Dreger: Teams considering a sign and trade for Taylor Hall

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
One of the most overrated players in the league. Excellent skills and talent but in his 10 years only 1 great season. I’d take him on my team but I’m not paying astronomical prices for him.

He's produced over a PPG in 4/10 of his seasons to date.

Only 1 Hart Trophy, but if that's your measure of a "great season" there are only a handful of great players in this league.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland

Only 1 Hart Trophy, but if that's your measure of a "great season" there are only a handful of great players in this league.

For a 1st overall pick with his expectations and contract that he seeks those are disappointing numbers. Solid player. Definitely a top6 winger. But he’s not great defensively and inconsistent as a goal scorer.

Reactions: APS

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
For a 1st overall pick with his expectations and contract that he seeks those are disappointing numbers. Solid player. Definitely a top6 winger. But he’s not great defensively and inconsistent as a goal scorer.

He two seasons removed from a PPG+ season and three seasons removed from a Hart trophy.

Last season he had 52P/65GP on teams with bottom 10 offenses and zero help.

If we're going just by this season he's only a solid player, but the previous 3 seasons combined he had 182P/174GP (91P pace over 82GP).

Reactions: Monsieur Verdoux

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
All of you guys are severely overreacting. Taylor Hall is a good player. Buffalo the team is a complete dumpster fire. This is a potentially extreme buy-low for a contending club if the AAV is reasonable enough. Carolina would probably be a leading candidate (maybe the leading contender) for Hall IF it's a sign and trade.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
This has sweet Lou all over it. 1st rounder + Brian Bellows for a signed Taylor Hall at 3x7. Then trade a 2nd + Wilde for Palmieri and extend him at 5x5.

$100 mill cap in the offseason he'll whittle down at the expansion draft and before the entry draft by offering 2022-2032 first rounders. Isles will then have 20 players locked in at terms of 5+ years.

Fine by me.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Isn't the whole purpose of a "show me" contract to actually show something good? So far the only thing he's shown me is that he can get smoked in the mush with a slapper and heal faster than Wolverine.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax

I think great players games evolve every year . Hall hasn’t improve his defensive play since he came in to the NHL . He still relies on his speed. The problem with that is he starting to slow down . Hall isn’t a player you spend big on acquiring or on a long term contract. He needs to be given a 2-3 year contract max at no more then 4 million

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
If they sign him to an extra year, can they retain? Say they sign him to 6 or 7 for a year, I could see teams giving up a 1st + prospect for 2 playoff runs of Hall at 4 and 3.5.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The only way this makes sense is for a team that has some capspace right now that has expansion draft problems...

Taylor Hall with 1-2 years left on a 6-7 m year deal is probably too good to pass up for a team that will be drowning in Ds but very much limited to UFA forwards when it comes to quality in Seattle...

Minnesota would have been a great guess but they don't have the capspace.

Nashville seems like the best bet now that they are back in the race...
Might allow them to keep all of their 4 Ds without having to lose another quality forward.
Also could help them for a playoff push.

I also want to see the Duchene- Hall combo just for the memes...

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
How can anyone say it’s a bad idea without even knowing what the term and contract is?

Buying low on Hall and what I can only imagine as getting a good deal with term would be a great idea.

Hall is still a great player and I’d more than bank that this is an outlier season. If you can get 3.5 years of Hall at let’s say 3 x 6m for a 1st and prospect I wouldn’t mind at all.

How many 1st round picks carve a career that he has so far and how many makes that impact immediately?

Things to consider.

Reactions: Nanuuk and Guffman

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Nevermind the hall part of the segment. Listen to the Seattle part of it. Lebrun is suggesting that Seattle may very well influence what kind of trades that happen or not happen cause some teams may be concern. By concern i mean if a team trade for let say a 4th Dman as the example he uses may lose that player to Seattle. And he suggests Francis in some cases is asking for a 1st and a prospect to not take someone.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad