WC: TEAM USA

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
They can only blame themselves for how they stopped playing in the last period and just started defending their lead. If ever one game could destroy everything good that has been seen, this was it. Embarassing.

The best part is that Germany wasn't even particularly good today. They just collapsed in front of the semi-final curse like they always do.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They can only blame themselves for how they stopped playing in the last period and just started defending their lead. If ever one game could destroy everything good that has been seen, this was it. Embarassing.
Relax with the hyperbole. They had their chances in OT, just didn't happen for them. It is what it is, brought a team of college kids and AHL players and got beat by a team that wasn't too far off in talent level that took advantage of chances.

Reactions: PWiz30

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
Relax with the hyperbole. They had their chances in OT, just didn't happen for them. It is what it is, brought a team of college kids and AHL players and got beat by a team that wasn't too far off in talent level that took advantage of chances.

My dude, we're sitting at 12 straight semifinal losses now. Let us vent a bit.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

I strongly disagree. If they had played the way they have played all tournament and played the first two, I'm pretty sure the result would have been different.

Reactions: William H Bonney

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
They haven’t played in a WC gold that wasn’t an Olympic year since my father was a tween. They haven’t won in 90 years. This one stings after how well they played as a team until today.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
USAH special at the World Championship. Pathetic. Zero wins in their last 12 semifinal appearances. And they choked this one way in the last 83 seconds.

They thought it was over after the first 5 minutes. A byproduct of being really young, overconfident, and having a head coach who has never proven how to manage a game at any level. And then that passive defend the lead bullshit strategy in the 3rd was an embarrassment. Only would Quinn pull back the reins, neutralizing the team's identity that was the main reason they were successful in the first place. If you're going to lose, do so playing the style that made you successful all tournament. And especially don't change things up when your team is so young and inexperienced. Keep it simple, keep it the same, let them play their game and let the chips fall where they may.

DeSmith struggled. Poor rebound control, was off his angles all game, and didn't make any big saves. Perbix and Thrun were liabilities today. The 4th line was terrible as they were out there for most of the good German chances and couldn't clear the zone (I'm looking at you Farrell) to save their lives.

Germany was a tough matchup because they are one of the better skating teams here and they have size, too. And their goalie outplayed DeSmith. But this loss is inexcusable.

This team went from a group that would have gone into the USA Hockey Hall of Fame if they finally broke through for gold here to just another in the long line of teams who choked in the World Championship.

While it'd be nice for them to bring home bronze, I couldn't care less. That medal won't do anything to change USAH's trajectory at this tournament. I'm not rooting for Latvia of course, but I won't be mad if the Latvians win bronze as it'd mean so much to that country and its hockey program.

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I'm not saying that I ever hope for a loss either, but at least USA Hockey couldn't try to embellish their record with some embarrassing bronze medals.

I was close to praising Quinn, but his time with USA Hockey should be over. I also can't understand how a professional coach can waste most of the PP time with the same line-up over and over again even though they didn't accomplish anything during the entire tournament.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I'm not saying that I ever hope for a loss either, but at least USA Hockey couldn't try to embellish their record with some embarrassing bronze medals.

I was close to praising Quinn, but his time with USA Hockey should be over. I also can't understand how a professional coach can waste most of the PP time with the same line-up over and over again even though they didn't accomplish anything during the entire tournament.

If he's back again next year I might not even watch at all.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I've seen this dog and pony show from Quinn since he was with the NTDP. He's fine as a coach when the games don't matter but he always gets exposed when the pressure is on as he has no idea how to coach through it.

Lost the U18s with the NTDP.

Lost every important game at BU.

Took the Olympic team to an undefeated round robin only to flame out in the quarters.

Led last year's WC team who choked away the bronze after going up multiple goals early.

Complete failure at the NHL level so far.

Choked here.

He really should just go back to NCAA hockey where he can recruit his way to really strong rosters that are capable of masking a lot of his ineptitude.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Really thought that this team would break the streak of playing well but couldn't get out of the semis. I'll probably turn 70 and the US will have accumulated 27 Bronze medals in this tournament.

Yah I'm going to complain about the IIHF refs and the 1st German goal. Should not have been allowed. I've seen less disallowed for interference. And of course Quinn stood there with his thumb up his butte.

Played not to lose near the end. And it cost them. You could see the tying goal coming. Watched enough to know. It was a classic choke job.

Yay Bronze!!!

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Next year I plan on working towards my Master's degree instead of watching this shit show. Fingers crossed as maybe Umberger might be one of my classmates..

On a separate note, this might be the first time I have ever seen a US team go into a full prevent d mode for over 30 minutes of the game..they simply stopped doing what got them here..skate aggressively...

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Ask Gerard Gallant.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
I've pretty much stuck to the Devils board or stayed off of HFBoards entirely the last handful of years, but as a big fan of USA Hockey I need to vent and my frustration actually has nothing to do with the guys who were on the ice today.

What's inexcusable to me is that every year it seems like USA Hockey has to choose between having a team that will compete hard on the ice and roster that has the talent to win it all. It kills me that even when we do have a year where a lot of the stars opt to play, they treat it like a vacation and then come home to laugh about how fun it was on podcasts after going out with a whimper in the quarterfinals.

How is it that in an era where both the quantity and quality of American talent in the NHL are greater than they've ever been, our best chance of winning the only senior level IIHF tournament is to send a scrappy bunch of kids and journeymen? What needs to change so that when our star players do play, they act like they give a shit?

Zaar

Feb 5, 2017
Germany
What needs to change so that when our star players do play, they act like they give a shit?
I assume to act like you give a shit you need to give a shit.

But to be honest, I don't think that participating stars in the past didn't care. Why Team USA has so much difficulties to advance to the final for more than a decade is really hard to tell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad