Dreger: Teams considering a sign and trade for Taylor Hall

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
When does sign and trade ever happen in the NHL? Why would anyone do that when the only advantage the current team has to sign a player they don't want to an 8 year term?

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Do we really need a thread for every Insider Trading topic?

Geez

Yeah, would definitely prefer to see the usual threads that we see in here. I love seeing fan speculation the most. It is always meaningful, thought-provoking and civil debate with educated and unbiased perspectives from both sides.

Reactions: MMC

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
If Dreger said it, it's probably Taylor Hall's agent leaking to him. I don't see why teams would agree to a sign and trade before he's even played a game for them, pointlessly risky for the team acquiring him

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Monohan/Bennett for Hall/Reinhart.....Flames resign Hall...............Gaudreau to Flyers..........it's all lining up

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
How about to the oilers. most other Oiler fans will tear me up for this but I would do this deal if it was available.

To Buff: Neal, Samorukov or Benson or Lavoie, 1st 2021, 3rd 2022.

To Edmonton Hall 50% retained- Signed after for 6 years at 7 million per.

This is a buy low moment on two fronts. He is having a bad years so at 7 million you are paying him Kevin Hayes or Evander Kane money instead of Eichel, Marner, Matthews money. This is on top of being able to get him relatively cheap. Oiler fans will team me up for how much but am giving, but getting rid of Neal is half this deal by itself.

Edmonton Top 6 afterwards

RNH Mcdavid Puljujarvi
Hall Draisatl Yamamoto

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
If Dreger said it, it's probably Taylor Hall's agent leaking to him. I don't see why teams would agree to a sign and trade before he's even played a game for them, pointlessly risky for the team acquiring him
Well unless he was drafted by that team and played with them for 5 years?

Smitty426

Jun 25, 2006
Jersey
This has sweet Lou all over it. 1st rounder + Brian Bellows for a signed Taylor Hall at 3x7. Then trade a 2nd + Wilde for Palmieri and extend him at 5x5.

$100 mill cap in the offseason he'll whittle down at the expansion draft and before the entry draft by offering 2022-2032 first rounders. Isles will then have 20 players locked in at terms of 5+ years.
Kiefer... Brian's his dad

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
List of former MVPs under 30 available at the trade deadline:

Hall

Why not? If you are a GM already on shaky ground if your team doesn’t advance then Hall with term is not your problem, its the next guys problem.

Reactions: easton117 and mm11

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Leaving aside the absurdity of an NHL GM doing this before he's played a game for the new team, this makes even less sense in light of the expansion draft.

If anything, trade for him, see how it goes, and then do a handshake deal to extend him after Seattle has had its picks.

Reactions: barbu

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I don't understand how you can value this guy. Maybe he's worth term but you gotta take the 20 games to figure out what he's worth unless it's a sweetheart deal.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Seen him play a dozen times this year. shell of former self. giving up anything more than a late 2nd would be an overpayment.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Nevermind the hall part of the segment. Listen to the Seattle part of it. Lebrun is suggesting that Seattle may very well influence what kind of trades that happen or not happen cause some teams may be concern. By concern i mean if a team trade for let say a 4th Dman as the example he uses may lose that player to Seattle. And he suggests Francis in some cases is asking for a 1st and a prospect to not take someone.

I think Francis is going to try and hold out for the kinds of payments that Vegas got but GMs won't make that mistake again.

Real risk that Francis overplays his hand.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
Hall clearly has some place he has in mind but it wasn’t going to work so he took a one year deal that clearly backfired.
But it’s crazy how many people don’t want him on their team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad