WC: Team Sweden Pt 2

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
OEL played by far his best game today. Hopefully Brodin can step up his game tomorrow and we have two really good defensive pairs. Love Klingberg at times but him and Edler are a bit suspect defensively.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
When you consider our second best forward has half the points of Nylander that kinda tells you everything. He's been the only constant factor throughout the tournament.

Biggest disappointment on the team when it comes to production is Hedman by far. Him and Strålman have been very solid defensively obviously but he's been playing conservative hockey and overall not been very visible at all. Would be perfect if he could have his big offensive game in the final.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
When you consider our second best forward has half the points of Nylander that kinda tells you everything. He's been the only constant factor throughout the tournament.

Biggest disappointment on the team when it comes to production is Hedman by far. Him and Strålman have been very solid defensively obviously but he's been playing conservative hockey and overall not been very visible at all. Would be perfect if he could have his big offensive game in the final.

Hedman had a ridiculously productive season but I have never viewed him as someone who generates a ton of offense. I think he benefits greatly from how Tampa uses him, especially on the PP. It's really hard to believe he scored over 70 points in the NHL this season when you see him play here.

TeslaCoilFan

Slightly Elite Fan
Mar 17, 2017
West of the Moon

As a Lightning fan who favorite players are Hedman and Strålman, I share your concern about Hedman's performance in this tournament. :(

Heddy started out pretty aggressive, ie. normal, through the first matches, getting a goal and two assists (one of them on the PP) while Stråls racked up 4 assists (2 on the PP). Then both of them went stone cold point wise while their defensive game remained strong. This started happening before Hedman got his facial injury so it's not that. Is the Swedish defense coach the type who doesn't care for offensive defensemen or something?

But it's good to remember that Heddy did get a good amount of his career high 72 points this season while on the PP so maybe it's something about how he's utilized on the Swedish PP which, quite frankly, has sucked until these last couple games?

Let's hope he's just saving his top performance for the Final game tomorrow. :D

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
OEL played by far his best game today. Hopefully Brodin can step up his game tomorrow and we have two really good defensive pairs. Love Klingberg at times but him and Edler are a bit suspect defensively.

Yeah a lot better defensive effort by OEL, lets hope he keep that up.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden

Blame Grönborg for giving him a different role.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
:amazed:

How ever could I have doubted him? :sarcasm:

Please tell me he doesn't also coach the PP?? :facepalm:

No the pp is on either Garpenlöv or Woodcroft. But yeah Popovic was the defensive coach under Mårts aswell, he needs to be let go there has to be someone who is better suited for the kind of defensemen Sweden has, or there at least needs to be another voice to be heard regarding the D

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

Heh, remember in his draft+1 year when Nylander was putting up historic numbers in the SHL, and nearly everybody on HFBoards who isn't a Leafs fan was trying to downplay his success? They claimed the SHL was way weaker than it used to be, that it didn't mean much because he'd already played pro, that he wouldn't translate to the smaller ice as well as all the *other* great Swedish players, yada yada.

This board's collective reputation when it comes to anything negative about players like Nylander has been absolutely demolished this past season. It is hilarious, for the next few years Nylander is going to be untouchable around here simply because it will be impossible to critique him without pointing out how utterly wrong this community was before.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Heh, remember in his draft+1 year when Nylander was putting up historic numbers in the SHL, and nearly everybody on HFBoards who isn't a Leafs fan was trying to downplay his success? They claimed the SHL was way weaker than it used to be, that it didn't mean much because he'd already played pro, that he wouldn't translate to the smaller ice as well as all the *other* great Swedish players, yada yada.

This board's collective reputation when it comes to anything negative about players like Nylander has been absolutely demolished this past season. It is hilarious, for the next few years Nylander is going to be untouchable around here simply because it will be impossible to critique him without pointing out how utterly wrong this community was before.

In general the Non-Leafs fans on HF have been the most consistently incorrect (sometimes laughably so) when it comes to assessing and projecting this new wave of Leafs talent. Not a big deal except that they also get emotional and upset when you point out how wrong they are (or have been).

So much time and effort spent slamming these kids and then crying about being called out on that. It's just sad :(

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Bäckström was amazing tonight. He's vision and playmaking is off the charts. Just absolute delight to watch.

Yep, and Nylander is so brilliant too - this team is a pleasure to watch. Too bad we missed so many of our best players...

LiveeviL

No unique points
Jan 5, 2009
Sweden

OEL played well, being a bit below expectations a couple of games. Hedman on the other hand has underperformed too, for what I expected from him (still being better than OEL). Brodin has not stood out, which actually can be a good thing. But all our D has underperformed, it is a coaching problem.

Edler and Klingberg are a bit suspect defensively both of them, yes. Klingberg being a bit more offensive than he can handle at times and Edler a bit to passive around the crease (not a coaching problem any of the two problems though). Edler has been a lot better than what we have seen in Vancouver, a team which have a coaching problem of their own regarding the D. Edler and Strålman are those two who have done better than expected so far.

But the D is so unphysical, the opposition can go on raids right up he crease all to often. This quality D should not allow that.

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Honestly, the worst offenders of the anti-nylander agenda are swedish non-leaf fans. If I was Swedish I would be really happy/proud that we had such a great young star representing my country. I read some of these garbage comments like "nylander's board play is weak" or trash such as "his posture on the bench isn't good, it looks like hes not engaged"....... cut the bs, nylander is one of the best Swedish hockey players you guys have ever had, and its just about time for you people to start embracing that. It shouldn't matter if hes on the leafs or not, the guy is a star player and has literally dominated at every level he has played at. I swear to god its like some of you want to turn him into another soderberg. I am truly embarrassed for you.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Mikeyg: We never had a anti-nylander agenda in Sweden, not sure about what's going on in Canada though, what are you referring too?

William is a true celebrated star in Sweden now and Leafs is a popular team too because of our legends Salming and Sundin playing for Toronto many years. It's fun witnessing the raise of the Leafs and it may be a cup winning team pretty soon. Extremely frustrating that neither Salming and Sundin won a cup... it hurts and this fact may have caused some frustrations in Sweden vs the Leafs with me being one of them.

Personally I follow my favorite Swedish players in the NHL but I care less about the actual teams. It's fun with classical teams like the Oilers and Leafs finally starting to look good again.

People in Sweden not liking William or questioning his talent was very, very rare before WC and is probably super rare now. Only question mark for me was his strength and the physical aspects of the game but it looks like William is working really hard during the off-seasons and looking better year after year. Considering his age he is simply great.

The funniest thing about the young Nylanders though is that little brother Alexander may very well turning out being the best one in the long run, looking extremely promising. Only negative so far is his last poor season in AHL but the entire Rochester team played terrible. It will be fun when both the Nylanders are playing for Sweden.

Alex Nylander
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mj-DEqm9cE

Alex is slightly taller/bigger and arguably have a harder shot than William at the same age. Alex is looking a bit more like a true sniper though and could be a more selfish type of player comparing to William, we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Who will likely get MVP if Sweden wins?

Depending on the last game probably, one of Nylander or Bäckström firsthand, Hedman or Lundqvist otherwise. All defense is plus 7 so maybe they are doing something right, or being on the ice equally as Bäckström and Nylander circulate and pass the puck.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Yep, and Nylander is so brilliant too - this team is a pleasure to watch. Too bad we missed so many of our best players...

So did we, these among others:

Alexander Steen - Alexander Wennberg - Jakob Silfverberg
Daniel Sedin - Henrik Sedin - Filip Forsberg
Marcus Johansson - Mikael Backlund - Rickard Rakell
Henrik Zetterberg - Mika Zibanejad - Gustav Nyquist
Carl Hagelin - Patrik Berglund - Patric Hörnqvist

Hampus Lindholm - Erik Karlsson
Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson
Mattias Ekholm - Niklas Hjalmarsson
Niklas Kronwall

Robin Lehner
Jacob Markström