Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Screen Shot 2022-04-01 at 3.13.18 PM.png

Which group is the trickiest?

Which one is the easiest of the bunch?

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Well done Canada on qualifying! I think you guys could definitely get out of your group!

Hopefully NZ get in with a win over Costa Rica, though our potential group E is terrifying. But I think if the boys get in they'll be absolutely stoked to play those teams, they're once in a lifetime fixtures for a nation like us.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
View attachment 525117

Easiest is probably Group A. Netherlands and Senegal will fight for 1st, the other 2nd, and then Qatar and Ecuador probably not a factor.

Toughest is probably Group B, especially if Wales advance. Group E got the big attention because of Spain and Germany but the other two teams aren't going to be too tough so it's not really a Group of Death in the traditional sense. If Wales get into Group B, a very good team will be out before the knockout stages.

My very early predictions:
Group A: Senegal and Netherlands
Group B: England, Wales if they advance, USA if not
Group C: Argentina and Mexico
Group D: France and Denmark
Group E: Spain and Germany
Group F: Belgium and Croatia
Group G: Brazil and Serbia
Group H: Portugal and Uruguay

Reactions: kanadalainen

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
View attachment 525117

No real Group of Death compared to years past. Statistically Group B appears to fall into that category, especially if Wales ends up in that group. I think based on overall form and a broader look at the rankings, it’s probably either Group C or E. I’m going with E, Japan will not be an easy out and poses a real threat to Spain and Germany.
Group A is the easiest.

Group A, Netherlands/Senegal
Group B, England/Wales or USA if no Wales.
Group C, Argentina/Poland
Group D, France/Denmark
Group E, Spain/Germany
Group F, Belgium/Croatia
Group G, Brazil/ Switzerland
Group H, Portugal/ Korea Republic

Best chances for big upsets are Canada edging out Croatia and Japan edging Germany.

Might revisit this after summer friendlies.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
With Belgium and Croatia, Canada couldn't have gotten a tougher draw (except Germany and Spain). Last team drawn too LOL.

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
So Belgium, Croatia, Morocco, Canada

2 pretty hefty teams
they say Croats and Belgiums are on the dow. swing of deep teams/golden era teams.

TSN talking heads say it is a good draw? I’ll admit I don’t know shit about soccer with current players.

Canada has a decent chance to get out of the group? I think sure why the heck not!🇨🇦

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think it is a good draw for us. We are fast and physical. If Belgium and Croatia both go with older teams I think they will underestimate us and playing fast/physical could see us getting a win early. Morocco is no slouch they were likely the best team out of Africa

Really going to come down to that first game and if we play like we can or if we are just happy to be there. The reality is this team was being built for the 2026 World cup and we are early which is a good thing

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

2 pretty hefty teams
they say Croats and Belgiums are on the dow. swing of deep teams/golden era teams.

TSN talking heads say it is a good draw? I’ll admit I don’t know shit about soccer with current players.

Canada has a decent chance to get out of the group? I think sure why the heck not!🇨🇦
TSN trying hard to spin it into a good draw but there is some truth to what they’re saying. Belgium and Croatia are comprised mostly of their top players being in their last run at a WC. Having said that, they are still very well drilled and tough teams full of talent, especially Belgium.
Canada’s best chance will come from being well organized defensively and be able to use their speed on the counter attack. They definitely won’t win the possession battle with either of those teams, so they need to be disciplined.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

2 pretty hefty teams

A, B, G or H would have been better, and I guess three would have been worse. So not too shabby upon reflection. I agree that Croatia is probably past their prime a bit. But Belgium won't be too far removed from #1 in the world.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
With Belgium and Croatia, Canada couldn't have gotten a tougher draw (except Germany and Spain). Last team drawn too LOL.

They definitely could've had it worse. Belgium to a point but Croatia especially are older teams and fading. Don't be fooled by FIFA rankings. Belgium are not the 2nd best team in the world. Any team from Pot A except Qatar would've been a very tough ask for Canada. Belgium is probably the best case of the remaining 7.

A win against Morocco is probably a successful WC for Canada. Even a point against Belgium/Croatia.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad