U18: TEAM CANADA

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I figured it was about time we get a look at the possible U18 roster for the April tournament. As best I can figure out according to CHL standings entering the POs. (providing there are no surprises) of which there will most likely be a few)

* it looks as though Akil Thomas and Serron Noel will be a 1st. rd. playoff match up, so one or the other will be available. that's a bonus.

as for the goaltending. minus Gravel and Rodrigue, give all games to Ingham.

GABRIEL FORTIERJACK MCBAINTY DELLANDREA
ANDERSON MACDONALDALLAN MCSHANEAKIL THOMAS /SERRON NOEL*
PEYTON KREBSLUKA BURZAN AIDAN DUDAS
JACKSON SHEPARDCAMERON HILLIS GRAEME CLARKE
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
DYLAN COZENS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
T SMITHRYAN MERKLEY
KEVIN BAHL XAVIER BOUCHARD
BOWEN BYRAM
JONNY TYCHONICK / MERRICK RIPPON
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
JACOB INGHAM
KEVIN MANDOLESE / LUCAS FITZPATRICK or JOEL HOFER (if available)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
I think Carter Robertson, Declan Chisholm and Cole Fonstad are all guys in the bottom parts of their leagues that should be getting looks

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Gotta think Alex Newhook gets consideration. Would have led the BCHL in scoring if not for a broken wrist in the last month of the season. Assuming he’s fully healthy and the Grizzlies aren’t playing he is going to be on the list.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Right! Newhook. I forgot about him. I saw him play in bantam. talented kid. lost track of him as he's played all over the country. bit of a traveler that kid.

Fonstad slipped through my net. probably a better option than Shepard. A line of Fonstad-Hillis-Cozens might be a good one.

JonnyMacSen

2nd round Chlapik!
Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa, ON
really? that's a bummer. maybe they switched up with Hlinka tournament, since the Hlinka this summer is in Edmonton.

My mistake, I got confirmation they are indeed broadcasting some games, they just don't know which ones yet, my guess is every Canadian game as per usual.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
^^^^ that's good news. I like the 2000 group of kids. lots of talent/depth. hopefully we can put together a Gold Medal contending team this year.

This is the 4th.time the tournament will be hosted in Russia. interesting factoid, the previous 3 times...guess who won the Gold? can we go 4 for 4?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Here is the team that I posted to twitter recently. My best guess on how it could look using players without major upsets. Obviously some guys like Dudas and Akil Thomas could be included if they get eliminated in time.

Forwards:
Peyton Krebs - Ty Dellandrea - Serron Noel
Gabriel Fortier - Allan McShane - Cole Fonstad
Anderson MacDonald - Cam Hillis - Jack McBain
Liam Foudy - Riley Stotts - Luka Burzan
Alex Newhook

Other Forwards:
Dylan Cozens, Connor Roberts, Curtis Douglas, Billy Moskal, Blake Murray, Mitchell Hoelscher, Adam McMaster, Jackson Leppard, Jackson Sheppard, Chase Wouters, Eric Florchuk, Kirby Dach, Jakob Pelletier, Brett Budgell, Sasha Mutala

Defense:
Ty Smith - Kevin Bahl
Calen Addison - Xavier Bouchard
Bowen Byram - Merrick Rippon
Ryan Merkley

Other Defense:
Connor Corcoran, Declan Chisholm, Carter Robertson, Adam McCormick, Dawson Barteaux, Matthew Robertson

Goaltenders:
Kevin Mandolese
Jacob Ingham

Other Goaltenders:
Jordan Kooy, Duncan McGovern, Ethan Anders, Alexis Shank, Justin Blanchette

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
^^^^ that's good news. I like the 2000 group of kids. lots of talent/depth. hopefully we can put together a Gold Medal contending team this year.

This is the 4th.time the tournament will be hosted in Russia. interesting factoid, the previous 3 times...guess who won the Gold? can we go 4 for 4?
Add 2 world championships, a WJC, and an Olympic Gold. Hilarious!

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I think most of us have the same names for the team just in different order, well here's mine, similar to the OP, but a few different guys in.

Burzan - McShane - Dellandrea
Fortier - McBain - Noel
Leppard - Stotts - Fonstad
Krebs - Dunkley - Dach
Nielsen

No MacDonald, too slow and soft for me.

Smith - Tychonick
Bahl - Merkley
Byram - Bouchard
Rippon

Ingham
Kooy

Looks a solid team to me, a lot of skill and depth unlike previous years where the bottom 6 is names nobody has heard of before and are going in the 5th/6th rounds. Almost all of these guys all look like top 60 picks, so I'm expecting a good team.

Tournament starts April 19. Last year roster was announced April 4/5, I expect the roster will be announced a few days later this year because the tournament starts a bit later this year.

StevenEllisNHL

Nov 29, 2014
It'll be interesting to see how McBain performs. He seems to always play at a high level in international play but he left a lot to be desired during his OJHL sophomore campaign. He was lighting it up in the playoffs before he got pissed off in a physical game and clocked an opposing player and got suspended for the rest of the series.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
and Kelowna bows out in 4. wow. A big bonus for Canada if Foote is healthy. I wasn't counting on him at all being available.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
A little update:

Available:
oo' F-McBain, Stotts, Wouters, Florchuk, Foote, Dellandrea, Giroux, Dunkley, Foudy, Noel, McShane, Fortier, Hillis, Douglas, Chyzowski, Fonstad,
D- Tychonick, Barteaux, McCourt, Chisholm, Bahl, Rippon, C. Robertson, X. Bouchard, McCormick, Corcoran, Merkley, Smith
G- Kooy, Mandolese, Ingham, Ellis

01' F- Newhook, Krebs, Dach, Murray, Clarke, Lafreniere
D- M. Robertson, Van De Leest, Byram
G- Gauthier, Maier

Last edited:

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
It's worth noting that the tournament starts 6 days later this year on April 19th. Safe to assume Canada will have some exhibition games scheduled, but those aren't likely to be until the 15th or so (I would guess).

By then, we could definitely have some second round series' wrapped up too, making more players available for Canada. I would expect that because of the late start date, we could see this team not being named for a little while.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Pretty key game going tomorrow between Moncton and Rimouski. Game 7 and likely determines whether the U18 team gets Pelletier or Lafrienire.

coolwood

Dec 9, 2016
Considering what Brock said about there being the possibility of players coming after the 2nd round, here are the potential players available:

WHL:
Moose Jaw (Woo) vs Swift Current
Lethbridge (Addison, Cozens) vs Brandon (Burzan)

OHL:
Sault Ste. Marie (Hayton) vs Owen Sound (Dudas)
Kitchener (Vallati) vs Sarnia
Niagara (Thomas) vs Hamilton
Barrie (Suzuki) vs Kingston

QMJHL:
Blainville-Boisbriand (Henman?) vs Moncton (MacDonald, Pelletier)
Acadie-Bathurst (Dobson) vs Sherbrooke (Poulin)
Halifax (Groulx, Lavoie, McIsaac, Gravel) vs Charlottetown
Drummondville (Veleno, Desruisseaux, Simoneau, Bernard, Rodrigue) vs Victoriaville

The series will have to be pretty quick because I doubt they're gonna bring kids to Russia with them just to send them home the day before because someone else became available (unless they've done this before?)

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Excited to see Lafreniere hopefully we get to see a few other 2019 Krebs, Dach, Newhook, Byram

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Considering what Brock said about there being the possibility of players coming after the 2nd round, here are the potential players available:

WHL:
Moose Jaw (Woo) vs Swift Current
Lethbridge (Addison, Cozens) vs Brandon (Burzan)

OHL:
Sault Ste. Marie (Hayton) vs Owen Sound (Dudas)
Kitchener (Vallati) vs Sarnia
Niagara (Thomas) vs Hamilton
Barrie (Suzuki) vs Kingston

QMJHL:
Blainville-Boisbriand (Henman?) vs Moncton (MacDonald, Pelletier)
Acadie-Bathurst (Dobson) vs Sherbrooke (Poulin)
Halifax (Groulx, Lavoie, McIsaac, Gravel) vs Charlottetown
Drummondville (Veleno, Desruisseaux, Simoneau, Bernard, Rodrigue) vs Victoriaville

The series will have to be pretty quick because I doubt they're gonna bring kids to Russia with them just to send them home the day before because someone else became available (unless they've done this before?)

They have in the past left roster spots open, leave with 19-20 players and name 2 or 3 once the 2nd.rd is in the books.

Looking at it, I'd leave 3 roster spots open, assuming Addison, Cozens and Dudas are the 3 most likely to become available. They are not the 3 at the top of my wish list, but I don't see Woo, Hayton, Thomas, Groulx, Veleno or Dobson becoming available anytime soon. If any one of those 5 become available...then giddy up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad