WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
This team is so weird. They can beat anyone and lose to anyone. Feels like another QF exit. I almost don't want to win the group as it would be a massive disappointment to lose against France/Switzerland/Slovakia.
They will get it done vs those countries in the elimination games. Might be a good thing they lost a couple of matches vs teams that aren't as good on paper, the players saw that they need to show up and play 100% regardless of the opposition.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
And Tolvanen even said in the interview: "when we scored 1-0 early on, we thought it would be an easy game and kinda let off the gas a bit"... yeah, you can't win these games like that. The match was a good learning lesson, if I remember correctly the gold winning team in 2011 had a much rougher start.

Reactions: LAINEC

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
how would best possible team finland look like right now?

my stab on it :

Laine - Barkov - Rantanen
Mikael Granlund - Aho - Teräväinen
Haula - Koivu - Donskoi
Kapanen - Filppula - Armia

Määttä - Ristolainen
Lindell - Vatanen
Lepistö - Nutivaara

Raanta
Rinne
Saros
Something like that. Personally I'd put Haula centering Teräväinen and Aho: he would do the dirty work on that line while the two do their thing. Granlund, Koivu and Donskoi would be a great third line. I like that you have Raanta as a starter, but in real life he would be a 3rd goalie behind Rinne and Rask (reputation being a main reason). Also I would probably try to find Heiskanen a role, although I admit my crush on him as a player might be slightly blinding in this case :laugh:.

Last edited:

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
Tomorrow is the day.

The day for the Finland boys to get into The Box(-ring) in Herning and meet up with the groups heavyweight team - U.S.A.

That'll be a battle. For sure.

But I think Finland can shake up USA if they only use their speed - and float like a butterfly and sting like a bee as a team - so about time to shoot to kill: not just to thrill, Finland!

Kasperi Kapanen should play with the other speed-bullet Sakari Manninen on the other flank; of course then with Antti Suomela as a center (who isn't a slow-foot either) in the third-line tomorrow. Red hot Formula 1 speed in that line.

And tomorrow I wanna see a motley crew of hard workin' hungry young lions that can wash the sweat out of their lion's mane after the game with pure Finland tar-shampoo(!) for real men:

92754.970.jpg

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Yet it's the same US team that almost lost to Latvia a few days ago, and had to beat them in OT.

Finland can win this game if they play with the same tempo vs Canada. Skate hard, forecheck aggressively, block shots, and get good goaltending from H.S.

Finland 4 USA 3 in OT.

I don't see it, now when the goalkeeping (really this time) favors our opponent
also they have better roster and better coaching, super slim chance for us (even if anything can happen)

BTW that so called goalie Darling, played in that Latvia game.
so. not comparable.

Reactions: illone84

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
also they have better roster and better coaching, super slim chance for us (even if anything can happen)

so. not comparable.
We will find out tomorrow. But I don't think the chances are slim. Game can go either way, 50-50.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
We are either 1st or 4th in our group if Denmark beats Latvia and Canada beat Latvia & Germany on regulation. USA win in OT only helps if Canada manages to lose one point.

Latvia beating Denmark would be nice, but Denmark will play again team who has to play B2B, so not expecting Latvia to win them. I'll take them going to OT too if Danes lose.

Such a weird group.. It sucks that we played so bad against Germany & Denmark.. we would be a guaranteed top-2.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Would like to see

Rants-MG-Eeli
VMS-Aho-TT
Mäenalanen-Suomela-Kapanen
Jormakka-Pesonen-Anttila

Manninen is useless and takes too many penalties. At least Suomela wins some faceoffs.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We are either 1st or 4th in our group if Denmark beats Latvia and Canada beat Latvia & Germany on regulation. USA win in OT only helps if Canada manages to lose one point.

Latvia beating Denmark would be nice, but Denmark will play again team who has to play B2B, so not expecting Latvia to win them. I'll take them going to OT too if Danes lose.

Such a weird group.. It sucks that we played so bad against Germany & Denmark.. we would be a guaranteed top-2.

We can be 3rd if we get OT win vs USA. Finland 15 points then and Denmark can max reach 14 if they take 3 points from LAT.

Third period started in CAN-LAT and it's only 1-0 to CAN. LAT could steal a point or two here.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Its hard to count.. it happens. x)

Crazy group. Now that CAN lost a point vs LAT, any kind of win for Finland, OT or in regulation means that RUS & SWE are avoided. CZE in a playoff game is scary though so Finland better just beat USA on regulation tomorrow and get SUI or what ever ends up 4th in group A.

Reactions: FinPanda and LAINEC

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
We should probably hope that Latvia beats Denmark tomorrow. In the case of Finland finishing second in the group, I believe that Finland would have to travel to Copenhagen for the QF, because the host country gets the priority and gets to stay as long as they are in the QF round. That's at least how it was in some previous years.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
We should probably hope that Latvia beats Denmark tomorrow. In the case of Finland finishing second in the group, I believe that Finland would have to travel to Copenhagen for the QF because the host country gets the priority and gets to stay as long as they are in the QF round. That's at least how it was in some previous years.

I looked at the previous tournaments from the last 15 years and found two instances where the host country got to stay put even though they didn't finish in the TOP-2 in their group: Cologne 2017 and Prague 2015. Those were different from this year in that the host country played their group games in the city that also hosted the semi-finals and the final. Now Denmark would have to travel to Copenhagen at some point anyhow if they want to play for medals.

In 2010 Germany finished 3rd in the Cologne group. They had to travel to Mannheim for the QF and then back to Cologne for the semi-final and bronze medal game.

Then again, if it's Sweden vs. Denmark, playing in Herning might give Denmark more of a home-ice advantage than playing in Copenhagen, only a short train ride away from Malmö. I actually think Sweden is the most probable match-up for Denmark cause they are considered slight favorites against Russia right now but if Finland loses to the USA and Denmark takes an early lead against Latvia, I can easily see a situation where the Swedes aren't awfully eager to fight for the first place in their group tomorrow.

Last edited:

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Kapanen and Tolvanen swapped, Kapanen goes to third line.

I actually think Kapanen has been very good, especially in entering the zone he has been better than his linemates. But Tolvanen as a real sniper is a better fit with Granlund and Rantanen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koijari

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Kapanen and Tolvanen swapped, Kapanen goes to third line.

I actually think Kapanen has been very good, especially in entering the zone he has been better than his linemates. But Tolvanen as a real sniper is a better fit with Granlund and Rantanen.
Zone entries don’t mean that much if the play dies in your stick otherwise in the offensive zone. Kapanen has been bad in the 1st line and he has that weak hockey IQ that a team that has him in their 1st line is causing problems to themselves.

But who will play instead of Kapanen in this game? I assume that a player that just had an aneyrism can’t play in the game... :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

so. not comparable.
Yes the goalie seems to be really an advantage for the USA... Second awful goal already let in by Kinkaid... :laugh:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
The Kapanen-Tolvanen switch ended up being really good for Kapanen, he really shined this game.
Doesnt have to play with Rantanen, who seems to be pretty arrogant as a player, at least for Kappy. Rantanen doesnt like defence, and the most, he isnt guy that would make up for your mistake and have your back. I think Kappys and Rantanens play looked like they wont be there for each other if one makes mistake.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Doesnt have to play with Rantanen, who seems to be pretty arrogant as a player, at least for Kappy. Rantanen doesnt like defence, and the most, he isnt guy that would make up for your mistake and have your back. I think Kappys and Rantanens play looked like they wont be there for each other if one makes mistake.
Strange that they have been put to the same line so much. Zero chemistry between them also in the 2016 WJC gold medal team.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Something like that. Personally I'd put Haula centering Teräväinen and Aho: he would do the dirty work on that line while the two do their thing. Granlund, Koivu and Donskoi would be a great third line. I like that you have Raanta as a starter, but in real life he would be a 3rd goalie behind Rinne and Rask (reputation being a main reason). Also I would probably try to find Heiskanen a role, although I admit my crush on him as a player might be slightly blinding in this case :laugh:.

Heiskanen > Lepistö IMO. Or will be within a year

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The Kapanen-Tolvanen switch ended up being really good for Kapanen, he really shined this game.
Kapanen is a brainless speedster, so he doesnt really need that good linemates necessarily. He can use his speedskating quite effectively without having chemistry with his linemates. But he also can easily destroy more cerebral player's line chemistry if he is put to play in the same line with them. His puck hogging without good hockey IQ and passing skills can make it very difficult for more skilled and creative players.

Reactions: boyko10 and Koijari

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
The legend of Aho grows by the day. Currently the all time highest World Championship scorer among Finns (surpassed Saku Koivu who had 4 goals and 12 assists for the previous record). I believe with 9goals 8 assists he is tied for the highest goal totals among finns (Immonen 9 goals in 2011).

Do you think this is a start of something bigger or will this be the last time we get excited by Aho?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad