WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
The legend of Aho grows by the day. Currently the all time highest World Championship scorer among Finns (surpassed Saku Koivu who had 4 goals and 12 assists for the previous record). I believe with 9goals 8 assists he is tied for the highest goal totals among finns (Immonen 9 goals in 2013).

Do you think this is a start of something bigger or will this be the last time we get excited by Aho?
Why would it? The dude's just getting started. Going to break 80p next season.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Why would it? The dude's just getting started. Going to break 80p next season.
This is what I believe also. I in fact said it already two years ago that I believe that in their prime both Aho and Laine will score over 100 points in their best seasons in the NHL. I also said then that those two are the best young players that Finland has and will become the two best Finnish players for a long time to come. I definitely still stand behind my thoughts and that they both will be even better than Barkov and Rantanen, although for sure those two are going to have also great NHL careers in the future.

I just saw already more than two years ago that both Aho and Laine are extremely talented players - even in a way that we haven’t seen before in Finnish hockey. Sometimes I’m still surprised to realize that there are still many Finns whom are even still doubting how good these two great young players are and will become in their prime.

Last edited:

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
This is what I believe also. I in fact said it already two years ago that I believe that in their prime both Aho and Laine will score over 100 points in their best seasons in the NHL. I also said then that those two are the best young players that Finland has and will become the two best players for a long time to come. I definitely still stand behind my thoughts and that they both will be even better than Barkov and Rantanen, although for sure those two are going to have also great NHL careers in the future.

I just saw already more than two years ago that both Aho and Laine are extremely talented players - even in a way that we haven’t seen before in Finnish hockey. Sometimes I’m still surprised to realize that there are still many Finns whom are even still doubting how good these two great young players are and will become in their prime.
Any idea if the Canes will make him a centerman, as originally planned? It would suit him even more and Team Finland in upcoming tournaments - we're starting to have a nice selection of wingers but have a small stock of top-quality C's. I know that he's one now, but being able to play that role in the NHL would improve him even more.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Any idea if the Canes will make him a centerman, as originally planned? It would suit him even more and Team Finland in upcoming tournaments - we're starting to have a nice selection of wingers but have a small stock of top-quality C's. I know that he's one now, but being able to play that role in the NHL would improve him even more.

He’s deceptively strong, but I would like to see Aho add on some weight before moving to center.

There’s no doubt he couldn’t do it though. He’s by far the smartest player I’ve seen on the Canes in years.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Any idea if the Canes will make him a centerman, as originally planned? It would suit him even more and Team Finland in upcoming tournaments - we're starting to have a nice selection of wingers but have a small stock of top-quality C's.
I have at least high hopes that this is what will exactly happen in the future. Aho has in my opinion been always at his best when he has been playing as center. He gets that way much better to get to the puck and control the game much better. He is in fact elite in exactly that, so that ability should definitely be used optimally even in the NHL. Sure he has to still learn to become much better in faceoffs, but those can be trained easily to make him clearly better in them.

But it will also depend a lot on how their coach sees the situation. Now the head coach is going to be Brindamour, whom as a player was one of the physically strongest players in the NHL and he was a very good center too. I hope he doesn’t think too much that Aho’s smallish size is preventing him to be an effective center in the NHL.

Aho is the same size as Henrik Zetterberg and plays in a very similar way as Zetterberg played in his prime, so I seriously believe that Aho can be very successful in a similar way and role. I just hope Brindamour sees it that way too. I do vaguely remember that I saw somewhere an interview of Brindamour as the assistant coach for the Canes and that he in that interview said that he sees Aho as a center in the future. Peters definitely said that even several times at least.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
One weird thing about this year's team is that our players don't have any bigger injuries that would prevent our players from playing games. Knock on wood. It might be a big factor in going far in this tournament.

That made me thinking, could Suomela have an injury? Late nor Lehtinen usually don't like to talk about injuries so I think it could very well be the case.

I want Carolina to try him as a center and give him like 30 games next season at that position, even if it costs him some points. He needs to work hard on faceoffs the entire summer and that will also be beneficial for team Finland in the long run, because Aho seems like the type of guy who genuinely comes every time to WHC if not injured.

Reactions: LAINEC and Koijari

rduck1

Dec 26, 2013
Finland
Alright, some notes at this juncture:
  • Switzerland is absolutely the ideal opponent out of the remaining candidates just by virtue of their skill level, though stylistically they might be among the most troublesome.
  • Our team has thus far walked over all comers in a game of skill versus skill. Hard to say whether Russia and Sweden are stronger or weaker than Canada and USA in this respect, though.
  • Now the bad news: Size and physicality are a major weakness of ours, and grinding gameplans as employed by Denmark and Germany have made the team stumble. Of the remaining opponents, I think at least the Swiss and Czechs are somewhat likely to adopt this kind of approach against us. Perhaps Canada as well. How to overcome this should be question number one for the coaching team IMO.
  • A bonus note: Since both won the groups, I would assume that we cannot face Sweden until the finals or bronze game. I think I need not say more on this.

Reactions: LAINEC

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I want Carolina to try him as a center and give him like 30 games next season at that position, even if it costs him some points. He needs to work hard on faceoffs the entire summer and that will also be beneficial for team Finland in the long run, because Aho seems like the type of guy who genuinely comes every time to WHC if not injured.

Carolina put him at C for the last 10 games of last season and he looked fine. I thought he looked better at W than C,but it was a very small sample size when games no longer mattered so I won't make too much out of that. I think a lot of it will depend on who is on the team.

Aho I think will be just as good as a winger as he will be at C.
Lindholm looked better as a C than a winger.
Staal is clearly taking 1 of the top 9 C spots.
Necas should be joining the team and he looks to be a true C.
Rask had a rough year last year, but was injured and really can only play C.

There's potentially 3 spots for 5 guys right, but I do think Aho will get every chance to show he's a capable NHL C to start next season.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I personally feel that Aho has a higher chance of reaching 100 points than Laine. At least for now.

But I presume Laine will spend this summer working on his speed and agility, so he'll be a lot more capable of generating dangerous chances next season than this year - which says a lot, since he reached 44 goals and 70 points. But Aho is already close and he'll be even better next year at this rate.^

As for the tournament, I think Aho will surpass 20 points for sure. With a fair shot at 25 points, if we go all the way to either final.

Btw, the points record is a massive 34 points, but that was during the hey-day of Soviet Union, when Vladimir Petrov reached that in 1973.

In the past 25 years, the highest tournament score was 20 points by Dany Heatley in 2008.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I personally feel that Aho has a higher chance of reaching 100 points than Laine. At least for now.

But I presume Laine will spend this summer working on his speed and agility, so he'll be a lot more capable of generating dangerous chances next season than this year - which says a lot, since he reached 44 goals and 70 points. But Aho is already close and he'll be even better next year at this rate.^

As for the tournament, I think Aho will surpass 20 points for sure. With a fair shot at 25 points, if we go all the way to either final.

Btw, the points record is a massive 34 points, but that was during the hey-day of Soviet Union, when Vladimir Petrov reached that in 1973.

In the past 25 years, the highest tournament score was 20 points by Dany Heatley in 2008.
If Finland goes all the way, they still don’t have more than 3 games left. And those 3 games are against really tough opponents. That is why I honestly find 25 points completely out of reach, as he would need to get at least 8 points in only 3 games and against the toughest opponents. But getting past 20 is definitely possible.

Last edited:

Snowsii

Jan 6, 2014
If Finland goes all the way, they still don’t have more than 3 games left. And those 3 games are against really tough opponents. That is why I honestly find 25 points completely out of reach, as he would need to get at least 8 points in only 3 games and against the toughest opponents. But getting past 20 is definitely possible.
I bet, Aho reads this and says: Ok, i'll accept the challence and scores 8 in next game ;) :sarcasm:

Reactions: Ippenator

Razamanaz

Oct 22, 2017
Northern Hemisphere.
As the song goes:

First we take Manhattan then we take Berlin ... or rather Bern(!?) ... so first we (Finland) take Switzerland in the quarters then we take Canada (again!) in the semis.

The land o' milk and honey - U.S of A - took a serious beatin'/kickin' from Finland yesterday as you know; the born in The Finland boys kicked U.S.A back to yesterday ...
6-2. Too sexy to be true.
Speed, speed and then even more speed was the F-word yesterday. Combine that with a taste of real Finland firepower and lines on fire and majestic goaltendin' from the man behind the mask: Harri Säteri; one helluva goalie - then you got yourself a lethal combination against you tomorrow Helvetia (Switzerland). Remember.

For sure you Swizz-lot ain't no sleepy/lazy St. Bernard dogs with a beer-can around your neck on ice nowadays - no way. Total respect for you. No puppies what so ever.
Even if many may think you're a one-man-army (yes, Roman Josi!) that fight his way with a Swizz Army knife in each of his hands for his country. But he's the deadliest one. No banjo-player even if he plays for the Nashville Predators down hillbilly South USA - nothin' but a great hockey-player with a long stick that goes boom (remember Krokus Switzerland!).

Kevin Fiala and Nino Niederreiter.
Aj, aj, aj.
Something harder than choklad for Finlands Ardenner-horse heavy working fourth-line to chew on/down this time around.
But back in the saddle again, boys!
So down go, go the Swizz.

Switzerland will play even a more neutral zone trap than they did in the Second World War. Pretty sure about that. Lead by Roman Josi of course who will get shiploads of icetime.
Finland has to battle 'em (him!) down one way or another.
A real metal (mental!?) rendez-vous comin' our way in Herning!

Lauri Marjamäki will not change a winning team for his life - so Finland will go on with the same legion of lions as in the last USA-game. And fine so.
No teenage nervous breakdown/shakedown Finland. Put the pedal to the metal and just let it go full F1-throttle!

Because Switzerland ain't exactly the alps to climb over in the quarters (no disrespect Switzerland).

I don't wanna sound too cheesy or cocky:

But no way Josi ... eh, José (Switzerland) gonna get us!

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Maalivahtilegenda Martin Brodeur jututti Leijonien hyökkääjää − "Hänestä voisi olla NHL-seurallemme paljon hyötyä"

Sorry...I'm a blues fan and I'm not sure where else to post this but reportedly Marty Brodeur talked to Antti Suomela at length and said the Blues scouts really like him.

Looks like they might try to sign him. Saw that he led the Finnish league (SM-Liiga) in scoring with 60 points in 59 games. Centerman, 24 years old, 6 ft. Other than that, I don't know too much about him.

Wondering how legit is this kid? Would his game translate to the NHL?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Maalivahtilegenda Martin Brodeur jututti Leijonien hyökkääjää − "Hänestä voisi olla NHL-seurallemme paljon hyötyä"

Sorry...I'm a blues fan and I'm not sure where else to post this but reportedly Marty Brodeur talked to Antti Suomela at length and said the Blues scouts really like him.

Looks like they might try to sign him. Saw that he led the Finnish league (SM-Liiga) in scoring with 60 points in 59 games. Centerman, 24 years old, 6 ft. Other than that, I don't know too much about him.

Wondering how legit is this kid? Would his game translate to the NHL?

Thanks!

Someone can elaborate more about him but I'll just say that it's been rumored quite a bit on biggest Finnish media sites that he isn't going to be playing in FEL next season because so many NHL teams are showing interest on him.

Reactions: JHockey123

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I'd say year after he has a chance with Svec on his line.
I don't trust rookie Svec that much.
Aho and Svechnikov will be fun to watch for years. All the talk is on Dahlin, but Svechnikov scored goals at a higher rate on 5v5 than Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, Hall, Kane, Seguin and Stamkos (compared to their draft seasons in the CHL of course). They could be a killer duo in the future.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Aho and Svechnikov will be fun to watch for years. All the talk is on Dahlin, but Svechnikov scored goals at a higher rate on 5v5 than Crosby, Tavares, McDavid, Hall, Kane, Seguin and Stamkos (compared to their draft seasons in the CHL of course). They could be a killer duo in the future.
And I believe Teuvo Teräväinen will also fit very well with Aho and Svechnikov. Both, Aho and TT, are excellent passers, but they can both also score good amounts of goals. But anyway I think that Svechnikov would be really in for a treat to play with both of them. And of course vice versa too. Can’t wait really for them to get to play together.

Reactions: LAINEC

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And I believe Teuvo Teräväinen will also fit very well with Aho and Svechnikov. Both, Aho and TT, are excellent passers, but they can both also score good amounts of goals. But anyway I think that Svechnikov would be really in for a treat to play with both of them. And of course vice versa too. Can’t wait really for them to get to play together.

:crossfing

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Marjamaki era was a complete ...ng disaster.
From the World Cup to this, what a journey, what a way to waste a good team.

Pokka please never play for Finland again.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Expected result really. You can't win with 4 wingers playing centers and half of the team playing like absolute crap.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
The world cup team was definitely the biggest disaster in a long time. Amazing roster, played with none of it's strengths

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
Why are people blaming the coach for this? An utterly shameful performance by the players, absolutely no competiveness from the players for the first two periods. I didn't even watch the third period, and I don't even care if they played better in that period. If you are not putting 100% from the start at qf's, you're a bunch of undeserving assholes, plain and simple.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
They will get it done vs those countries in the elimination games. Might be a good thing they lost a couple of matches vs teams that aren't as good on paper, the players saw that they need to show up and play 100% regardless of the opposition.
Lol I was so wrong haha. Something went terribly wrong for the preparation, 3 times in a row (Denmark, Germany and now Switzerland). Arrogant and lazy after the first goal... I really blame this on a lack of leadership. No discipline and lacking effort against underdogs they should've won. They thought they would win these games without giving 100% of themselves? This falls mainly on the coaching and how they prepare the players for the games like this, but for some of the players too. I don't think Granlund had as much authority as someone like Koivu had. Oh well, the team was young and it can only go upwards from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad