WJC: Team Finland 2018 U20 WJC Roster Talk

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kuokkanen injured.

Source?

Damned, our best center candidate and in the most thin position. There's exactly a week until the first game. Can they still alter the rosters and leave players out? If so, perhaps they could find space for Kotkaniemi after all. Not like we have abundance of skilled centers and rather someone young with high end skill than go with less gifted but more experienced guy. Should have made the camp anyway.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Source?

Damned, our best center candidate and in the most thin position. There's exactly a week until the first game. Can they still alter the rosters and leave players out? If so, perhaps they could find space for Kotkaniemi after all. Not like we have abundance of skilled centers and rather someone young with high end skill than go with less gifted but more experienced guy. Should have made the camp anyway.
Kotkaniemi and him are wingers. And no, Kotkaniemi won't be in. He is vastly overrated around here, there is a reason why he wasn't invited.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I haven't found too much detail about it, but Kuokkanen definitely was an injury scratch tonight for the Charlotte Checkers.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Kotkaniemi and him are wingers. And no, Kotkaniemi won't be in. He is vastly overrated around here, there is a reason why he wasn't invited.

Huh? Kotkaniemi is a natural center. Playing wing in FEL doesn't change one's natural position. That's just how they are brought in to the league apart from a few exceptions. And no, he isn't overrated. Could have scored more points by now sure, but there's more to hockey than that especially when playing a rookie season. If he was physically weak or had serious skating issues then I'd hesitate, but that's not the case. Also Kuokkanen has experience from both positions afaik so it would seem you're not fully up to date. Kuokkanen was also the prime candidate for the 1C role in the team.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Huh? Kotkaniemi is a natural center. Playing wing in FEL doesn't change one's natural position. That's just how they are brought in to the league apart from a few exceptions. And no, he isn't overrated. Could have scored more points by now sure, but there's more to hockey than that especially when playing a rookie season. If he was physically weak or had serious skating issues then I'd hesitate, but that's not the case. Also Kuokkanen has experience from both positions afaik so it would seem you're not fully up to date. Kuokkanen was also the prime candidate for the 1C role in the team.
He has skating issues and he is overrated here. You seriously thinking he should be brought back to play as a 1c kinda proves my point too. He is not that good of a prospect. But as mentioned above, Kuokkanen's injury is minor, so the speculation is pointless anyways now.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
He has skating issues and he is overrated here. You seriously thinking he should be brought back to play as a 1c kinda proves my point too. He is not that good of a prospect. But as mentioned above, Kuokkanen's injury is minor, so the speculation is pointless anyways now.

Wow aren't we quick to judge. How many games have you actually even watched of Kotkaniemi this season? Furthermore, I never said he should just join the team and instantly become 1C, but rather with Kuokkanen possibly out of the line up, that means we're thinner in the middle. If that's your opinion then by all means keep it, but don't expect everyone to agree.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
So, is Team Finland gonna quarry some gold in Buffalo? Me thinks so. Third gold in four years, champs every other year - I call it success.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Even if Kuokkanen was out, we would still have at least four guys who would take preference on centre duties over Kotkaniemi. Ikonen, Räsänen, Luostarinen and Koppanen. Heponiemi and Kupari would also fit in a pinch.

So I don't really see where this "we're thin down the middle" talk comes from. We may have seen better crops, sure, but I sure can also recall years worse than this.

My personal opinion concerning Kotkaniemi is that I don't think he would look out of place among this group, but neither is he a piece that would just walk into the squad even with an injury or two.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Except that all the potential centers are practically future borderline NHL players at best, apart from Kuokkanen who apparently is on a day to day recovery and Kupari who in turn is still draft eligible. Heponiemi isn't a natural center either and likely to be played on a wing. There's no real need for Kotkaniemi, while personally I think he would be exciting to watch, but having him wouldn't hurt either. The middle is the weakest link and where Finland loses to other great nations. That said, the practical overload of top end D and number of quality wingers easily compensate the lack of elite "face off" guys. The best team on the paper the country has produced, so should be interesting to see where all these expectations lead.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Even if Kuokkanen was out, we would still have at least four guys who would take preference on centre duties over Kotkaniemi. Ikonen, Räsänen, Luostarinen and Koppanen. Heponiemi and Kupari would also fit in a pinch.

So I don't really see where this "we're thin down the middle" talk comes from. We may have seen better crops, sure, but I sure can also recall years worse than this.

My personal opinion concerning Kotkaniemi is that I don't think he would look out of place among this group, but neither is he a piece that would just walk into the squad even with an injury or two.
There is centers but there is only one or two top level centers. You don't win the WJC playing 17 year old Kotkaniemi, or any other guy you mentioned as top 6 center vs Steel, McLeod, or whoever the big counties throw at you

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
There is centers but there is only one or two top level centers. You don't win the WJC playing 17 year old Kotkaniemi, or any other guy you mentioned as top 6 center vs Steel, McLeod, or whoever the big counties throw at you
I agree. Kuokkanen is really the only proven top-level centre we have. Then we have to rely on either Ikonen or Räsänen for the 2nd line, and they'll do, but they're obviously one step below.

As for Kotkaniemi, if you read more carefully, you'll notice that I pretty much said the same thing you did. Kotkaniemi doesn't suddenly become the instant replacement even if Kuokkanen was out (which he likely and luckily won't be) - and in fact he's not even the next best thing. There're at least two or three other names who take preference, maybe as much as four or five.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Still havent seen a single practice report. Someone needs to step up so we get to see what kind of F lines and D pairs Ahokas is thinking about

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Still havent seen a single practice report. Someone needs to step up so we get to see what kind of F lines and D pairs Ahokas is thinking about
It's really absymal considering how much coverage we get from the WHC. I personally rate this tournament higher.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It's really absymal considering how much coverage we get from the WHC. I personally rate this tournament higher.
Definitely my favorite annual tourney. I find WHC pretty useless since 90% of the Olympic level players skip the tournament, or are in NHL playoffs. Some interesting younger guys there every year, so I watch the games, but winning it doesn't really mean much. Winning WJC is so much more satisfying

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

Nobody said he should join as 1C, even 4th line C is fine.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
in charge*

I don't see how employing a Liiga regular as a 4th C in junior competition is THAT controversial
Well, because Kotkaniemi as a checking line center is really... not a good idea. I would rather have even Kupari in that role (although that wouldn't be optional either).

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
First throw a promising young player under the bus and then offend the posters who disagree with that, nice.
I can't see how I threw him under a bus? Can you elaborate? And I apologize if I offended anyone, it wasn't my intention. I said he is overrated as a prospect here simply because some are acting he would have been some kind of "savior" to this team. In Jatkoaika it's even worse, I'm simply sick of hearing bullshit rumors like Ahokas has some kind of personal personal problems with Jesperi's dad. A projected top 3 pick Adam Boqvist was left out from this tournament and people in Sweden are less bitchy about it. Move on.

Reactions: illone84

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I said he is overrated as a prospect here simply because some are acting he would have been some kind of "savior" to this team.

It's fine to think he's overrated and doesn't belong on the team, but please quote where people say he's a savior? People are just suggesting he'd join the team if Kuokkanen would've been injured.

You're taking a lot of liberties in putting words into other peoples mouths.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad