Team toughness

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Whenever I think of tea(m) toughness I think more of resilience and mentality and adaptation ability. To be hard to play against. Efficient with the puck (retrieval and breakouts)... Not so much RAH RAH HITZ anymore. The game right now is not favoring that play style.

Last edited:

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I got a black eye just from reading this thread. So much grit in here.

The anger in this thread pretty much mirrors the anger people have out in the real world.

It always breaks down the same way: anger at some perceived injustice leads to fixating on a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter which leads to a call to action involving some sort of punitive and/or violent response that wont do anything other than maybe make us feel better for a few moments which leads to more anger when the problem doesn't get fixed. It's insane.

The answer is pretty simple, like BRB said. Instill a culture that values hard work and a system that involves forechecking and cycling and the hits and physicality will come naturally.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
The anger in this thread pretty much mirrors the anger people have out in the real world.

It always breaks down the same way: anger at some perceived injustice leads to fixating on a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter which leads to a call to action involving some sort of punitive and/or violent response that wont do anything other than maybe make us feel better for a few moments which leads to more anger when the problem doesn't get fixed. It's insane.

The answer is pretty simple, like BRB said. Instill a culture that values hard work and a system that involves forechecking and cycling and the hits and physicality will come naturally.
There’s no p”perceived injustice “ here. There are actually many real life events during actual rangers games where our players were targeted and the referees and league did nothing. Neither did our players

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

Someone tried in get in the elevator before allowing people to exit, I asked them to drop the gloves. Another person stopped dead at the top of the escalator while people were piling up and I told them to look for me next shift....I won’t even tell you what happened with the person ahead of me on the bus line who after waiting 10 minutes still didn’t have their fare ready.....

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Holy shit man!

Deep playoff games are not United Nation Meetings with the Dalai Lama.

The NHL is the host of a rough sport. This isn’t a political movement. There can still be peace in the Middle East and elsewhere if the Rangers knocked some scum bags teeth out to advance a round.

Wow this has gone way off the rails.

Reactions: dumpin and NYR

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Holy **** man!

Deep playoff games are not United Nation Meetings with the Dalai Lama.

The NHL is the host of a rough sport. This isn’t a political movement. There can still be peace in the Middle East and elsewhere if the Rangers knocked some scum bags teeth out to advance a round.

Wow this has gone way off the rails.
I didn’t realize games were decided on how many teeth were lost during it

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
There’s no p”perceived injustice “ here. There are actually many real life events during actual rangers games where our players were targeted and the referees and league did nothing. Neither did our players

There are always going to be a few idiots whose game revolves around dirty hits. It was that way back when the Rangers had tons of people who could drop the gloves or throw a well timed elbow or slash and its the same now. No one is targeting the Rangers specifically, that's just hockey.

As for retaliation, maybe a dirty hit by the Rangers knocks an important opposing player out of the game. Or maybe the player that gets hit doesn't miss a shift and the Rangers end up with a major penalty. The usefulness of that kind of stuff depends on the situation. But lets not pretend it deters anything.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
To claim that our team shouldn't go out and initiate contact or target the top players of the league is a bit naive to say the least.

The top players of the league are the #1 targets in every single game as they should be.

You don't have to be Purington and crush everything that moves but you aren't winning shit without bringing some physicality..

Reactions: dumpin

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
To claim that our team shouldn't go out and initiate contact or target the top players of the league is a bit naive to say the least.

The top players of the league are the #1 targets in every single game as they should be.

You don't have to be Purington and crush everything that moves but you aren't winning **** without bringing some physicality..
this is kind of where I stand but more with you got to get these guys to buy into a system, hopefully a good aggressive forecheck and tight gap control, they buy in and they will incorporate it into their playstyle. Low enthusiasm hockey won't have these guys playing like that or going that much more to pressure or wear down opposition

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
this is kind of where I stand but more with you got to get these guys to buy into a system, hopefully a good aggressive forecheck and tight gap control, they buy in and they will incorporate it into their playstyle. Low enthusiasm hockey won't have these guys playing like that or going that much more to pressure or wear down opposition

Exactly
I'm expecting to see a good example of similar systems in tonight's Winnipeg vs Nashville game.
Keep the physical stuff within the rules and it's extremely effective.

Reactions: Off Sides

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Tough + skill also means aggressive for and back checks.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Oh sorry super fan. This post is a joke right??

Because if not then you’re ok with all the injures and uncalled major intent to injure penalties ending seasons and ruining careers to NY RANGERS PLAYERS AS A NY RANGERS FAN in the last bunch of years. Because that’s what has happened. Most fans are not!!! I’d rather see it the other way for once or twice.

Need I remind you of the players affected?

I would love to hear about all the NYR players who lost their careers in the war on toughness. Who?

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I would love to hear about all the NYR players who lost their careers in the war on toughness. Who?
I’ll do you one better. Name for me an opposing player injured or even knocked out of so much as a game by a borderline dirty hit from a Rangers player. Go ahead........... you can’t! Meanwhile start listing the Rangers it’s happened to.

I also never said lost their careers. I said had their careers ruined as in significantly disrupted or shortened.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Imo practical and useful toughness in today’s NHL means finishing checks, being hard on the puck and not backing down when challenged whether it be for a puck battle, a foot race, a fight, etc.

Going around making questionable hits or face washing someone after every play isn’t useful at all anymore imo.

Look at Vegas. They’re not in your face physical but they’re hard to play against because they’re relentless down to a man. Even Boston without Marchand running around like a moron, they’re not throwing elbows and fists all the time but they’re tough because they never stop or show weakness.

This, more than anything, is a coaching issue imo. You can add guys who naturally play that way but you can also coach everyone else into that mentality if you have a good leader behind the bench.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad