Olympics: Team Canada 2022 (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
How would you guys form our PP1 and PP2?
PP1

(Left side overload)

Blueline: Makar
Left side board off hand: MacKinnon
Below the goal line: Stone
Bumper: Crosby
Right side board off hand: McDavid

this alignment might seem odd but when you concentrate everything on the left side it gives McDavid time and space to loop out of the zone and come back in with speed, freeing him of any potential shadow

PP2

1-3-1

QB: Pietrangelo
Left hand offside: Stamkos
Middle: Bergeron
Right hand offside: Huberdeau
Front of the net: Marchand

several options, off hand one timer to Stamkos or the classic bumper play that Marchand and Bergeron run in Boston

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Huberdeau-McDavid-Mackinnon
Marchand-Bergeron-Crosby
Barzal-Point-Marner
Mangiapane-O'Rielly-Stone

Extra: Stamkos, Schiefele

-Huberdeau is perfect playmaking winger for McDavid, McD and Mac had nice chemistry in World Cup of Hockey together. 2 best players in world arguably on same line
-World Cup Line that was best in tournament
-Point and Marner had great chemistry in past World Championships
-ROR in middle with defensively reliable Stone and Mangiapane that can PK. I think Canada goes young and we see players like Mangiapane (on fire to start season) make roster.

Chychrun-Makar
Theodore-Pietrangelo
Weegar-Ekblad

Extra: Hamilton, Pelech

-Love Chychrun as ideal partner for Maker over Toews, Pelech, Nurse, etc.
-Great chemistry and teammates in Vegas
-Dynamic pair, great chemistry, FL teammates and so underrated
Pelech has a plus 4 on a team where no one has a plus minus above 0. That says a lot right there

86Habs

May 4, 2009
This is my projected roster at the moment, recognizing that there is still a little over a month of hockey to be played before the roster is announced:

O'Reilly / McDavid / Stamkos
Marchand / Crosby / Bergeron
Huberdeau / MacKinnon / Stone
Dubois / Point / Marner
Couturier, Mangiapane

Theodore / Pietrangelo
Pelech / Makar
Weegar / Ekblad
Doughty, Chabot

Price
Binnington
Fleury

Forwards:
1st line: O'Reilly can assume the center's defensive responsibilities down low, take faceoffs on his strong side (~58%), and get the dirty work done along the words without giving up much offensively. And Stamkos is the finisher (and would take faceoffs on his strong side - 53%), with the two complementary linemates giving McDavid the ability to control the puck and the space to create offensively.
2nd line: Possession line, and our primary defensive/matchup line. This line would take most defensive zone starts (and certainly any critical d-zone starts), with two of the best faceoff men in the league on both sides of the ice (Bergeron is an absurd 62% so far this year). They would fulfill the same role as the Toews/Marleau/Carter line in 2014, and Toews/Richards/Nash in 2010, and would get as many minutes as the McDavid line in tight games.
3rd line: A very strong offensive line that can take advantage of favourable matchups. A recreation of MacKinnon's line in Colorado, with an all-around offensive threat on one side and a rugged, 200-foot player on the other.
4th line: Point on the 4th line is certainly a luxury, and Cooper should have no hesitation about playing these guys in any situation. I'd look for them to get a little more ice time than Babcock's 4th lines. Somewhat unorthodox in terms of the playmaking coming from the wing position, but Marner and Point have played together before and Dubois provides the size and physicality to offset the two smaller players. Marner is a question mark, but in a more limited role where he's not counted on to be the top producer, I have confidence he'll find a way to contribute offensively and will - at the very least - provide solid defensive play and penalty killing.
Extras: Mangiapane can slot in on the wing on any line, and while others are off to better starts I like Couturier's ability to step into the center position and provide stability and minimal line shuffling in the event of injury. Kyrou, Barzal, and Scheifele would certainly merit consideration here too, especially Kyrou if we wanted to bring along more speed and offense from the wing position. Consider him my 15th forward.

Overall, this will be a strong forward group. More natural wingers than is normal too, and the centers I would have playing the wing - O'Reilly, Bergeron, and Dubois - have done so for Canada before, internationally. The only real concern I have is with the age of our 2nd line forwards - Crosby and Bergeron are undoubtedly a little long in the tooth, but they've proven they're still good to go imo. I would still have no concern sending them out against Matthews, Ovechkin, etc. and would expect them to win those matchups. Might be a different story a year from now. A secondary, more minor concern, is lack of faceoff prowess on the 3rd and 4th lines, which is kind of a new problem for us (and stems from having more natural wingers on the team). I'd look to having guys like Stamkos, Bergeron, O'Reilly and Crosby help out in this area if/when needed.

Defence:
Overall, the pairings kind of speak for themselves. I still like Doughty and would have him in the 6-man rotation, but we're fairly deep on the right side. Moving Pietrangelo to his off side is an option, but regardless the pairings will work themselves out as the tournament progresses. I wouldn't expect Chabot to play much, but he is a LHS option and an absolute workhorse in Ottawa. Nurse, Toews and Reilly - all LHS - would merit consideration as the 8th defenceman as well.

Reactions: Clippy and JMac13

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is my projected roster at the moment, recognizing that there is still a little over a month of hockey to be played before the roster is announced:

O'Reilly / McDavid / Stamkos
Marchand / Crosby / Bergeron
Huberdeau / MacKinnon / Stone
Dubois / Point / Marner
Couturier, Mangiapane

Theodore / Pietrangelo
Pelech / Makar
Weegar / Ekblad
Doughty, Chabot

Price
Binnington
Fleury

Forwards:
1st line: O'Reilly can assume the center's defensive responsibilities down low, take faceoffs on his strong side (~58%), and get the dirty work done along the words without giving up much offensively. And Stamkos is the finisher (and would take faceoffs on his strong side - 53%), with the two complementary linemates giving McDavid the ability to control the puck and the space to create offensively.
2nd line: Possession line, and our primary defensive/matchup line. This line would take most defensive zone starts (and certainly any critical d-zone starts), with two of the best faceoff men in the league on both sides of the ice (Bergeron is an absurd 62% so far this year). They would fulfill the same role as the Toews/Marleau/Carter line in 2014, and Toews/Richards/Nash in 2010, and would get as many minutes as the McDavid line in tight games.
3rd line: A very strong offensive line that can take advantage of favourable matchups. A recreation of MacKinnon's line in Colorado, with an all-around offensive threat on one side and a rugged, 200-foot player on the other.
4th line: Point on the 4th line is certainly a luxury, and Cooper should have no hesitation about playing these guys in any situation. I'd look for them to get a little more ice time than Babcock's 4th lines. Somewhat unorthodox in terms of the playmaking coming from the wing position, but Marner and Point have played together before and Dubois provides the size and physicality to offset the two smaller players. Marner is a question mark, but in a more limited role where he's not counted on to be the top producer, I have confidence he'll find a way to contribute offensively and will - at the very least - provide solid defensive play and penalty killing.
Extras: Mangiapane can slot in on the wing on any line, and while others are off to better starts I like Couturier's ability to step into the center position and provide stability and minimal line shuffling in the event of injury. Kyrou, Barzal, and Scheifele would certainly merit consideration here too, especially Kyrou if we wanted to bring along more speed and offense from the wing position. Consider him my 15th forward.

Overall, this will be a strong forward group. More natural wingers than is normal too, and the centers I would have playing the wing - O'Reilly, Bergeron, and Dubois - have done so for Canada before, internationally. The only real concern I have is with the age of our 2nd line forwards - Crosby and Bergeron are undoubtedly a little long in the tooth, but they've proven they're still good to go imo. I would still have no concern sending them out against Matthews, Ovechkin, etc. and would expect them to win those matchups. Might be a different story a year from now. A secondary, more minor concern, is lack of faceoff prowess on the 3rd and 4th lines, which is kind of a new problem for us (and stems from having more natural wingers on the team). I'd look to having guys like Stamkos, Bergeron, O'Reilly and Crosby help out in this area if/when needed.

Defence:
Overall, the pairings kind of speak for themselves. I still like Doughty and would have him in the 6-man rotation, but we're fairly deep on the right side. Moving Pietrangelo to his off side is an option, but regardless the pairings will work themselves out as the tournament progresses. I wouldn't expect Chabot to play much, but he is a LHS option and an absolute workhorse in Ottawa. Nurse, Toews and Reilly - all LHS - would merit consideration as the 8th defenceman as well.

I like the roster, to the point that I think I've even used those top three lines before. I'm not totally sold on Weegar and Mangiapane right now but those are very minor points. Dubois is a nice theoretical fit with Point and Marner as well. The way things are right now I'm sort of expecting Kyrou to make the team stemming from the Armstrong connection.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I like the roster, to the point that I think I've even used those top three lines before. I'm not totally sold on Weegar and Mangiapane right now but those are very minor points. The way things are right now I'm sort of expecting Kyrou to make the team stemming from the Armstrong connection.
I have a real hard time seeing kyrou making this team. Team Canada’s center depth is through the roof. Is he going to take a spot from couturier? Or Dubois? Because those are the types of guys he’s competing with.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I have a real hard time seeing kyrou making this team. Team Canada’s center depth is through the roof. Is he going to take a spot from couturier? Or Dubois? Because those are the types of guys he’s competing with.

I could see Armstrong picking his own player over Couturier or Dubois. Armstrong isn't the sole voice in the process, but he is the biggest voice and he has specifically talked up Kyrou before. Armstrong put Kyrou on the long list after he only had 35 points last year with a single point in the playoffs. He's currently over a point a game this season. I think that he gets a long look whether most of us agree or not.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I could see Armstrong picking his own player over Couturier or Dubois. Armstrong isn't the sole voice in the process, but he is the biggest voice and he has specifically talked up Kyrou before. Armstrong put Kyrou on the long list after he only had 35 points last year with a single point in the playoffs. He's currently over a point a game this season. I think that he gets a long look whether most of us agree or not.
I don’t disagree that Armstrong has final say on the roster, but it’s not going to be a good look if RoR, binnington, kyrou and parayko all make the team. I guess the nhl should just stand for the nepotism hockey league. Holland will be say to Armstrong, well if you can have 4 guys on the roster, then we should add nurse and Hyman. If all that happens, expect a 2006 repeat.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I like the roster, to the point that I think I've even used those top three lines before. I'm not totally sold on Weegar and Mangiapane right now but those are very minor points. Dubois is a nice theoretical fit with Point and Marner as well. The way things are right now I'm sort of expecting Kyrou to make the team stemming from the Armstrong connection.

Yeah, there are various configurations with that same forward group that would result in well-constructed lines. I think its important that the linemates complement each other in terms of their skillsets, there is some balance in faceoff capability, there is at least one forward with a strong defensive acumen on each line, and, subjectively, someone on the line adds a presence that makes the line difficult to play against. I like players playing on their proper wing, and I like converted centers --> wingers to have at least some proven ability to play the wing at the NHL or international level.

Kyrou is playing a lot on the wing these days, and I would envision him at RW on Team Canada. I would say he's more likely in competition with Mangiapane, Stamkos and perhaps Marner at this point.

86Habs

May 4, 2009
I don’t disagree that Armstrong has final say on the roster, but it’s not going to be a good look if RoR, binnington, kyrou and parayko all make the team. I guess the nhl should just stand for the nepotism hockey league. Holland will be say to Armstrong, well if you can have 4 guys on the roster, then we should add nurse and Hyman. If all that happens, expect a 2006 repeat.

This is honestly a bit conspiracy theorist if you ask me. I trust that Armstrong (and Holland) want, more than anything, to construct a team that wins us the gold medal. Armstrong has no history of favoring his own players when serving on Team Canada management teams before (as much as we sometimes joke about it on here, or question guys like Bouwmeester...he was a legit Olympic-caliber defenceman). At some point, there are simply better players who cannot be replaced by an inferior Blues or Oilers player. Of the players you named, only Hyman (and Perron, who you didn't name but I guess falls into the same category of player) would truly be a surprise and a poor selection. Everyone else has a case, from very strong/near-lock (O'Reilly, Binnington) to being on the bubble (Nurse) or a 13th/14th spare replacement forward (Kyrou

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

There is a history of stuff like that. Canada didn't really need Gregg, Huddy, and Lowe from the Oilers back when Sather picked the team in 1984 and Tocchet and especially Crossman were pet projects for Keenan in 1987. Even in 2002 I highly doubt that Brewer (who had a good tournament) makes the Olympic team if Kevin Lowe wasn't part of the management group and openly campaigning for him. As things stand I think O'Reilly should make any team, even with pedestrian production right now. I've liked Parayko in the past but this doesn't look like this year is his. If Kyrou is still around a point per game and leading St. Louis in a month's time I could see Armstrong really giving a push. I wouldn't pick him, but he also wouldn't be a horrible selection.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, there are various configurations with that same forward group that would result in well-constructed lines. I think its important that the linemates complement each other in terms of their skillsets, there is some balance in faceoff capability, there is at least one forward with a strong defensive acumen on each line, and, subjectively, someone on the line adds a presence that makes the line difficult to play against. I like players playing on their proper wing, and I like converted centers --> wingers to have at least some proven ability to play the wing at the NHL or international level.

Kyrou is playing a lot on the wing these days, and I would envision him at RW on Team Canada. I would say he's more likely in competition with Mangiapane, Stamkos and perhaps Marner at this point.

Realistically at this point I think that your listed top 9 forwards plus Point are locks. There are a few possible variations on lines but most of them look decent. The flexibility of guys like O'Reilly, Stamkos and Bergeron to play the wing makes things a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad