Status
Not open for further replies.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Tolvanen-Granlund-Rantanen
Savinainen-Aho-Teräväinen
Kapanen-Suomela-Palola/Jormakka/Manninen
Anttila-Pesonen-Mäenalanen

It could take a week for Tolvanen to get his legs going, why push him straight into 1st line?

Reactions: Trilliann

IceHockeyDude

May 15, 2011
Suomi
But he seriously should, as Kapanen is really not in the national team anything more than he is in the NHL - just an energetic 3rd or 4th liner whom just does not have scoring skills and hockey IQ enough to play in the top 2 offensive lines efficiently.

Disagreed. Kapanen has soft hand and good wrister and most 3rd or 4th liners don't have that.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Disagreed. Kapanen has soft hand and good wrister and most 3rd or 4th liners don't have that.
He has an ok hard wrister, but it’s unfortunately pretty darn inaccurate too often. Also he messes with his stickhandling when he gets to tight spots. He has been for years already the same with all this. He is for sure useful for the 3rd or 4th lines in almost any top class teams in the NHL or the national team. Just doesn’t have great skills.

A speedster by heart, but lacks good skill and hockey IQ to match his speed to be an efficient scoring threat. Results tell everything, even if you choose to disagree with what I have pointed out here.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I think Tolvanen should play in top 2 lines but now we could have two deadly PP special teams. Granlund-Rantanen-Tolvanen-Heiskanen-Honka and TT-Aho-Kapanen-Nutivaara-Pokka.

I would probably do that as well. Shame that Clay Woman would be kicked out of the PP units. I like him as a mask man.

The second unit with Aho is kinda small and it lacks some real mask man, if Kapanen is there for him being a rightie for one timer, then remove one defender, let TT take the LD pos and kick Pokka out of the PP units. That will create a slot for Savinainen to be the mask man of this unit.

Edit: Looks like File already said the same thing.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Seiska paparazis reporting in.
For more clownery, check out how they twisted the manager's words.

Reporter: "Will this cause sanctions to Kapanen?"
Manager: "We'll see. I think not."

Headline: "FINLAND'S MANAGER: WE'LL SEE IF THIS CAUSES SANCTIONS."

Also, it's hilarious how they claim the picture depicts "Kapanen nodding off with a glass in his hands" - when he's clearly simply fiddling his phone. Gutter journalism at its best/worst.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Kapanen will have a brain aneurysm if Tolvanen takes his spot.

Yes, but only figuratively speaking. So, it's all good for him and the team. This Kapanen dude, to be honest, comes across as a bit too self-confident to the extent of being cocky, given his pedigree that is understandable but not that tolerable. He might lack a couple of ounces of always useful self-criticism, those little, developing setbacks, kinda mirror moments in life which bring one openly before "certain facts" everyone might ignore or have ignored in his conduct and execution until then and which need to be checked ASAP. Casper comes from the famous hockey family of Kapanens, and he seems to be too aware of that fact sometimes, as if entitled to certain privileges, silky smooth handling and so on.

Yes, this comes from a guy who has spent little time in the same railroad carriage for kids to play and have fun in a slide once (it was summertime, long long time ago, the train was travelling from Helsingfors to Kuopio) :D. So, I know what I am talking about without any personal bias. Be objective, guys! Kapanen screams of a bottom six energy guy at this point of his development, even if that kind of demotion got him a brain aneurysm, figuratively speaking. It is all good, a nice little disappointment which will ship into the bright future!

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
For more clownery, check out how they twisted the manager's words.

Reporter: "Will this cause sanctions to Kapanen?"
Manager: "We'll see. I think not."

Headline: "FINLAND'S MANAGER: WE'LL SEE IF THIS CAUSES SANCTIONS."

Also, it's hilarious how they claim the picture depicts "Kapanen nodding off with a glass in his hands" - when he's clearly simply fiddling his phone. Gutter journalism at its best/worst.

I think it's soon time for drunk Raimo Summanen to appear in Denmark and maybe him and Kapanen can have a fight. Seiska would for some weird reason fund his traveling fees.

Reactions: LAINEC

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think he could help the first line.

I wouldn't expect that in game 1.

It takes time to get used to the time difference alone, add the not playing for a 1 month part to it and who knows.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There isn't really time to ease Tolvanen into the lineup, especially with another back-to-back coming. They should just put him in whatever spot they think he fits best and let gametime work the kinks out, to get him as ready as he can be. It's actually pretty much the basic maneuver in a situation like this, when a player joins midway through the event.

Not that there's much room for speculation, since they practically have only two spots they can plant Eeli in - either into the first alongside Granlund, knocking Kapanen down to 3rd (which really shouldn't be viewed as "demoting" Kapanen, instead it'd more like trying to jumpstart said unit), or the third next to Suomela, which means Manninen will get the boot from the lineup altogether. If they do that, I can definitely see the justification behind it. After all, the other winger will be either Palola or Jormakka, both of whom were in the same line with Tolvanen in Jokerit - albeit only sporadically.

I would personally just put him next to MiG. Not because I immediately expect wonders from the kid, but I somehow don't think he'd be any worse fit there than Kapanen - and I also think that the 3rd would definitely benefit more from Kappy's presence. Kapanen has actually not been half bad as an individual, but I really don't see the chemistry with the rest of his current unit.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Yeah, I'd just send him home at this point. First the garbage effort he's put in and then this complete disrespect to the entire nation.
I have to clarify... was this sarcasm?

Karri Kivi also would put Heiskanen as the lone defender in PP1 and he said Heiskanen being leftie in this case doesn't matter.

He would also put Nutivaara as the lone defender in PP2 and go with 4 forwards in that as well.
The handednesses may have mattered with the initial call, but that call also came with the assumption that Pokka can handle the job in the first place. If that assumption has been proven as false, then replacing him with an otherwise more suitable guy shouldn't be up to that guy being a leftie.

Though it's not a given our current PP1 will stay as it is with Tolvanen joining anyway.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Can somebody of the Finns tell me if I understand the following google translation from the 'YLE' article correctly, Pekka Rinne and Juso Saros are joining the team:

Lehtinen paljasti: Leijonat havitteli Tolvasta jo aiemmin mukaan – Rinteelle ja Sarokselle pidetään yhä ovea auki.
Eeli Tolvanen on jo matkalla Herningiin. Juuse Saroksen ja Pekka Rinteen kisahalukkuutta Jere Lehtinen selvittää vielä perjantain aikana.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I'd just send him home at this point. First the garbage effort he's put in and then this complete disrespect to the entire nation.

Can somebody tell me what Kapanen committed that he should sent home?

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Can somebody of the Finns tell me if I understand the following google translation from the 'YLE' article correctly, Pekka Rinne and Juso Saros are joining the team:
You did not. They're holding a spot open for one of them, but nothing's confirmed yet.

Also, common sense should have told you your perception can't be right. No team can dress more than three goalies, and Finland already has two (as it must have). So only one can come.

Finnswiss

Apr 28, 2013
You did not. They're holding a spot open for one of them, but nothing's confirmed yet.

Also, common sense should have told you your perception can't be right. No team can dress more than three goalies, and Finland already has two (as it must have). So only one can come.

Sorry I didn't know that maximum 3 goalies can be nominated.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Toimiiko Leijonien ylivoima? Mestarivalmentaja toimisi eri tavalla kuin Lauri Marjamäki: ”Mä vaihtaisin sen”

Karri Kivi also would put Heiskanen as the lone defender in PP1 and he said Heiskanen being leftie in this case doesn't matter.

He would also put Nutivaara as the lone defender in PP2 and go with 4 forwards in that as well.

Yeah I agree, if you have a player with clearly better skill set you put him on the ice, even if he shoots wrong side.
Heiskanen is going to be the Aho of our defense, and I bet he'd create better plays than Pokka from the point.

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012

Lehtinen paljasti: Leijonat havitteli Tolvasta jo aiemmin mukaan – Rinteelle ja Sarokselle pidetään yhä ovea auki.
Eeli Tolvanen on jo matkalla Herningiin. Juuse Saroksen ja Pekka Rinteen kisahalukkuutta Jere Lehtinen selvittää vielä perjantain aikana.
No, they are still undecided and Lehtinen is gauging their interest to join.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
I think Kapanen hit the bottle once he learned that Tolvanen will get his spot in the first line. It's good for the team. Kappe is a 4thline and PK player, not higher. Hope he gets thrown out of the team!
He has had a rep as a bad seed in the lockerroom. If he hadn't made the u20 winninggoal, he prolly would be in Mestis atm.

Reactions: Ippenator

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
I think Kapanen hit the bottle once he learned that Tolvanen will get his spot in the first line. It's good for the team. Kappe is a 4thline and PK player, not higher. Hope he gets thrown out of the team!
He has had a rep as a bad seed in the lockerroom. If he hadn't made the u20 winninggoal, he prolly would be in Mestis atm.
How? All I know is that he has apparently let his fathers fame get into his head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad