Team Russia WJC Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Ovechkin is tied for 6th in scoring in a league that is full of NHLers, unbelievable that he will go help Russia at the WJCs. their team is strong up front and their weakness will be their defense, judging by how many they brought out to try out, if the drive is there they can go far with the talent that they have.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
goteam, love the Mr. Incredible avatar!

The thought of a Phaneuf-Ovechkin collision is pretty scary. Talk about force meeting force.

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Senator Stanley said:
This isn't the final roster. Maybe this is the guys in the running, but there are to many players on that list. So when will this team be finalised? I am anxious to see if Lyamin and Nikulan made it.
I've read at rian.ru (Russian information agency) that Roster will be announced December 17 or earlier but not late.

wilka91 said:
Well Russia didn't impress much on paper in 2002 and 2003 ...
What? Team Russia for WJC 2003 was one of the best U-20 team I've ever seen.
Grebeshkov, Tyutin, Kondratiev, Korneev and Koltsov as defensemen + Ovechkin, Shishkanov, Polushin, Grigorenko, Perezhogin and Trubachev as forwards. Kaigorodov and Pestunov were one of the weakest links of that team + Nikolai "El Magnifico" Zherdev ;) was in doghouse.

Team Russia for WJC 2002 also was good, but not so good as 2003 team, Imho:
D-men: Grebeshkov, Tyutin, Kondatiev and Volchenkov + Knyazev.
F: Suglobov, Soin, Frolov, Trubachev, Polushin, Svitov, Grigorenko, Perezhogin, Chistov.
If WJC 2002 and 2003 teams weren't good on paper that I don't know what U-20 team you can name as good.

PS Don't name USSR WJC Teams ;)

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Kaizer said:
I've read at rian.ru (Russian information agency) that Roster will be announced December 17 or earlier but not late.

What? Team Russia for WJC 2003 was one of the best U-20 team I've ever seen.
Grebeshkov, Tyutin, Kondratiev, Korneev and Koltsov as defensemen + Ovechkin, Shishkanov, Polushin, Grigorenko, Perezhogin and Trubachev as forwards. Kaigorodov and Pestunov were one of the weakest links of that team + Nikolai "El Magnifico" Zherdev ;) was in doghouse.

Team Russia for WJC 2002 also was good, but not so good as 2003 team, Imho:
D-men: Grebeshkov, Tyutin, Kondatiev and Volchenkov + Knyazev.
F: Suglobov, Soin, Frolov, Trubachev, Polushin, Svitov, Grigorenko, Perezhogin, Chistov.
If WJC 2002 and 2003 teams weren't good on paper that I don't know what U-20 team you can name as good.

PS Don't name USSR WJC Teams ;)

I agree, I remember watching 2003 Russia and thinking that was one of the best junior teams I'd ever seen.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
X-SHARKIE said:
BTW. This QMJHL stuff is an outrage! First Bernier is left off from Canada, Hennessy from America, and now Radulov not going for Russia?

This is nuts. I watch the Q almost every friday and it's great hockey.

Don't worry. Radulov not making it is not a slight on the Q. He would have been ignored even if he played in the OHL or WHL. It's simply political. It's more about where he isn't playing than where he is playing.

For all the controversy surrounding Canada sometimes, Russia is way more political, IMO. They often pull a headscratcher or two when making selections.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Vlad The Impaler said:
For all the controversy surrounding Canada sometimes, Russia is way more political, IMO. They often pull a headscratcher or two when making selections.

You know something's up when Fedorov, Mogilny and Zherdev are left off the World Cup team

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
kmad said:
You know something's up when Fedorov, Mogilny and Zherdev are left off the World Cup team

We'll have to wait a few years before this is fixed. Larionov or Kasatonov or Tretyak will take over the Federation, and then we'll finally start to see some changes.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
What are the odds of Yunkov making the squad? And how did he end up looking in the last few games of the Russia/Canada challenge thing?

I know he's got a ways to get development wise, but I think he could be an interesting wildcard for the Caps down the road.

And the Russian team's fate is going to be held in the hands of Ovechkin, Malkin, and basically whoever is playing goalie for them. They have talent yes, but those three must be on their games for the whole thing.

Lord

Well, i don't know what that preliminary roster means but head-coach Sergey Gersonsky already said that Yunkov line (Voloshenko-Yunkov-Radulov) is locked for WJC. No Tesliuk and Radulov mentioned because they will join the squad already in NA though i am not sure about Tesliuk chances to make the team.
Who will be included?
In my opinion based on these guys performances this season so far and some other news
Malkin, Ovechkin, Parshin are 100 %
Yunkov, Radulov, Voloshenko, Nikulin, Pestunov, Lisin, Pervyshin, Vorobiev, Rylov, Khudobin (he is on my avatar BTW) are 99.99 % ;) Just look at our roster and think that we could have three great lines on this WJC. Amazing!
Lyamin? I doubt about him, he made a great step back in his development this season though it is not only his fault. Not big chance here.

Vpered, Rossia, my s toboi !

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
RussianProspects.com (w/Eugene Belashchenko) released their predictions for the WJC roster over the past week or so....seems pretty dead on. What do you guys think? (LORD, you might have a thing or two to say about it!).

leafaholix*

What are the chances of these guys making it... who has the better shot at a roster spot?

Dimtri Vorobyev, Kirill Lyamin, Alexei Yemelin.

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
I'd say Vorobiev is a lock for the team.

Lyamin and Yemelin should get invited to camp, but shouldn't make the team. Both talented, but Lyamin did not look very good at Canada Challenge, and Emelin isn't ahead of many other guys yet in the pecking order....

Glazachev is currently with Sibir Novosibirsk - check out the Super League recaps on RP - http://www.russianprospects.com/public/league_page.php?tour_id=2005011 they include lineups - you can see where he is playing!

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
European teams tend not to select many players playing in Canada. I know the Czechs are very big on this. They would rather have players play for them that play in their own leagues rather than select better ones playing in Canada.

Lord

Soyuz said:
RussianProspects.com (w/Eugene Belashchenko) released their predictions for the WJC roster over the past week or so....seems pretty dead on. What do you guys think? (LORD, you might have a thing or two to say about it!).
Well, i think its a good and rather deep analysis though i am not sure Glazachev would play on the second line. Actually i think Voloshenko-Yunkov-Radulov will be our second scoring line.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Lord said:
Well, i think its a good and rather deep analysis though i am not sure Glazachev would play on the second line. Actually i think Voloshenko-Yunkov-Radulov will be our second scoring line.

So you're under the impression Radulov WILL dress for Russia this year? Good to hear...I guess.

MePutPuckInNet

Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
I really really REALLY would appreciate any info on G. Misharin. He was playing in the OHL for the Saginaw Spirit, but somehow got trapped in Russia over the past summer. Will he be back in the OHL this season? Does anyone know or has anyone heard ANYTHING at all???? When is the Russian team finalized?

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
You think he was trapped? I think he may have simply got a money based offer over there and got tired of living on 50 bucks a week without an NHL contract. I don't believe he was signed by Minnesota. BTW - if they don't sign him this summer, he will be back in the draft, as he spent two seasons in NA......

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
BTW, yesterday Khudobin played 50 minutes in Metallurg Mg @ Lokomotiv game. He changed Malkov at the 10th minute of the 1st period. Lokomotiv led 2:0 at that moment. Khudobin was excellent. It was the first time I've seen this guy. He helped his team to make 3:2 comeback and was named 1st star of the game.

My prediction for WJC team:

Ovechkin - Malkin – Parshin Two future superstars and franchise players who built like tanks with excellent "set up" player
Radulov - Yun'kov - Voloshenko "It's all about chemistry" line
Lisin - Pestunov - Ogorordnikov/Makarov Extremely fast and skilled Lisin who has locked spot in "AkBars All Stars" with very experienced two-way center as Pestunov (It's his 3rd WJC).
Glazachev - A. Nikulin - Shafigulin Defensive line. A. Nikulin is positional monster that plays between Frolov and Zherdev in RSL + combo of Lokomotiv players with good chemistry.
Makarov/Ogorodnikov

Pervyshin - Rylov Just our best
Vorobiev - Panin Both from "Lada". Both have spots in the best defensive minded team in RSL + Chemistry.
Megalinsky - Misharin Big, tough guys
Belov

Khudobin – You’ve seen him at ReMax. You know his performance and abilities.
Kuznetsov

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad