WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Could it be that they are doing that energy save thing I mentioned yesterday? Tomorrow's 3rd line could be Tolvanen-Suomela-Palola. Tolvanen and Palola got some history together. Very smart if Late is doing that. Minimizing the risks vs GER.

Reactions: santeri

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Could it be that they are doing that energy save thing I mentioned yesterday? Tomorrow's 3rd line could be Tolvanen-Suomela-Palola. Tolvanen and Palola got some history together. Very smart if Late is doing that. Minimizing the risks vs GER.
Unfortunately the 3rd line is an absolutely atrocious line with it’s combination. Jormakka and Manninen neither should be in the tournament at all. They have been absolutely trash and their physical weakness is going to be absolutely exploited by Canada. Simply two worst forwards in the team, and then a junior (although a very talented one) whom hasn’t played a game in weeks. I mean I can’t even take stupidity like this honestly. I’ll go and take a shower, it will hopefully help me cool down a bit...

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Thought of the same thing. Now that we have reserves, no matter how shoddy, why not use them? These four three-liners (Suomela/Manninen/Palola/Jormakka) have felt more or less interchangeable. Well, Suomela has actually been rather decent at FOs - being a centre after all - but in all other ways none of them have exactly shone.

However, for this to be of any use, Marjamäki would have to give more even TOIs to all lines. If our 3rd unit plays around 10min, whereas the "big boys" keep clocking twenty, having "fresh" reservers will be kinda pointless - it's not like the previous third liners are going to be overly fatigued either.

---

As a related note, Latvia beating Germany was good news, at least to a degree. Germany now has Finland and Canada left, so even if they wish to overtake us, they need at least a point from Canada too. Latvia plays Canada and Denmark. So the only technical nailbiter will be the DEN vs LAT game, if we somehow fumble against Germany, that is. Even our current 9p will likely be enough if Latvia just doesn't get any points from Denmark. Which, of course, is not THAT given. Denmark having one good game against us and looking decent in general doesn't mean they're permanently out of the kids' table.

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
28.38 without Kilpeläinen. Eliteprospects are missing him and I don't feel like counting. Very young anyway.
Looks like you typoed a bit. EP says it's 23.83 w/o Kilpeläinen.

With Kilpeläinen, it's 25.16. Unless I fumbled the math.

Reactions: LAINEC

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The month layoff might have done even good to Tolvanen. He is now for sure rested and well energized. And hungry too.

Doubt that today.

Why is he playing if he just got there, this isn't the must win game, it's the games after this one.
Maybe he can play with adrenaline but I'm not a fan of rushing players.

Last edited:

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Thought of the same thing. Now that we have reserves, no matter how shoddy, why not use them? These four three-liners (Suomela/Manninen/Palola/Jormakka) have felt more or less interchangeable. Well, Suomela has actually been rather decent at FOs - being a centre after all - but in all other ways none of them have exactly shone.

However, for this to be of any use, Marjamäki would have to give more even TOIs to all lines. If our 3rd unit plays around 10min, whereas the "big boys" keep clocking twenty, having "fresh" reservers will be kinda pointless - it's not like the previous third liners are going to be overly fatigued either.

---

As a related note, Latvia beating Germany was good news, at least to a degree. Germany now has Finland and Canada left, so even if they wish to overtake us, they need at least a point from Canada too. Latvia plays Canada and Denmark. So the only technical nailbiter will be the DEN vs LAT game, if we somehow fumble against Germany, that is. Even our current 9p will likely be enough if Latvia just doesn't get any points from Denmark. Which, of course, is not THAT given. Denmark having one good game against us and looking decent in general doesn't mean they're permanently out of the kids' table.

Yes need to adjust the game plan based on the situation. Big lead for Canada = Big minutes to our 3rd line I hope.

DEN-KOR 0-0 after one period. Who knows... That going to over time would be miracle on ice for sure. Korea has been so weak this tournament.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Doubt that today.

Why is he playing if he just got there, this isn't the must win game, it's the games after this one.
When you haven’t played in quite a while it’s extremely important to get exactly to play as much as possible to get into the rhythm and the pace of the game. I see him much rather getting already some of the touch against Canada rather than would have him only starting to find his touch against Germany. Now he might after all get at least close to game form latest against USA, which might after all be still a crucial game at that point.

Reactions: LAINEC

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
When you haven’t played in quite a while it’s extremely important to get exactly to play as much as possible to get into the rhythm and the pace of the game. I see him much rather getting already some of the touch against Canada rather than would have him only starting to find his touch against Germany. Now he might after all get at least close to game form latest against USA, which might after all be still a crucial game at that point.

Yes it's good for him to play, but on the same day that he flew in?

It's not a short flight from Nashville, and if he has a bad game there's going to be a ..... storm waiting for him.
Maybe he plays with adrenaline today, but he could be dead tired in the next games.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yes it's good for him to play, but on the same day that he flew in?

It's not a short flight from Nashville, and if he has a bad game there's going to be a ..... storm waiting for him.
Maybe he plays with adrenaline today, but he could be dead tired in the next games.

Well Palola is ready as 13th forward if Tolvanen looks totally out of place for being too tired.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Well Palola is ready as 13th forward if Tolvanen looks totally out of place for being too tired.

I'd just have him sleep, do a light workout or walk to get the garbage going in his system and play him tomorrow. Got there 6hours before game, that's not a lot.

This game does not decide the gold.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Kapanen hasn't been a problem what the ####
I'd just have him sleep, do a light workout or walk to get the garbage going in his system and play him tomorrow. Got there 6hours before game, that's not a lot.

The game can psychologically be really important in terms of gaining momentum though, depends on the players.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I'm fine with either choice TBH.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Iltalehti got some info about major changes to our PP2 unit.

Lauri Marjamäki paljasti - Eeli Tolvasen tulo muuttaa Suomen molempia ylivoimakoostumuksia

So Pesonen will be in the second unit and Marjamäki said that Jormakka maybe as well. We already knew about Tolvanen being in the second unit. Nutivaara and Kapanen remain in it.

He hinted about a change in PP1 as well but said he keeps it as a secret. It must be Heiskanen replacing Pokka in PP1 if I have to guess.

BL92

Double Gold
May 22, 2016
Finland
Iltalehti got some info about major changes to our PP2 unit.

Lauri Marjamäki paljasti - Eeli Tolvasen tulo muuttaa Suomen molempia ylivoimakoostumuksia

So Pesonen will be in the second unit and Marjamäki said that Jormakka maybe as well. We already knew about Tolvanen being in the second unit. Nutivaara and Kapanen remain in it.

He hinted about a change in PP1 as well but said he keeps it as a secret. It must be Heiskanen replacing Pokka in PP1 if I have to guess.
I'll rip my hair off if he doesn't replace Pokka in PP1.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What Marjamäki will do is take Rantanen out of the unit and put Anttila in his stead. All Mörkö-Marko will then do is stand in front of the net for two minutes. It's the perfect plan - he will be impossible to move and the goalie won't see anything. Even Pokka's flaccid wristers will find the back of the net every time.

Reactions: Ippenator

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Unfortunately the 3rd line is an absolutely atrocious line with it’s combination. Jormakka and Manninen neither should be in the tournament at all. They have been absolutely trash and their physical weakness is going to be absolutely exploited by Canada. Simply two worst forwards in the team, and then a junior (although a very talented one) whom hasn’t played a game in weeks. I mean I can’t even take stupidity like this honestly. I’ll go and take a shower, it will hopefully help me cool down a bit...

Hahah, take it easy; it's only hockey but we like it. But yes, affirmative: You have a sharp and acknowledged eye for this thing hockey, Ipp, and even more importantly and strikingly you are the guy who doesn't hesitate to give clear and well-argued critique where and when it is due without needless softness and correctness in your voice. Always a pleasure to read your straightforward, articulated comments and analysis here and not these "seliseli", "on the other hand" watering down additions. Emperors's new clothes revealed. There are none! : D

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad