OT: Team Canada Soccer World Cup qualifiers

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
I'm not sure why the importance of a win was lost in them. Maybe they weren't aware of the implications of a loss for the world cup group draw. Somebody in the organization should have been making it clear though
I think they knew. They just played 3 games in 6 days and travelled 19,000kms. You need to rotate your squad, there is only so hard you can ride the same players. Depth is something Canada needs to keep building.
I don't think anyone is disappointed regardless of tonight's outcome. I'm sure not.

Reactions: kanadalainen

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
True dat. I have to day this is an awesome thing for soccer in Canada. It would have been nice if everything had come together for a more comfortable trip through the group stage... but just getting to the cup is a huge step we can all celebrate

Last edited:

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
So I think USA and Mexico are the worst Pot 2 teams. Both have inflated rankings to who they have played. We can not be grouped with them. By being in Pot 4 this almost guarantees us 2 Europe teams in our group that we will need to beat out to advance. Unless we get Brazil or Messi

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think they knew. They just played 3 games in 6 days and travelled 19,000kms. You need to rotate your squad, there is only so hard you can ride the same players. Depth is something Canada needs to keep building.
I don't think anyone is disappointed regardless of tonight's outcome. I'm sure not.

I'm surprised we didn't see more rotation last night. Pretty much went with all their starters.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I'm surprised we didn't see more rotation last night. Pretty much went with all their starters.
Well, no Osario, Larin, Laryea or Borjan.
Miller was rested against Jamaica, so it made sense he came back in and Kaye missed Jamaica because of his red card, so he also slotted back in.
Canada understandably wanted to finish things off against Jamaica, but arguably could have fielded a lesser team and went stronger against Panama. Their priority was qualification and not which pot they might end up in.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Didn't matter what they did they were always going to end up in pot 4. How in the world is Mexico the 9th ranked team in the world?

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Didn't matter what they did they were always going to end up in pot 4. How in the world is Mexico the 9th ranked team in the world?
Just played a year worth of qualifying finishing in first place with +7 goal differential over the last 14 matches against the top 8 in CONCACAF. Don't quite understand how Canada actually lost spots in rankings after the last set of matches. Canada should be the highest seeded team for the region based on 20 qualifying matches.

I guess in the FIFA rankings the last year of games that count mean absolutely nothing.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

They were in Pot 3 with a win last night. It doesn't actually matter too much, Pot 4 is going to have the playoff winners and there's some good teams in there like Wales and Peru. It was going to be tough either way.

The hope would be to get in Qatar's group and then maybe get Morocco as well?

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
Yes they were in Pot 3, ranked ahead of Tunisia. Dropping that game put tunisia ahead and they flipped pots for the draw. Yes they could have ended up in a grouo with Peru, advancing through the playoff, but more likely a lower ranked team. Who knows... maybe we'll get lucky and end up in Qatars group, completely avoiding the best 7 teams in the tournament!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Canada at +15000 to win the World Cup :laugh:
Obligatory
1648783534175.gif

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
God we couldn't even get into the Hex from 2002-2018 and finished in last place in the Hex in 1998.

Someone might have given Canada +15000 just to get into a World Cup a few years ago.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Alistair Johnson is one well spoken 23 year old. Makes most hockey players sound like grade schoolers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad