvious or rehash the pain.
Other than that it's heartfelt. Good luck Buffalo.
I can't blame the GM either.
But to expect a full rebuild to have reached its peak now is wishful thinking for any franchise.
Sometimes things take time. Patience Pegula.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Sincere letter but I don't think he knows how to run a sports team. Maybe he eventually gets the hang of it. He probably needs a proper president to oversee the operation. I've also heard disputed things about why Babcock turned him down and why Lafontaine actually left.
Well i guess Pegula should discuss with you how to make the Sabres better. U seem like you know what ur doing

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
That's a really genuine letter

I wonder if the Oilers owner will freeze prices, or better yet reduce prices. We've got one of the highest average season ticket prices in the league
His way of showing appreciation is to have Bob Nicholson come out a day after Chiarelli to indirectly tell the city of Edmonton to eat sh**.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Seems genuine but if he wants things to change he needs to back the f*** off and let the people who know what they're doing run the team. There has been too much surrounding the Sabres (and the Bills for that matter) suggesting he is involved far too much in the sports side of management.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Well i guess Pegula should discuss with you how to make the Sabres better. U seem like you know what ur doing
Maybe he shouldn't let his wife force out Lafontaine for reasons that had very little to do with hockey, and more just disliking him. Then creating a power vacuum that left Tim Murray unchecked.

The best way to run an NHL team is to hire the best possible people and meddle as little as possible. Don't hire assistent GM's and basically give them the power of team presidents, then start to meddle because you don't trust their judgment. The main reason the Leafs, Raptors and TFC have turned around since Rogers and Bell bought them is, they completely marginalized Tannenbaum and put competent people in charge who had strong reputations throughout sports management. This started with Leiweike who cleared the trash then brought in Shanahan and Ujiri. So once Leiweike left, these people had the trust of the board to make the right moves and bring in smart people. Is MLSE the ideal sports management in the world? No. But Bell and Rogers are a significant step up from Tannenbaum and the Teachers.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
This is much appreciated as a fan. It might not look it from the outside, but there is finally a semblance of stability and direction under Botterill's leadership. The Amerks finally got some deserved attention, they had a great year, made the playoffs, and should be loaded with talented prospects next season. It's real nice to see this sort of self awareness by Pegula.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Maybe he shouldn't let his wife force out Lafontaine for reasons that had very little to do with hockey, and more just disliking him. Then creating a power vacuum that left Tim Murray unchecked.

The best way to run an NHL team is to hire the best possible people and meddle as little as possible. Don't hire assistent GM's and basically give them the power of team presidents, then start to meddle because you don't trust their judgment. The main reason the Leafs, Raptors and TFC have turned around since Rogers and Bell bought them is, they completely marginalized Tannenbaum and put competent people in charge who had strong reputations throughout sports management. This started with Leiweike who cleared the trash then brought in Shanahan and Ujiri. So once Leiweike left, these people had the trust of the board to make the right moves and bring in smart people. Is MLSE the ideal sports management in the world? No. But Bell and Rogers are a significant step up from Tannenbaum and the Teachers.
I was just teasing. But good points

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

You've been itching to get those "I heard" rumors out since your 1st post.

Well done.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You've been itching to get those "I heard" rumors out since your 1st post.

Well done.
From the same place I found out who your scouting director was a day before he was hired (which is backed up on your board).

Babcock one I've never heard anywhere reliable.

Last edited:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo

you gonna try to sell me a wireless plan now or what?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
you gonna try to sell me a wireless plan now or what?
Trust me, I hate giving Rogers and Bell credit but they've managed the Leafs well. Everything else they do is pretty terrible and an oligarchy that should be brought down in consumer interests. But, compared to Tannenbaum and the Teacher's Pension Plan, they actually run a highly efficent and properly organized sporting enterprise.

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
Trust me, I hate giving Rogers and Bell credit but they've managed the Leafs well. Everything else they do is pretty terrible and an oligarchy that should be brought down in consumer interests. But, compared to Tannenbaum and the Teacher's Pension Plan, they actually run a highly efficent and properly organized sporting enterprise.
that's fine but it really has nothing to do with the topic at hand

Moving on.....

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

You don't think being in position to draft talent like Matthews, Marner, and Nylander had anything to do with it? Lots of teams do things "the right way" according to you, not so many have overwhelming success year after year. Shanahan didn't invent tanking for top talent and making sure to draft well. I give the Leafs credit for the quick turn around, but it's has far more to do with exceptional scouting and being in position to draft said players, then it has to do with Shanahan and Lamarillo. Babcock is probably the biggest difference in the two teams at this point. So i guess that's on management making sure they got him, kuddos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad