U18: TEAM CANADA

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
They have in the past left roster spots open, leave with 19-20 players and name 2 or 3 once the 2nd.rd is in the books.

Looking at it, I'd leave 3 roster spots open, assuming Addison, Cozens and Dudas are the 3 most likely to become available. They are not the 3 at the top of my wish list, but I don't see Woo, Hayton, Thomas, Groulx, Veleno or Dobson becoming available anytime soon. If any one of those 5 become available...then giddy up.

for the Q I think that Veleno will be the only aviable guy in this list

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
for the Q I think that Veleno will be the only aviable guy in this list

American team looks to be the team to beat this year. as they are most years in this tournament. but if there are no injuries with the players who are currently available, plus with a few additions, I like the way Canada is shaping up. I got a feeling it will be a Canada-US final.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Why was Jacob Ingham not invited? Looks like a glaring omission right there.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
No Nolan Foote is a surprise to me. I wonder if he is banged up or if he wants to play for the USA?

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Neither of those are IIHF sanctioned events. He can still play for the USA if he so chose.
The fact that Nolan has already played two tournaments in a Canadian jersey regardless if they’re sanctioned or not tells me he’s committed to Canada. Also the US squad had already been selected and Nolan wasnt on there.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Just looking at last year they brought 3G, 7D, 13F. So unless Drummondville or Halifax get eliminated then those are the goalies. There is one D and one F spot open so they must be anticipating one of Woo, Addison, Dobson, or McIsaac becoming available. If multiple do I'd figure Robertson gets sent home. For F I'd anticipate Thomas, Dudas, Pelletier are who they're realistically waiting for and I could see Clarke being sent home

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Love the invites especially Wouters as he's easily the most slept on player for this years draft. I'm not a fan of this years goalie class so I'd give Maier a chance to be the starter. Foote must be hurt because HC really like him and he'll be too old for next years if he's available

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Goalie selections are for the most part unsurprising. Nolan Maier is the underager goalie who is there to learn the process and begin the start to being the starter at the Hlinka such as Alexis Gravel last season. Colten Ellis was the top rookie goalie in the CHL this year thereby earning his spot on this team and his game is very well suited to the junior level. Kevin Mandolese is the high end potential guy that hasn't had it easy this season. Mandolese/Ellis will be given the majority of chances to earn the starting potential. Ellis being the safe option at starter while Mandolese having the potential to take over the tournament though who knows if he actually does it.

Slightly surprised not to see Jacob Ingham not added. I get he didn't have a great season but neither did Mandolese. I guess they liked Mandolese just a bit more than Ingham and didn't want to run with a potentially inconsistent duo of Mandolese/Ingham. I am disappointed in not seeing Jordan Kooy added to the team. I like that HC is rewarding Ellis on a great year but Kooy would be just as safe as an option as Ellis with more potential to take control of the tournament.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
No Alex Newhook either. Was looking forward to seeing him. Sucks that Foote isn't there too.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I must say, I'm usually not in sync with Hockey Canada camp/team roster selections, but this new chief scout Hockey Canada hired appears to be one sharp cookie. I like him so far. Surprised by 2 omissions, but overall I like the team as it's been selected so far. If we land a couple of high quality late additions, this team could compete for a gold medal. wish them luck. looking forward to seeing how Lefreniere looks as a double underager. Curious to see how close he can get to McDavid's stat line at this tournament as a 16 year old: 7 games 8 goals 6 assists 14 pts. + a gold medal.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So Ty Smith and Serron Noel are the only projected 1st rounders on the team so far (Merkley, Tychonick and Dellandrea have a chance at being 1sts as well).

Last edited:

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Any updates here ?

I'm sure the young player will be moved for older players.

I remember one year they had many young players and once the first round playoff were over the youngest got replaced by older players

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Any updates here ?

I'm sure the young player will be moved for older players.

I remember one year they had many young players and once the first round playoff were over the youngest got replaced by older players

We probably won’t here more until at least a few of the 2nd round series’ conclude. In particular, I’m sure the Hockey Canada brass are following the Halifax series closely. The Moose lost their first two games on home ice and Groulx and McIsaac would be nice additions.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
We probably won’t here more until at least a few of the 2nd round series’ conclude. In particular, I’m sure the Hockey Canada brass are following the Halifax series closely. The Moose lost their first two games on home ice and Groulx and McIsaac would be nice additions.

also Niagara is down 2-0. which means Akil Thomas to go along with Groulx and McIssac would be huge. those 3 could be available even before Canada plays a game. usually 2nd rd. additions are flown in when the tournament is already in progress.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Potential 1st rounders in no order with team Canada.

McBain F
Smith D
Noel F
Merkley D
Dellandrea F
(Potentially Thomas/Groulx/Veleno F’s)

2nd rounders

Tychonic D
McShane F
Foudy F
Hillis F
Fonstad F
(Potentially Dudas F/ Woo D/MacIsaac D)

3rd
Bahl D
Wauters F

Not invited from Hlinka -Fortier/Foote/Shepard
Don’t see Burzan/MacDonald gettingbthe jnvite if they lose out.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
I watched the Team Canada practice today.
Posted notes on the u18 world Championship Thread for those interested in feedback etc.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Halifax just got knocked out, Moncton & Niagara are down 3-1 in both their series. We could receive Barron, Groulx, Lavoie, McIsaac, Pelletier, and Thomas. Lots of huge additions.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Halifax just got knocked out, Moncton & Niagara are down 3-1 in both their series. We could receive Barron, Groulx, Lavoie, McIsaac, Pelletier, and Thomas. Lots of huge additions.

nice additions, especially the Halifax players, if healthy and ready to play. Thomas as well would be huge if Niagara drops out. what's the status on Jett Woo in the west?

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
They would only bring over Groulx, McIsaac, Thomas.
Dudas maybe or Hayton.
The others would not get an invite.
Woo maybe
The 3 01 forwards with the exception of Lafreniere will be sent home. Like a couple of 2000’s last year.
Team will look a lot like Hlinka
With the exception of Veleno, maybe Hayton, Addison.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00