OT: Team Canada Soccer World Cup qualifiers

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Anybody following Team Canada's qualifying matches for the World Cup? Not a fan of soccer but enjoying watching this team. The boys played with a lot of heart with only 10 men after they got a red card. They can clinch the World Cup qualification on Sunday. Probably more exciting than watching the Jets these days.

Speaking of the red card, this dive put Canada down a man for the rest of the game:

Absolutely embarrassing for the Costa Rican player. I would be ashamed to show my face to my family if I did that in front of a global audience.

• Haha
Reactions: Jet and snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Anybody following Team Canada's qualifying matches for the World Cup? Not a fan of soccer but enjoying watching this team. The boys played with a lot of heart with only 10 men after they got a red card. They can clinch the World Cup qualification on Sunday. Probably more exciting than watching the Jets these days.

Speaking of the red card, this dive put Canada down a man for the rest of the game:

Absolutely embarrassing for the Costa Rican player. I would be ashamed to show my face to my family if I did that in front of a global audience.

Looks like he got by a sniper!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
The Costa Rican team literally has no honour. They were diving and flopping all night long, it was pathetic even by usual soccer standards.
Canada will clinch it Sunday. Hopefully can still get top spot in the group, as that will help their WC draw. The tie between the US and Mexico last night helped their cause.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
The Costa Rican team literally has no honour. They were diving and flopping all night long, it was pathetic even by usual soccer standards.
Canada will clinch it Sunday. Hopefully can still get top spot in the group, as that will help their WC draw. The tie between the US and Mexico last night helped their cause.

Yeah that was a disgraceful display. Refs should have brought out the old diving board and handed out those yellows like the snow that's falling now.

The top seed will help, but shouldn't be crucial. Agree that they will clinch on Sunday.

Reactions: surixon and Ducky10

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
I thought that FIFA had VAR's looking at the game - but I guess that's only for red cards (and goal-related errors)? Diving is a plague on the game, you'd think there would be a dedicated effort to wipe it out...

Institute an auto yellow card for every instance where a player grabs an untouched body part (in this case, the forehead) that you start with the next game. That would stop them... Still have to be careful in championship games, but divers would generally not make it that far...

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I thought that FIFA had VAR's looking at the game - but I guess that's only for red cards (and goal-related errors)? Diving is a plague on the game, you'd think there would be a dedicated effort to wipe it out...

Institute an auto yellow card for every instance where a player grabs an untouched body part (in this case, the forehead) that you start with the next game. That would stop them... Still have to be careful in championship games, but divers would generally not make it that far...

That's right -- no VAR for your routine diving, but even by international footie standards that was egregious, and slowed the match to a crawl.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The dive was bad but Kaye needs to control himself a bit better. He got a deserved yellow card before that and he should know what CONCACAF teams are like. He put himself in the position to get the yellow there.

Speaking of, Costa Rica did nothing unusual last night. Most of the CONCACAF teams do that. Lots of time wasting, diving, surrounding the referee begging for cards to be given out. It's been a big problem with this region for a very long time. That, and the quality of the officiating is very suspect.

VAR can't look at this stuff. It would slow to a crawl looking at every incident to see if a foul actually occured. Even then, a lot of dives are the result of actual fouls. Soccer has had another issue, which is refs won't call a foul if the player doesn't go down, even if it results in a lost advantage for the team being fouled. What about incidents where a shirt is tugged in the penalty area but the player spins and collapses dramatically? Does it change the fact that a foul occurred? No.

The worst part about last night was that they ended up only needing a point and almost got the tying goal. Now they can clinch against Jamaica, at home. The US-Mexico result last night means that a win should put Canada in 1st overall in the group despite what they do in Panama next Wednesday (which is a tough place to play), which puts them in Pot 3 for the WC draw and they can avoid being the minnows of the group.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

It's one of the reasons that I have a hard time getting into soccer. The antics are embarrassing, still Kaye shouldn't have even put himself in that spot given he was on a yellow.

The team even at 10 men could have easily got a result, they dominated the second half and had about 4 glorious looks that they couldn't convert.

They will book their ticket against Jamica next game imo.

Reactions: jungles

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
Canada dominated the second half, and honestly deserved to tie or even win that game, even a man down. Buchanan has nice foot work, but his crosses into the box often don't have much purpose behind them.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Unfortunately, that is commonplace in the beautiful game.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The dive was bad but Kaye needs to control himself a bit better. He got a deserved yellow card before that and he should know what CONCACAF teams are like. He put himself in the position to get the yellow there.

Speaking of, Costa Rica did nothing unusual last night. Most of the CONCACAF teams do that. Lots of time wasting, diving, surrounding the referee begging for cards to be given out. It's been a big problem with this region for a very long time. That, and the quality of the officiating is very suspect.

VAR can't look at this stuff. It would slow to a crawl looking at every incident to see if a foul actually occured. Even then, a lot of dives are the result of actual fouls. Soccer has had another issue, which is refs won't call a foul if the player doesn't go down, even if it results in a lost advantage for the team being fouled. What about incidents where a shirt is tugged in the penalty area but the player spins and collapses dramatically? Does it change the fact that a foul occurred? No.

The worst part about last night was that they ended up only needing a point and almost got the tying goal. Now they can clinch against Jamaica, at home. The US-Mexico result last night means that a win should put Canada in 1st overall in the group despite what they do in Panama next Wednesday (which is a tough place to play), which puts them in Pot 3 for the WC draw and they can avoid being the minnows of the group.
REALLY important to clinch vs Jamaica. Exciting times for soccer fans!

Reactions: surixon

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

I don't think anyone is saying they did anything unusual, more just saying it's the usual. Central and South American teams are well known for their antics, but it doesn't make it any more palatable, particularly to the casual fan. The reffing in CONCACAF is brutal, not suspect and it makes virtually no use of it's linesmen to assist in fouls.
There are numerous ideas FIFA could consider to minimize diving, but like many sports they are far to traditional and arrogant to fully accept it's a problem. The costs for diving are essentially nil, the rewards very high. It's no coincidence the vast majority of dives occur closer to goal. The majority of actual fouls in and around the 18 yard box come of set pieces in the form of obstruction and holding. Ironically also missed by referees.

Retroactive punishent for clear embellishment, more video assistance, while slowing the game down initially might actually help long term if players begin to realize there will be consequences. More referees, particularly around goal (actually being tried in some areas I believe).

Diving, while around forever, is still a scourge on the game. I don't believe that the propensity for diving comes from a lack of will by the referee to call fouls otherwise. It stems from the reward for doing so being far greater than any potential punishment.

Reactions: surixon

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
The reffing in CONCACAF is brutal,
Yep, historically, reffing in CONCACAF is why the confederation is also known as CONCACRAP.

(sigh) Canada, we needed you to do us a solid and beat the Ticos last night. Alas, it was not to be. Hopefully, results go the way both US and Canada want this weekend and we both sew up a spot in the World Cup.

Reactions: Ducky10

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think anyone is saying they did anything unusual, more just saying it's the usual. Central and South American teams are well known for their antics, but it doesn't make it any more palatable, particularly to the casual fan. The reffing in CONCACAF is brutal, not suspect and it makes virtually no use of it's linesmen to assist in fouls.
There are numerous ideas FIFA could consider to minimize diving, but like many sports they are far to traditional and arrogant to fully accept it's a problem. The costs for diving are essentially nil, the rewards very high. It's no coincidence the vast majority of dives occur closer to goal. The majority of actual fouls in and around the 18 yard box come of set pieces in the form of obstruction and holding. Ironically also missed by referees.

Retroactive punishent for clear embellishment, more video assistance, while slowing the game down initially might actually help long term if players begin to realize there will be consequences. More referees, particularly around goal (actually being tried in some areas I believe).

Diving, while around forever, is still a scourge on the game. I don't believe that the propensity for diving comes from a lack of will by the referee to call fouls otherwise. It stems from the reward for doing so being far greater than any potential punishment.

Retroactive punishment doesn't do anything. Players will still do it at important times. Last night was a huge game for Costa Rica to stay alive for the top 4 spots. They'd take a retroactive punishment and worry about the next game later. We see it in the NHL too. Fines for embellishment aren't really a huge issue for players making this much money.

Referees around goal was before VAR and more for not denying goals a la Lampard in WC2010. If it's back because of foul concerns then I'm not aware of it.

Plenty of former players say you have to go to ground to get a call or the ref won't call it. Especially if it's something close to goal, which is another reason why you see it. Of course it's not the only reason or even the primary reason, but it's definitely enough of a factor to consider it.

I'm heavily against using video in game to check for diving unless they're reviewing a potential penalty call or something. We already see time wasting techniques aplenty, that would be easy to game and waste time with. It's not enough of a problem to drastically change the way the game is played, even if it's a big concern.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Yes it was embellished but Kaye almost got a straight red before that. Very undisciplined play

As for who said we are in pot 3 with a win I believe it's on World rankings not placement in qualifying

Reactions: GreatSaveEssensa

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes it was embellished but Kaye almost got a straight red before that. Very undisciplined play

As for who said we are in pot 3 with a win I believe it's on World rankings not placement in qualifying

Canada is doing well enough in the world rankings right now that winning the group should move them up into that vicinity, especially given there are still lots of qualifying spots to fill. It's not a guarantee but it's a good chance.

Reactions: SCP Guy

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005

That was a typical night in Central America. Its why its so difficult to advance and very likely why we don't see any real good teams out of Concacaf even Mexico.

South American teams stopped doing this in the 70s and they have had so much success because of it. Its a shame because there some real good players in Central America who get ruined by playing this style

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Canada is doing well enough in the world rankings right now that winning the group should move them up into that vicinity, especially given there are still lots of qualifying spots to fill. It's not a guarantee but it's a good chance.

19 teams have qualified and we are above only 2 so far the Saudis and Ecuador (Qatar doesn't count as they get a pot one slot for hosting)

That loss last night will hurt our ranking

Right or wrong USA and Mexico will get a better shot at pot 3

FonRiesen

Sep 28, 2017
Vancouver Island
Retroactive punishment doesn't do anything. Players will still do it at important times. Last night was a huge game for Costa Rica to stay alive for the top 4 spots. They'd take a retroactive punishment and worry about the next game later. We see it in the NHL too. Fines for embellishment aren't really a huge issue for players making this much money.

Referees around goal was before VAR and more for not denying goals a la Lampard in WC2010. If it's back because of foul concerns then I'm not aware of it.

Plenty of former players say you have to go to ground to get a call or the ref won't call it. Especially if it's something close to goal, which is another reason why you see it. Of course it's not the only reason or even the primary reason, but it's definitely enough of a factor to consider it.

I'm heavily against using video in game to check for diving unless they're reviewing a potential penalty call or something. We already see time wasting techniques aplenty, that would be easy to game and waste time with. It's not enough of a problem to drastically change the way the game is played, even if it's a big concern.
I don't think stopping for video review is as useful as having a live "eye in the sky" ref monitoring feeds who can communicate in real time with the on-pitch refs. So not slowing down the game, but able to constantly talk. The tech is there to make it work. Needs some training and teamwork.

Part of the issue is that it seems like many players also think that 'fooling the ref' is a legit strategy that gives them an edge. But as others have said, refs need to call actual fouls even when the targeted player doesn't flail around like a spastic marionette.

Anyway, nice that Canada actually has a decent team!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

Retroactive punishment doesn’t have to be fines. Plenty of players also bemoan the lack of honour in the game and the increase in going to ground, especially in the box. It’s easy to cynically dismiss ways to change the culture, but it’s an embarrassment to soccer, especially international soccer that’s it’s gotten to where it has.
Comparing it to the NHL is just silly, we’re taking about a league that simply refuses to enforce its rules in any meaningful way.
Referees around goal have been used recently in Champions League.
I’d argue given enough time and implementation, video review of theatrical fouls enough to warrant yellow cards, would ultimately speed up the game. Either that or have a time limit someone can roll around on the ground before they have to leave the field for medical treatment. The amount of time on review would pale in comparison to the length of stoppages due to feigned injury.
The sport spends inordinate amounts of time trying to determine if a players shoelace was offside, but does little to deter what many perceive to be out and out cheating.

It will never disappear, but policing it can improve. They shouldn’t stop trying.

Reactions: FonRiesen

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
It will be a pretty chilly afternoon in TO for our Jamaican visitors :thumbu:
1648242404498.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad