WC: TEAM USA

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
This tournament also sucks, so it's not a big deal.

It's good news when a lower tier country wins, or does well, but overall this tournament is low end

No North Americans pretend it's a top quality tournament. But it's inexcusable for USAH to have gone 90 years without gold while losing 12 straight semifinals.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
No North Americans pretend it's a top quality tournament. But it's inexcusable for USAH to have gone 90 years without gold while losing 12 straight semifinals.
OK that's fair I didn't know it was that long since a gold for US.

Sure it is low end but it has an impact on the big picture. If we want to be in Canada's tails, we have to do well in the seniors as well.
True, but to me, a Canadian, Canada has more depth, so a random tournament like this Canada has way more players to choose from than the US.

However, when it comes to best on best US has superior goaltending to Canada and that will likely be the difference whenever that comes, so I don't feel the states are still behind Canada.

If Canada doesn't learn how to develop goalies again they're going to be in tough to even get to a gold medal game for best on best.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

True, but to me, a Canadian, Canada has more depth, so a random tournament like this Canada has way more players to choose from than the US.

However, when it comes to best on best US has superior goaltending to Canada and that will likely be the difference whenever that comes, so I don't feel the states are still behind Canada.

If Canada doesn't learn how to develop goalies again they're going to be in tough to even get to a gold medal game for best on best.

The thing is that Canada's depth is not that much better these days. The gap has been narrowing for years. Still they have seven finals in eight years when we are unable to win one semi-final game. It's on USA Hockey and it is pathetic.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic

Lol Canada will never be in tough when it comes to winning gold best on best, Canada will never be in tough to win gold period.

That's pretty irrelevant anyways. Last 'best-on-best' tournament has occurred nearly 10 years ago (2014), so it is pretty pointless to even talk about that. WHC is currently the best international tournament that hockey have, therefore winning this tournament should be priority.

People on this forum are speculating about rosters in 'best-on-best' format over and over, but what's the point when there is clearly not such a tournament?

Last edited:
Reactions: heksagon

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
This tournament also sucks, so it's not a big deal.

It's good news when a lower tier country wins, or does well, but overall this tournament is low end

Sure, but this tournament is all we have right now. We haven't had a true best-on-best tournament since Sochi and the NHL hasn't done anything to inspire confidence that that's going to change anytime soon.

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
Not like our performances best-on-best are much to write home about either.

Only teams to put in a good effort were 2002 and 2010.

The amount of talent that would be available to USA hockey for a hypothetical 2023 best on best tournament would be light years ahead of any team we've ever had. It would be the first time winning gold in such a tournament wouldn't require one or more massive upsets.

Unfortunately hockey is the best sport with the worst major professional league so we might never see this generation of NHL players play in a tournament like that.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I assume to act like you give a shit you need to give a shit.

But to be honest, I don't think that participating stars in the past didn't care. Why Team USA has so much difficulties to advance to the final for more than a decade is really hard to tell.
A bit of an understatement there as the last (and only) time was in 1933.

• Wow
Reactions: Zaar and heksagon

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
My enthusiasm for the success here was tempered by what I would say is a very weak field of competition, but this loss is pretty unforgivable to me. They've never had a better chance to get over the semi-final hurdle, and I was even confident they could take this year's Canadian team to finally get the Gold, but just a major let down. My recording of the game ended with about 5 minutes left in regulation but I'm almost glad I didn't have to sit through Germany tying it with the goalie pulled and the OT winner.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Genuine respect to this team - they battled for weeks. I really enjoyed watching the skating and the kids.

My main takeaway remains how little North American NHLers care about this tournament and representing their country, really upsetting.

Reactions: CutOnDime97

KingAlfie11

Nov 3, 2021
Genuine respect to this team - they battled for weeks. I really enjoyed watching the skating and the kids.

My main takeaway remains how little North American NHLers care about this tournament and representing their country, really upsetting.
I do agree with you, but in a way I think its more exciting this way because you have more upsets and gives the chance to players that usually would not have a chance to represent their country to participate. I enjoyed watching the US play this year they were exiting and they had an amazing championship.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
I do agree with you, but in a way I think its more exciting this way because you have more upsets and gives the chance to players that usually would not have a chance to represent their country to participate. I enjoyed watching the US play this year they were exiting and they had an amazing championship.

The tournament simply is better when you get Tuch WITH Pavelski, Kane - and then some mid level guys who would be fringe for best on best. Abdelkader is a name who comes to mind.

Honestly TJ Oshie’s WC involvement might have put him on the 2014 Olympics roster.

But yeah, I appreciate the guys who showed up. Rocco Grimaldi will always be a dude who I root for.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
I have to give some credit to the players as they did there very level best with the roster they had. This team played well through stretches. Did not expect this roster to do what they did during the prelims.

Quinn just does not have the mind for in-game management. Many coaches, like Quinn, just just keep throwing the same lines over the boards and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00