Olympics: Team Switzerland 2022

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Last best on best 2014 was quite a dissapointment after rocking 2010 in Vancouver.

Roster prediction, without actual lines:

Goalkeepers:
Genoni
Berra
One out of Nyffeler, Senn, Descloux

Defence:
Josi
Kukan
Siegenthaler
Müller
Moser
Diaz (Probably one last time)
are set for me.
Untersander, Alatalo, Geisser, maybe Loeffel for the last spot. And probably there is some dark-horse around

Forwards:
Hischier
Niederreiter
Hofmann
Suter
Fiala
Meier
Andrighetto
Ambühl
Bertschy
Corvi
Haas
Scherwey

Did I miss someone? Simon Moser could have a shot. Kurashev? Vermin? And there quite probably will be a dark-horse around who has a great season (like Simion last year)

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I would say this looks pretty spot on even though with the NLA players there is always the possibility of some changes depending on season form. I think Kurashev probably makes the team, especially since probably one two locks will not be able to attend beacause of injuries (or covid). I also feel like Diaz' time has passed so I would prefer Geisser on the roster over him. Ambühl also has to start declining sometime, but if its not this year he should be on the roster.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
What about Simon Knak? At the last World Juniors, he looked promising.

I am pretty sure he will be a mainstay in the nationalteam in the near future but I think playing in a best on best tornament against NHLers would be early for him this season.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
Last best on best 2014 was quite a dissapointment after rocking 2010 in Vancouver.

Well, as much as I would like seeing good performances from Swiss team, I will gladly take another dissapointing tournament if that means canada will stay without gold, as much as I like Switzerland I even more hate and despise canada. :)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Diaz is an edge-case, indeed. But he always played his best hockey when Josi was there, too. So he didn't have that pressure of being the leader.
And altough he's declining he's still an important piece, also probably off-ice, which is also important if you want to be successful.

I agree on Knak, no way he makes the roster if everyone is available.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
pretty much agree with that choice. I also think too early for Knak he wouldn't be an upgrade to anybody mentioned. I liked what I saw from Thürkauf even if it was pre season (that's what CHL is for most teams..), I still hope that Sven Bärtschi could make the team in Vegas or if he scores PPG in AHL then I would probably give him a shot. Unsure about Fazzini on international level (best on best) but against Skellefteå he was quite promising

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I always liked Thürkauf, he plays with a lot of heart, but if he wants to have a shot he needs to push his scoring numbers. But he could be one of these darkhorses.

Bärtschi is always a name, of course. But who would he replace? Ambühl? Scherwey? I guess he'd need some injuries of the other NHL-wings to get a spot.

filip85

Feb 7, 2017
I see no Malgin in OP. Is he already fell off that big so he doesn't even get invited ? :)

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Hell, yes, I forgot Malgin. He'd get consideration, of course, but finding a place for him in the line-combination would be a tough spot. Hischier, Corvi, Haas and Bertschy would be my 4 centers right now.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Goalkeepers:
Genoni
Berra

Defence:
Josi
Kukan
Siegenthaler
Müller
Moser
are set for me.
Untersander, Alatalo, Geisser, maybe Loeffel for the last spot. And probably there is some dark-horse around

Forwards:
Hischier
Niederreiter
Hofmann
Suter
Fiala
Meier
Andrighetto
Ambühl
Bertschy
Corvi
Haas
Scherwey

Did I miss someone? Simon Moser could have a shot. Kurashev? Vermin? And there quite probably will be a dark-horse around who has a great season (like Simion last year)

Maybe, from our beautiful land o' the south, Fazzini? If he continues on the same wavelength as in the Champions League where, last I checked, he was the overall leading scorer with 6 points in 3 games.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Fazzinis main concern is still his skating, altough he made progress. Without NHL-wingers, no question, he'd be an option. But if you have Nino, Fiala, Hofmann and Meier for your Top-6, Fazzini is in a tough spot.
He may be able to play his first WC next spring, I guess.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018

Goalkeepers:
Genoni
Berra

Defence:
Josi
Kukan
Siegenthaler
Müller
Moser
are set for me.

Forwards:
Hischier
Niederreiter
Hofmann
Suter
Fiala
Meier
Andrighetto
Ambühl
Bertschy
Corvi
Haas
Scherwey

I want to say this is the best roster the Swiss have ever had. Am I close?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Probably yes, altough Hiller 2010 and Gerber/Aebischer 2006 were probably better than Genoni/Berra and also the Defence is not better than 2014.
But yeah, we never had a group of such good and skilled forwards.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
I want to say this is the best roster the Swiss have ever had. Am I close?
I agree, especially the top6 is pretty strong and you can play with 12 forwards who are competitive in best on best. An extremely unpleasant opponent for every contender, since large parts of the fanbase, especially in north america, still assume that an easy win against Switzerland is a must. It's just the way it always is, they can disappoint or cause very nasty surprises for the powerhouses

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I agree with most of what's been said, I can't see a newcomer making it apart from Descloux who I think is the front runner for the 3rd goalie spot. Thürkauf has potential, but I think he's two seasons away from playing in a tournament. Knak probably 3 or 4.

On defense, one player who I think is not a lock yet is Siegenthaler. He was a no brainer last June when not all players were available, but the way Geisser played at the WC I'd have him ahead of both Siegenthaler and Müller. I could see a Josi, Kukan, Diaz, Müller, Alatalo, Geisser, Untersander, Moser defense for example. I think it's 9 players for 8 spots.

At forward, it will depends a lot on who's in the best shape in January and February. Also, don't forget that 14 fowards will make it, so guys like Bertschy, Vermin and Ambühl who can play both center and wing, and both in an offensive and defensive role, could take one of the last two spots even if they're not in the top 12 forwards.

I can see a top 6 with Hofmann-Corvi-Niederreiter and Fiala-Hischier-Meier. Corvi and Niederreiter had the best chemistry I remember seeing in the national team in a long time, and Corvi and Hofmann clicked well last season. Hischer-Fiala was a good pair in 2019, and putting Meier there make sense. Hischer and Meier created some good stuff at the 2021 WC too.

Then there are many possiblities. Fischer played Scherwey, Haas and Andrighetto together many times, Bertschy showed good things centering the 4th line with several different players (Scherwey, Rod, Herzog, Ambühl), Suter-Malgin-Ambühl was a thing in 2017, Moser-Suter-Ambühl was the best line at the last Olympics... With so many possible combinations I expect whoever plays the best hockey at the right time to get a call, I think Fischer can work out a lineup with anyone.

Then there will be injuries anyway, so it's impossible to predict.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
My guess is:

Meier-Hischier-Fiala
Hofmann-Suter-Niederreiter
Andrighetto-Kurashev-Baertschi
Malgin-Haas-Corvi
Bertschy

Josi-Weber
Kukan-Siegenthaler
Mueller-Diaz
Sbisa

Genoni
Berra

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
On defense, one player who I think is not a lock yet is Siegenthaler. He was a no brainer last June when not all players were available, but the way Geisser played at the WC I'd have him ahead of both Siegenthaler and Müller. I could see a Josi, Kukan, Diaz, Müller, Alatalo, Geisser, Untersander, Moser defense for example. I think it's 9 players for 8 spots.

I completely forgot about Weber for some reason. Make that 10 defenders for 8 spots then.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Seems like this Swiss team are the inverse of previous editions.

Weak goaltending, slightly worse defence than previous editions, but very strong forward group, which could be even stronger than some are predicting depending on if the young guys take steps in their development before February.

Wonder if this affects their strategy at all, or if the coaches will revert to their standard clogging up the ice defensive game plan.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
How is this goaltending weak, Genoni and Berra keep performing year after year, they haven't slowed down yet.

And how is Fischer's game plan defensive? If anything he needs to be held back by Albelin.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
How is this goaltending weak, Genoni and Berra keep performing year after year, they haven't slowed down yet.

And how is Fischer's game plan defensive? If anything he needs to be held back by Albelin.

Berra even at his peak was more of an AHL goalie than an NHL one, and his numbers have declined even over the last couple of seasons.

Genoni is a career Swiss league goalie, not an Olympic level player by any means.

Compare this to goaltending of many of the other teams and the Swiss are significantly behind. When you look back to the days of Hiller in net, the current goaltending is quite weak by comparison.

swissdude

May 18, 2019
Berra even at his peak was more of an AHL goalie than an NHL one, and his numbers have declined even over the last couple of seasons.

Genoni is a career Swiss league goalie, not an Olympic level player by any means.

Compare this to goaltending of many of the other teams and the Swiss are significantly behind. When you look back to the days of Hiller in net, the current goaltending is quite weak by comparison.
If you really think that Hiller at his prime was that much better than Genoni just because he played in the NHL you really have no clue

filip85

Feb 7, 2017

:laugh::help:
baby-facepalm.gif

He is "a career Swiss league goalie" because he will earn close to 5 milion euros for five seasons in Zug, living in one of the most beautiful countries in the world, sleeping in his bed after every road game and playing high level of hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad