Olympics: Team Switzerland 2022

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm pretty neutral. I mean there is so little which decides if you have success or not. Remember the 0.X seconds where the puck crosses the line in the quarters vs. Canada?

Biggest issues is obviously scoring but I see no reasony why the team shouldn't be able to have a run similar to Germany 2018.

I feel really sorry for Josi, I'm pretty sure he'd loved to play. I really hope he gets the chance to play another WC soon.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Its certainly a big improvement for the first line and especially on the PP. Just sucks that China got to host the games. Wasnt there any application from a country that actually respects basic human rights?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hofmann - Corvi - Bertschy
Herzog - Malgin - Andrighetto
Moser - Haas - Ambühl
Rod - Baltisperger - Scherwey
Vermin, Praplan

Alatalo - Untersander
Frick - Loeffel
Muller - Diaz
Weber - Rathgeb

Genoni
Berra
Nyffeler

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Scherwey is out injured unfortunately. To bad as he is one of the more consistent players on the team that can elevate his performance under pressure when it actually matters. Certainly a significant loss...

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Its certainly a big improvement for the first line and especially on the PP. Just sucks that China got to host the games. Wasnt there any application from a country that actually respects basic human rights?

Switzerland didn't want to. But any country with basic respect for human rights would probably not be able to host the 2022 olympics in the midst of this pandemic.
But yeah, it's urgent that Olympic Wintergames go back to where they belong. To the mountains.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Not really fair to hockey hotbeds like Finland, Czech Republic or Latvia to say that this tournament belongs only to mountain places.

Scherwey is a big loss, but overall I think that this week has been positive. Hofmann is a big boost.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Not really fair to hockey hotbeds like Finland, Czech Republic or Latvia to say that this tournament belongs only to mountain places.

Scherwey is a big loss, but overall I think that this week has been positive. Hofmann is a big boost.

It would probably be hard for those countries to organize the skiing events though. Kind of weird that neither Switzerland, nor Austria or Germany hosted any games since the 70's since they have about the best conditions for such games overall. Even though for Switzerland there seems to be reluctance for the financial commitments within the population. Still id rather have the games always in the North America or Italy than letting an authoritarian state like China boost its prestige with it.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
Hofmann - Corvi - Bertschy
Herzog - Malgin - Andrighetto
Moser - Haas - Ambühl
Rod - Baltisperger - Scherwey
Vermin, Praplan

Alatalo - Untersander
Frick - Loeffel
Muller - Diaz
Weber - Rathgeb

Genoni
Berra
Nyffeler

I would personally give Mottet a chance. He is putting up big points the second season now and also performed well for the NT this year. We can really use an offensive weapon. I am also a big fan of Baltisperger, but he was not nominated for the NT this year yet. Maybe Fischer wanted to give him some rest after the ugly injury last year but it is not a good sign for me. He is one of the best physical players we have that also has some skill. He is a force in front of the net on the PP.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
When I see how Meier, Fiala, Nino, Hischier, Josi and Co currently are playing it even hurts more to not have this stacked Swiss team in Bejing next month.

Yes especially Meier and Josi have been among the best players in the League this year. And now as the alternative to best on best olympics the best we can hope for is another World Cup of hockey Team Europe as a gimmick. And our guys can't even decline because it would hurt this stupid excuse of a tournament.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Yeah, the more I check the news in the morning the more annoyed I get at seeing them piling up points, and today was definitely the worst I've felt about it :help:

We still have a good chance they get out of playoffs early, but still, not seeing them next month hurts.

Jon Riley

May 2, 2015
Oslo
Netminders (3): Reto Berra (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Leonardo Genoni (EV Zug), Joren van Pottelberghe (EHC Biel)
Defensemen (8): Santeri Alatalo (HC Lugano), Raphael Diaz (Fribourg-Gottéron), Michael Fora (HC Ambri-Piotta), Romain Loeffel (HC Lugano), Christian Marti (ZSC Lions), Mirco Müller (HC Lugano), Ramon Untersander (SC Bern), Yannick Weber (ZSC Lions).
Forwards (14): Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Sven Andrighetto (ZSC Lions), Christoph Bertschy (Lausanne HC), Enzo Corvi (HC Davos), Gaëtan Haas (EHC Biel), Fabrice Herzog (EV Zug), Grégory Hofmann (EV Zug), Denis Hollenstein (ZSC Lions), Denis Malgin (ZSC Lions), Simon Moser (SC Bern), Killian Mottet (Fribourg-Gottéron), Sven Senteler (EV Zug), Dario Simion (EV Zug), Joël Vermin (Genève-Servette HC).

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
Netminders (3): Reto Berra (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Leonardo Genoni (EV Zug), Joren van Pottelberghe (EHC Biel)
Defensemen (8): Santeri Alatalo (HC Lugano), Raphael Diaz (Fribourg-Gottéron), Michael Fora (HC Ambri-Piotta), Romain Loeffel (HC Lugano), Christian Marti (ZSC Lions), Mirco Müller (HC Lugano), Ramon Untersander (SC Bern), Yannick Weber (ZSC Lions).
Forwards (14): Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Sven Andrighetto (ZSC Lions), Christoph Bertschy (Lausanne HC), Enzo Corvi (HC Davos), Gaëtan Haas (EHC Biel), Fabrice Herzog (EV Zug), Grégory Hofmann (EV Zug), Denis Hollenstein (ZSC Lions), Denis Malgin (ZSC Lions), Simon Moser (SC Bern), Killian Mottet (Fribourg-Gottéron), Sven Senteler (EV Zug), Dario Simion (EV Zug), Joël Vermin (Genève-Servette HC).
Wasn't expecting to see Senteler, but good for him I guess. Aeschlimann would've been an option too for a goaltending spot in my opinion. Other than that, no surprising choices.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Wasn't expecting to see Senteler, but good for him I guess. Aeschlimann would've been an option too for a goaltending spot in my opinion. Other than that, no surprising choices.
I was also hoping to see Aeschlimann considering his ridiculous save percentage this season. Then again, Switzerland had many great goalies to choose from.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland

I would say that Fora over Frick is a bit surprising, he hasn't been great for the last two seasons. I would have though Heldner would be picked over Marti too after his good tournament last year.

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
I would say that Fora over Frick is a bit surprising, he hasn't been great for the last two seasons. I would have though Heldner would be picked over Marti too after his good tournament last year.
I probably have a little bit of a homer bias towards Marti, but yes, Heldner would've been reasonable as well.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hollenstein, the veteran, made it. Maybe they choosed the wrong veteran. Im thinking about Brunner.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Gold isn't out of the question... beauty looking roster. Added bonus.. I think your goalies are the same you would've brought to a best on best.

Shawn Heins 44

Sep 22, 2012
Zurich
I like the roster, really happy for Mottet, so deserved. He might have a tough time with the international physical style but he really forced Fischers hand, he was that good the last 2 years.
I would have taken C. Baltisperger over a few guys but I can also understand why he was not chosen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad