WC: Team Sweden roster 2022

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Still don't understand how Nordström was voted top three player on the team. Can't feel good for Asplund and Dahlin sharing that "honor".

EDIT: My top three are Peterson, Nylander, OEL/Adam Larsson. How would you have chosen?
Dahlin, Nylander, Asplund.

THE JAM

Jan 16, 2015
EU
Team Canada appreciates your picks: Dahlin, Nylander gave team Canada the chance to reach the final game again :D

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Oh boy. Here comes Martin Lundberg and Manuel Ågren.

Åman and Lang. They where good in litterly every shift in the entire tournament.
Lang is fair. Åman didn't contribute enough with things other than hard work and winning duels, which he was great at. Lang was great in every aspect.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013

"Vi ska sätta en egen liten prägel på det. Jag gillar sättet Tre Kronor har spelat på i år. Det var varit ett vägvinnande tajt spel. Det handlar inte om att det kommer att vara ett stort förändringsarbete, vi ska förädla och förändra lite nyanser här och där. "
That was a sub-headline but reading the actual article that wasn’t exactly my takeaway. He did what he always does applied diplomacy.

Still don't understand how Nordström was voted top three player on the team. Can't feel good for Asplund and Dahlin sharing that "honor".

EDIT: My top three are Peterson, Nylander, OEL/Adam Larsson. How would you have chosen?
OEL

Grand Canyon

Asplund
Lang/Dahlin/Åman

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
The thing that makes no sense at all is that the guy that went ppg, extremely small sample size but Nucks pp looked great in those games, when playing PP1 when Hughes was out / not playing did not receive a single second of PP time as point man. Despite the PP struggling all tournament except against Norway (Nylander).

Seems like the coaches didn't watch any game with OEL this season and purely based it on the garbage written online regarding his previous recent seasons. Garpenlöv if any, given his sad experience this year with his parents, should have understood why those seasons were not much to rely upon.

EDIT: He even made Tyler friggin Meyers look like a respectable top 4 D most of the season. 😂

Last edited:

Dala

Mar 1, 2006
Not sure he even looked that bad against Canada to be honest, actually the best D in that game. Most consistent zone exits. Goals against were Erik Gustafsson shielding the Goalie on one goal and then weird bounce in PK/no Goalie.

Did look like shit on those few seconds of PP2 time playing as a forward. Totally agree with that.

Last edited:

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Hopefully Hallam had a good report with Elias Pettersson when he was with Växjö, so that Pettersson will be regular 'yes man' when available.

This years team would've looked so much better if we had gotten yes from Pettersson and Raymond

Reactions: Dala

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Hopefully, next season we will be back to 'normal scheduling' so that first round exits will be available from the start and even possible to add second round exits.

Sweden hasn't advanced to the semi-finals since 2018, that is not acceptable. Hopefully Hallam will bring som fresh ideas to the team

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
It bothers me that some swedish msm hockey journalists thinks that if you fail to bring home a medal from the annual Skoda Cup, the state of hockey in Sweden is suddenly bad. They dont really follow junior hockey, player development, nhl etc.

Reactions: FinPanda and AB13

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
It bothers me that some swedish msm hockey journalists thinks that if you fail to bring home a medal from the annual Skoda Cup, the state of hockey in Sweden is suddenly bad. They dont really follow junior hockey, player development, nhl etc.
This is why it is paramount to put consideration and thought into who you hire as the mens senior coach, because it carries far more weight than any other swedish hockey team. You don’t hire your boy just because he’s a nice guy I.E Garpenlöv.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elias40 and Dala

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Its always the case with media. If Finland doesn't do well, its the sane thing.

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Yes, but we shouldn't underestimate the importance of the IHWC for bringing new fans/kids into the game. It was watching these tournaments that got me hooked on hockey when I was a kid, and I don't think I am alone in that.

Reactions: anfieldo and Dala

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
After Zetterberg retired, we have not had a clear 1st choice captain in the national team, but OEL is the closest we've come. He has played seven Worlds now, and been captain both 2019 and 2022. Who would be the other candidates? Landeskog? Maybe Bäckström if he plays again? Hedman?

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
After Zetterberg retired, we have not had a clear 1st choice captain in the national team, but OEL is the closest we've come. He has played seven Worlds now, and been captain both 2019 and 2022. Who would be the other candidates? Landeskog? Maybe Bäckström if he plays again? Hedman?
Landeskog is the man. One of the best captains in NHL.

Reactions: EK47

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Landeskog, Hedman, Karlsson are the obvious other choices.

In a best on best I’d go with
Landeskog C
OEL A
Karlsson A

weklof

Jan 30, 2009
Solna, Sweden
Yeah, Landeskog seems like an obvious choice. He has yet to captain Team Sweden though, he was assistants at the 2014 Olympic and 2017 Worlds.

I'd probably go
C - Landeskog
A - OEL
A - Bäckström (if he plays) otherwise Hedman

Just for the fun of it, I went through all the leadership groups since Zetterberg played his last tournament

2014 Olympics
C - Niklas Kronwall *promoted to captain when Zetterberg withdrew
A - Daniel Alfredsson
A - Gabriel Landeskog

2014 Worlds
C - Joel Lundqvist
A - Mikael Backlund
A - Jimmie Ericsson

2015 Worlds
C - Staffan Kronwall
A - Joel Lundqvist
A - Jimmie Ericsson

2016 Worlds
C - Jimmie Ericsson
A - Mikael Backlund
A - Erik Gustafsson

2017 Worlds
C - Joel Lundqvist
A - Victor Hedman
A - Gabriel Landeskog

2018 Olympics
C - Joel Lundqvist
A - Staffan Kronwall
A - Erik Gustafsson

2018 Worlds
C - Mikael Backlund
A - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
A - John Klingberg

2019 Worlds
C - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
A - Mattias Ekholm
A - Patric Hörnqvist

2021 Worlds
C - Henrik Tömmernes
A - Rickard Rakell
A - Klas Dahlbeck

2022 Olympics
C - Anton Lander
A - Henrik Tömmernes
A - Marcus Krüger

2022 Worlds
C - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
A - Adam Larsson
A - Joakim Nordström

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Klingberg or Ekholm could also be considered, right?
Not impossible but Landeskog, OEL, Karlsson stand out to me because they are all either former or current NHL captains.

Yeah, Landeskog seems like an obvious choice. He has yet to captain Team Sweden though, he was assistants at the 2014 Olympic and 2017 Worlds.

I'd probably go
C - Landeskog
A - OEL
A - Bäckström (if he plays) otherwise Hedman

Just for the fun of it, I went through all the leadership groups since Zetterberg played his last tournament

2014 Olympics
C - Niklas Kronwall *promoted to captain when Zetterberg withdrew
A - Daniel Alfredsson
A - Gabriel Landeskog

2014 Worlds
C - Joel Lundqvist
A - Mikael Backlund
A - Jimmie Ericsson

2015 Worlds
C - Staffan Kronwall
A - Joel Lundqvist
A - Jimmie Ericsson

2016 Worlds
C - Jimmie Ericsson
A - Mikael Backlund
A - Erik Gustafsson

2017 Worlds
C - Joel Lundqvist
A - Victor Hedman
A - Gabriel Landeskog

2018 Olympics
C - Joel Lundqvist
A - Staffan Kronwall
A - Erik Gustafsson

2018 Worlds
C - Mikael Backlund
A - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
A - John Klingberg

2019 Worlds
C - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
A - Mattias Ekholm
A - Patric Hörnqvist

2021 Worlds
C - Henrik Tömmernes
A - Rickard Rakell
A - Klas Dahlbeck

2022 Olympics
C - Anton Lander
A - Henrik Tömmernes
A - Marcus Krüger

2022 Worlds
C - Oliver Ekman-Larsson
A - Adam Larsson
A - Joakim Nordström
As a captain Karlsson dragged a terrible sens team kicking and screaming to the conference finals in 2017. Hedman has been great in the playoffs too, but Karlsson in my mind is more of a captain.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad