Team toughness

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
To be fair, they are dressing Oleksiak who is also a tough SOB

Oleksiak is an excellent fighter. He is very big and knows how to use his reach. Within Pittsburgh's system he is a capable enough bottom pairing D. He doesn't really go out of his way looking for trouble but he also doesn't shy away when trouble comes along and he will defend his teammates.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It really depends on how good of a shape they come into camp. And our coach. And getting outworked by stellar rookies. It's entirely impossible to predict at this point.

After the last couple seasons from Beleskey and last season from Smith I don't think we can take it for granted that either will rebound. Both will have to be in top condition to make the team--that goes without saying but being in top condition doesn't necessarily mean they will. They will have to also earn a spot in training camp and I'm not really counting on either to do that. It might help that there will be a new coaching regime in place. Typically players start with a clean slate when that happens but like I said they will have to beat out other players.

Looking at the D with Smith--he's not beating out Skjei or Staal on the left--then he has O'Gara, Gilmour--maybe a young guy like Hajek. On the right Shattenkirk, Pionk, DeAngelo, Kampfer. Lindgren is another guy who might surprise. I suspect the Rangers will sign at least one vet free agent D to balance things out. They'll have the money unless they go after someone like Tavares and why not it's not like Brendan showed himself to be very dependable last year. Brendan has his work cut out for him if he wants to make it back to the Rangers.

As for Belesekey--again he's got to show up in shape--is he likely player for your top 9? Probably not--so he'll be a 30 year old 4th line winger who will need to make himself useful---not only come in great shape but consistently play well. His numbers last year were horrific--0 points in 15 NHL games. 12 points in 35 AHL games.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Looking at the D with Smith--he's not beating out Skjei or Staal on the left--then he has O'Gara, Gilmour--maybe a young guy like Hajek.
O'Gara & Gilmour may not be that big of an obstacle to overcome. O'Gara looked poor and Gilmour's ability to play defense is highly questionable.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
O'Gara & Gilmour may not be that big of an obstacle to overcome. O'Gara looked poor and Gilmour's ability to play defense is highly questionable.

O'Gara looked poor for 7-8 games and afterwards played fairly well. He looked better in the last two-three weeks of the season than Brendan Smith did all year long. Gilmour's got wheels and offensive skills that easily eclipse Smith's. Gilmour is not great defensively but what I saw from the two of them last year he wasn't any worse than Smith. So can Brendan beat each of these guys out?--I don't know. I will add this both O'Gara and Gilmour won't break the bank.

And again I don't think the Rangers will stand pat during free agency--I would be shocked if they didn't sign at least one free agent defenseman. They've always been at least somewhat active during free agent season and I don't see any reason why that's going to stop. If nothing else you can use short term free agent signings as trade chips later on at the deadline. To me if you have the cap space it's stupid not to use it.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
With 3 of the 4 teams left already decided I think it’s time to look at whose left and how much “toughness” they have.

Capitals. Good mix of skill and physicality with a few guys who are predators and go over the edge at times.

Lightning. A better version of the caps but with less “ dirty” players, but VERY physical and tons of skill

Golden Knights. The “softest” team left, but not soft. Basically a team of above average grinders with elite goaltending and luck. They ALL play physical and relentless though.

Predators and Jets. VERY PHYSICAL AND DIRTY. Yes they have really skilled players as well, but their teams pound you into submission.

..........Yet their are people on this lovely site who don’t think “toughness” is important in today’s NHL

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
With 3 of the 4 teams left already decided I think it’s time to look at whose left and how much “toughness” they have.

Capitals. Good mix of skill and physicality with a few guys who are predators and go over the edge at times.

Lightning. A better version of the caps but with less “ dirty” players, but VERY physical and tons of skill

Golden Knights. The “softest” team left, but not soft. Basically a team of above average grinders with elite goaltending and luck. They ALL play physical and relentless though.

Predators and Jets. VERY PHYSICAL AND DIRTY. Yes they have really skilled players as well, but their teams pound you into submission.

..........Yet their are people on this lovely site who don’t think “toughness” is important in today’s NHL
A. Toughness means different things to different people.

B. The Pens just won two in a row and they weren’t overly tough in any way while doing it. That means more than the makeup of 2 teams who will get as far as Ottawa did last year.

Imo the Vegas flavor of toughness is what we should be shooting for because it doesn’t hem you into a corner where you need certain types of guys who tend to be horrendous at actually playing the game. For every Tom Wilson and Matt Tkachuk there are 100 Tanner Glass and Cody’s McLeods. If you’re trying to get bruisers you’re more likely than not going to end up routinely dressing bad players.

Vegas has guys who aren’t necessarily tough players but they play tough be being relentless on the puck and having each other’s backs at all times. That’s mostly players buying into a coaching philosophy rather than getting certain players who play “tough” naturally and hoping they also suddenly learn how to play with the puck. They aren’t mostly grinders by any means, they have a ton of skill players but even their skill players are absolutely relentless at all times.

Reactions: Off Sides

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011

Until they make the NHL a no contact league toughness will probably remain a factor in the playoffs.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Toughness means different things to different people.
It certainly does. Unfortunately for the Rangers, AV found a way to coach it out of the franchise as it was a pretty "tough/gritty" team when he came on. That speaks to his philosophy and the type of players he wanted. The team needs more players that are not afraid of seperating the opposition from the puck by using the body, as opposed to trying to poke check everything. The team needs players that do not shy away from corners. The team needs players (and a mind set) that will not hesitate to stand up for each other. Finally, the team does need some players who will take the fight to the other team.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
It certainly does. Unfortunately for the Rangers, AV found a way to coach it out of the franchise as it was a pretty "tough/gritty" team when he came on. That speaks to his philosophy and the type of players he wanted. The team needs more players that are not afraid of seperating the opposition from the puck by using the body, as opposed to trying to poke check everything. The team needs players that do not shy away from corners. The team needs players (and a mind set) that will not hesitate to stand up for each other. Finally, the team does need some players who will take the fight to the other team.
My point is I think we already have a lot of those players but they were being told specifically not to do those things and were punished when they did anyway.

Also I think we got a few guys who are naturally more like that in Andersson and Lindgren - both play very hard.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Totally agree.

Players who will stand up at the blue line so we don't have to defend as much... or a system that encourages it at least. We should be making other teams fight for every inch of ice... it always made me sick to my stomach watching our defense back their way all the way in virtually laying out the red carpet for the opposition.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
My point is I think we already have a lot of those players but they were being told specifically not to do those things and were punished when they did anyway.

Also I think we got a few guys who are naturally more like that in Andersson and Lindgren - both play very hard.
I do not disagree. I.e Krieder feeling AV's displeasure. But more of those players are needed.

Reactions: haveandare

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Players who will stand up at the blue line so we don't have to defend as much... or a system that encourages it at least. We should be making other teams fight for every inch of ice... it always made me sick to my stomach watching our defense back their way all the way in virtually laying out the red carpet for the opposition.
Forgot to add that the team needs players who are not afraid to going to the net and defenseman who are not afraid of clearing the crease.

Completely agreed on the defense. Could not stand to watch 4 players waive their sticks while the opposing player just drove to the net.

As for making teams fight for every inch of the ice, that is one of the many reasons I loved the team under Torts and hated the way AV had the team play.

Reactions: Riche16

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I do not disagree. I.e Krieder feeling AV's displeasure. But more of those players are needed.
Yeah, for sure. I just hope we don't continue to sacrifice actual playing ability for perceived toughness like we did with Glass, McLeod, etc. We need guys who can play and who are hard to play against whenever we can get them and we need a coach who enforces a system that makes life hard for the other team.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Oleksiak isn't terrible, but he adds nothing. I'd rather just put Smith in that spot.

As far as looking at the remaining playoff teams, the team with better regular season analytics has won 9/11 series.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
Tom Wilson sucks and he’s not European or Russian. We don’t need that kind of player

Oh and according to some on here deflections are all luck

:sarcasm::D:D Hahaha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad