Team toughness

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I’ll do you one better. Name for me an opposing player injured or even knocked out of so much as a game by a borderline dirty hit from a Rangers player. Go ahead........... you can’t! Meanwhile start listing the Rangers it’s happened to.

I also never said lost their careers. I said had their careers ruined as in significantly disrupted or shortened.

Ok who has had their career ruined?

Sauer. For sure. Playing on a Torts coached team with Rupp, Bickel and Prust running around fighting everyone, ironically. Who else?

I'm not compiling lists for stuff I didn't claim. I'm totally on board for a more Boston/Winnipeg style team - bigger forechecking squads. Totally agree there. But this obsession with injuring people is one of the more bizarre things I've seen on here. And this place is f***ing weird.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Sauer. For sure. Playing on a Torts coached team with Rupp, Bickel and Prust running around fighting everyone, ironically. Who else?

I'm not compiling lists for stuff I didn't claim. I'm totally on board for a more Boston/Winnipeg style team - bigger forechecking squads. Totally agree there. But this obsession with injuring people is one of the more bizarre things I've seen on here. And this place is ****ing weird.

More like an obsession with hyperbole and fitting in with the echo chamber.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
People keep coming up with "tough guys", like Rupp, Prust, Dorsett ... gtfo.

Carcillo was the only guys I'd say was a tough capable player. B.Boyle was a big body, but didn't do shit with that body. Cally was fringe tough, didn't have the mass, ended up wanting a 2nd line scorers salary.

And I sure af hope Machinehead was kidding when he mentioned Dan Boyle. Dude was the diametric opposite of tough.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017

I'm not compiling lists for stuff I didn't claim. I'm totally on board for a more Boston/Winnipeg style team - bigger forechecking squads. Totally agree there. But this obsession with injuring people is one of the more bizarre things I've seen on here. And this place is ****ing weird.
I’m not obsessed with injuring people. I said for once or twice it would be much better to see another teams player hurt by one of our guys instead of the other way around. Sheesh. If you e watched the Rangers it has been totally one sided for years now.

I want a Predators or a Winnipeg type team as well. And I don’t NEED for my guys to hospitalize another teams players. But it’s going to happen in hockey and I’d rather my team be the aggressors instead of the p*$$*-@

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I’m not obsessed with injuring people. I said for once or twice it would be much better to see another teams player hurt by one of our guys instead of the other way around. Sheesh. If you e watched the Rangers it has been totally one sided for years now.

I want a Predators or a Winnipeg type team as well. And I don’t NEED for my guys to hospitalize another teams players. But it’s going to happen in hockey and I’d rather my team be the aggressors instead of the p*$$*-@

I haven't seen you produce any concrete examples of what Rangers have been put in wheelchairs because the team isn't tough. Perhaps that's because your argument is an emotional one based in an alternate reality.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I haven't seen you produce any concrete examples of what Rangers have been put in wheelchairs because the team isn't tough. Perhaps that's because your argument is an emotional one based in an alternate reality.
Now you guys say wheelchairs! When did I now say crippled? Im done with you mutants. I’ll post in this thread but not respond to ridiculous exaggerated posts.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
We have a Eddie Johnston player but we need a Barry Beck type defensemen in terms of toughness and shutdown ability.

I still do not understand why we traded JT. He can play the game and was one of the tougher guys on this team.

FWIW though I've seen Namestnikov fight---he's not that bad. He doesn't do it that often--once, twice a year (which is more than a lot of other players we have) and he's not going to do well against someone much bigger who does it often--but he ain't bad.

I liked your post anyway--it's the right direction--get guys who can play and who are capable of being proactive when the need arises.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
Imo practical and useful toughness in today’s NHL means finishing checks, being hard on the puck and not backing down when challenged whether it be for a puck battle, a foot race, a fight, etc.

Going around making questionable hits or face washing someone after every play isn’t useful at all anymore imo.

Look at Vegas. They’re not in your face physical but they’re hard to play against because they’re relentless down to a man. Even Boston without Marchand running around like a moron, they’re not throwing elbows and fists all the time but they’re tough because they never stop or show weakness.

This, more than anything, is a coaching issue imo. You can add guys who naturally play that way but you can also coach everyone else into that mentality if you have a good leader behind the bench.
Except chara constantly cross checks without retribution! About the 2nd time he did that to me, I would be suspended for 20 games!

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Imo practical and useful toughness in today’s NHL means finishing checks, being hard on the puck and not backing down when challenged whether it be for a puck battle, a foot race, a fight, etc.

Going around making questionable hits or face washing someone after every play isn’t useful at all anymore imo.

Look at Vegas. They’re not in your face physical but they’re hard to play against because they’re relentless down to a man. Even Boston without Marchand running around like a moron, they’re not throwing elbows and fists all the time but they’re tough because they never stop or show weakness.

This, more than anything, is a coaching issue imo. You can add guys who naturally play that way but you can also coach everyone else into that mentality if you have a good leader behind the bench.

This, I think, was the ultimate goal of this thread: to highlight how we basically were consistently coming out flat this past year and didn't show that competitive fire that we all wanted to see from the team. It's two-fold in blame: yes the roster makeup is part of it, but this ultimately a coaching issue.

Gallant took a team of guys that were thrown together on a team and had them all busting their asses from the get go. It's a coaching issue that I hope is remedied very soon.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Tragically enough the guy who ended Beuks career ended up with some serious CTE issues of his own: depression, addiction and eventually homelessness.

But hey, at least he played the game like a man.

There's post after post looking for examples and now I gave you one.

Now you think his personal issues and homelessness excuse him from ending the career of our #2 D man at the time?

Interesting..

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
There's post after post looking for examples and now I gave you one.

Now you think his personal issues and homelessness excuse him from ending the career of our #2 D man at the time?

Interesting..

I think it’s tragically ironic that the guy who ended Beuks career with a sucker punch ended up having his brain addled due to years of being punched in the face.

You know... what I wrote.

Reactions: All Might

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I think it’s tragically ironic that the guy who ended Beuks career with a sucker punch ended up having his brain addled due to years of being punched in the face.

You know... what I wrote.

And you know what I wrote and what I expect out of this team as far as team toughness goes but you seem to be taking it a bit too far.

Aside from that, it's a shame that both players had their careers cut short but at the end of the day we still need players that can play "man" hockey..

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
I rather have a fast team than a tough team. This isn't even last decade hockey and alot of teams are suffering because they are too slow. Toughness comes with confidence and confidence comes from winning games.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
FWIW though I've seen Namestnikov fight---he's not that bad. He doesn't do it that often--once, twice a year (which is more than a lot of other players we have) and he's not going to do well against someone much bigger who does it often--but he ain't bad.

I liked your post anyway--it's the right direction--get guys who can play and who are capable of being proactive when the need arises.
I only saw one fight by Names but he did surprisingly well. I like Nams skills but I would have liked him in addition to JT not instead of JT.

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
This, I think, was the ultimate goal of this thread: to highlight how we basically were consistently coming out flat this past year and didn't show that competitive fire that we all wanted to see from the team. It's two-fold in blame: yes the roster makeup is part of it, but this ultimately a coaching issue.

Gallant took a team of guys that were thrown together on a team and had them all busting their asses from the get go. It's a coaching issue that I hope is remedied very soon.

The Man responsible for Vegas is George McPhee.. GM of the Year. He also would be my ideal fourth line forward. Tough. Always put pressure on the D. Stood up for his teammates, just didn't score enough.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
The Man responsible for Vegas is George McPhee.. GM of the Year. He also would be my ideal fourth line forward. Tough. Always put pressure on the D. Stood up for his teammates, just didn't score enough.
He was as tough as they come especially for a undersized guy. I wonder if he is still in contact with Barry Beck. If my memory is correct George had some decent (not great) skills but I think his scoring declined after injury. I always liked George. Those 1980's teams were fun.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Another small but tough Ranger came to mind Eddie Johnstone. Now he could score. Also Theo Fleury.
EJ was the man. I used to love when our crowd would cheer EJ EJ EJ. That "lets get younger" trade (EJ, Doogs, & Mio for Osborne, Blaisdell & Huber) to Detroit took the heart and soul out of this team.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I only saw one fight by Names but he did surprisingly well. I like Nams skills but I would have liked him in addition to JT not instead of JT.

I agree. I wasn't down on Miller at all. I mean he certainly had areas he could have improved more and he disappeared for stretches at times like practically everyone else. I like Vlad but he didn't play that great for us down the stretch. If I had to choose between the two it would be Miller though.

Reactions: NickyFotiu

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

I still give Gallant the credit for galvanizing that crew. McPhee did get a little lucky that Tallon gifted him two first liners.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I rather have a fast team than a tough team. This isn't even last decade hockey and alot of teams are suffering because they are too slow. Toughness comes with confidence and confidence comes from winning games.

The best teams combine different elements. You don't see the Pens without someone who can take care of business or the Caps. They have skill, speed too. Teams would target a guy like Crosby--who plays a gnarly game--a lot more if there wasn't someone who could back him up. If the Rangers win the #1 OA they'll target Dahlin. Guys like Wilson, Komarov, Clutterbuck, Paquette will take runs at him whenever they get a chance. Most teams have guys like that. There are also a number of Gudas, Orpik, Emelin types running around.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00