Rumor: Ted Nolan offered contract extension

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
WGRZ ‏@WGRZ 4m

Just reported on Channel 2 News: @AdamBenigni told by #Sabres they are still working on extension for interim head coach Ted Nolan.

@AdamBenigni

#Sabres VP of Communications Mike Gilbert says organization continues to work on extension for Ted Nolan.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
He gets a lot out of Veterans but he doesn't seem to be a big youth movement type person...

As long as he gives the younger players a chance (when they are ready) then whatever...it's a moot point but not against it

When they are ready is the key point. And the right point for this team. For the rebuild to be successful, the young players must develop, and if that needs to happen in lower leagues than so be it. Throwing them all to the wolves (ie the Regier plan) is an easy way to become Edmonton 2.0.

Girgensons is getting his chance because he is ready. When others are ready they will join him. I like the fact he doesn't play young guys just because they are young and "the future".

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Yet again Pat is just bailing on his "friend."

Just doesn't make sense why Nolan would get an extension for more than 1 year.

jvirk

Oct 31, 2013
What would you guys think of Nolan as head coach IF he had a really good couple of assistants with him (not Sacco). More specifically, let's say a guy is hired that specializes in creating a system and X's and O's, along with the style Nolan wants. Would that not be okay to get by for the next few years? Or is Nolan just purely not the guy for this rebuild?

I'm just wondering this, because I feel like in the NHL today the head coach is more about managing his players rather than being an X's and O's system type of person, etc...I could be wrong though. If i was unclear in my post my apologies.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm okay with it for a couple years.

But if we want to go far, down the road, we need a knowledgeable coach

Nolan doesn't do it for me

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
What would you guys think of Nolan as head coach IF he had a really good couple of assistants with him (not Sacco). More specifically, let's say a guy is hired that specializes in creating a system and X's and O's, along with the style Nolan wants. Would that not be okay to get by for the next few years? Or is Nolan just purely not the guy for this rebuild?

I'm just wondering this, because I feel like in the NHL today the head coach is more about managing his players rather than being an X's and O's system type of person, etc...I could be wrong though. If i was unclear in my post my apologies.
Rolston?

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I'm kind of glad he's staying. As long as Girgensons is happy and Myers continues his current play im more than content. They're integral pieces moving forward and probably the two most important on the current roster. I think Nolan has had a profound effect on them.

LaFontaineToMogilny

Jul 16, 2013
3 years huh? Either we are planning to be horrible through 2017, or Tim Murray thinks Ted Nolan is a decent coach. I don't know what would be worse.

I can't think of any worse news regarding the Sabres than this.

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
3 years gives him standing with the players and prevents a repeat of the exact same situation where Darcy offered him a 1 year extension. I'm fine with it. If it works, great. If it doesn't we fire him. His contract is only dollars and has nothing to do with the cap. I have enjoyed the team much more with Ted as the coach. Hopefully he accepts. We look even more gong show if he walks along with Pat and I think him walking would have a more negative impact with players than Pat leaving.

Edit: I am not a huge Nolan fan but have been pleased with his work and the on ice product since his arrival this year.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Looks like I'm not the only crazy person that likes Nolan, But at least the other person that likes him is the only one that can pay the man to work..

Sabres83

Feb 27, 2014
Looks like I'm not the only crazy person that likes Nolan, But at least the other person that likes him is the only one that can pay the man to work..

I don't get the Nolan hate.. he did a great job with the team last time he was here and is doing a great job so far this time. There's been a huge improvement since he was hired, even Leino has been better.

chadthestampede

The Humanoid Typhoon
Jan 20, 2011
3 years huh? Either we are planning to be horrible through 2017, or Tim Murray thinks Ted Nolan is a decent coach. I don't know what would be worse.

I can't think of any worse news regarding the Sabres than this.

Yes because a coach has definitely never been fired before his contract was up.

KennyFnPowers*

I'm kind of glad he's staying. As long as Girgensons is happy and Myers continues his current play im more than content. They're integral pieces moving forward and probably the two most important on the current roster. I think Nolan has had a profound effect on them.

and Bingo was his name-o.

100% agree. I wonder if this whole PaLa-Gate debacle is going to screw our chances of landing the 2015 scouting combine? Or was it 2014? I was so looking forward to that... Patty: http://goo.gl/eae6LV

Thanks alot, Bud!

Sinter Klaas

Aug 19, 2006
Making Lists
I don't get the Nolan hate.. he did a great job with the team last time he was here and is doing a great job so far this time. There's been a huge improvement since he was hired, even Leino has been better.

I don't either.

Witnessed the Sabres from 1995 to 1997 and what Nolan did.

Witnessed the Islanders of 2005 - 2006 and how far away they were contending and how Nolan took them to the playoffs in a single season.

Witnessed what he did to Latvia in the Olympics and what he has done to a team that would even suck in the AHL this year alone.

But yeah, the game has passed him, he isn't a good coach, time to move on. :help:

CarlWinslow

@hiphopsicles
Jan 25, 2010
Winnipeg
I like Nolan. His ability to get guys to buy in and work hard is amazing. I'd love it if we had a real Xs and Os coach as an assistant to take care of that side of things. Even a more Xs and Os guy at the AHL level would be interesting too so that the kids could come in with the tactics in place then Nolan can motivate the heck out of them.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I don't get the idea Nolan can't coach a contending team either...because he's never been put in that position. We've never seen him try it, so how do we know he can't do it? Just because his style is more motivational than tactical?

Nolan is the right coach for this team at this juncture, and even 3-5 years from could still be the right coach for this team.

Endless Ike

Jul 21, 2004
Seattle, WA
I don't get the idea Nolan can't coach a contending team either...because he's never been put in that position. We've never seen him try it, so how do we know he can't do it? Just because his style is more motivational than tactical?

Nolan is the right coach for this team at this juncture, and even 3-5 years from could still be the right coach for this team.

Frankly I think its easier to learn the tactical side of things than the motivational side. Spend some time in the offseason with your coaches to polish and refine the system and all of a sudden you're a tactical coach.

Not that we want someone learning on the job, but this is hockey, not rocket surgery.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nolan seems to loath one year contract extensions, three seems reasonable if an extension is actually on the table... I can be added to the sparse Nolan fans, if he is extended he can be fired just as easy… The drama...

jamers

bleep bop bloop
Sep 17, 2011
Frankly I think its easier to learn the tactical side of things than the motivational side. Spend some time in the offseason with your coaches to polish and refine the system and all of a sudden you're a tactical coach.

Not that we want someone learning on the job, but this is hockey, not rocket surgery.

This. The players clearly love to play for him and are willing to work hard on the ice for him. When was the last time the team laid an egg on the ice during Nolan's tenure? They've been outplayed for sure, but haven't been outworked.

He seems like the ideal guy over the next few years to get our young pieces moving and working in the right direction. Long term, who knows, but that goes for every coach.

Calder 99

the bright side
Nov 10, 2013
Buffalo
I agree with Pierre Lebrun that a book should be made about the 2013-14 Sabres season. How crazy have these couple of days been?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad