Morgan Rielly-Dougie Hamilton
Aaron Ekblad
Extra: Bowen Byram

GOALIES
Carey Price
Jordan Binnington
Extra: Mackenzie Blackwood

The Bowen Byram pick is bold... ill leave it at that
That Binnington pick is bold how has he been outside his one cup win?

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Projecting Team Canada’s 2022 Olympic men’s hockey roster

Sportsnet's projected roster:

FORWARDS
Nathan MacKinnon-Connor McDavid-Mitch Marner
Brad Marchand-Sidney Crosby-Patrice Bergeron
Jonathan Huberdeau-Brayden Point-Mark Stone
John Tavares-Sean Couturier-Steven Stamkos
Mark Scheifele
Extra: Mathew Barzal

Shea Theodore-Alex Pietrangelo
Thomas Chabot-Cale Makar
Aaron Ekblad

GOALIES
Carey Price
Jordan Binnington

I don’t see this as being accurate. Considering kuemper just backstopped Canada at the worlds to a gold, I see him making this team. Pelech makes this team. RoR makes this team cause Armstrong is the gm

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
I don’t see this as being accurate. Considering kuemper just backstopped Canada at the worlds to a gold, I see him making this team. Pelech makes this team. RoR makes this team cause Armstrong is the gm

Yeah, I think ROR makes the team on merit - with or without Armstrong as TC GM.

Reactions: Brett44

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
He might make it without Armstrong, I’d say he would be a favourite but not a lock. Armstrong just makes it a lock lol

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Forwards:

MacKinnon - McDavid - Marner : The dream of putting McDavid and MacKinnon together comes true combined with one of the most creative wingers in the game.
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron : Reuniting the best line from 2016 who are still playing hockey at the highest level.
Barzal - Point - Stone : Would love to see Barzal released from a more rigid Isles system. Complete line that rivals first lines on most other teams.
Tavares- O'Reilly - Stamkos : Reuniting the strong second line from 2016 with the two-way force O'Reilly (another returnee) taking Getzlaf's old spot.
Huberdeau, Couturier : Was really torn on putting Huberdeau in Barzal's spot and might switch back. Couts gives you a complete player that can slot in anywhere if need be.

It's all a work in progress of course and every line is defensively responsible(5 of the top 10 in Selke voting on the team)

Where is Toews going to fit in if he is healthy and performing well?

D:
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Makar
Rielly - Ekblad
Pelech - Weeger
Muzzin - Doughty
Nurse - Hamilton
Toews - Chychrun

Still not sure how Canada is going to pick here with so many viable candidates. Gonna have to really think about this one myself.

Goalies
Price : Elite performance in last year's playoffs shows Canada's number one still has it in big games.
Fleury: Still playing great hockey and would probably be his last appearance.
Kuemper: Leading Canada to gold at the worlds and strong NHL performance have put him on the map.

Reactions: Leaves34

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
My lines:

Scheifele - McDavid - Stone
Huberdeau - MacKinnon - Marner
Marchand - Crosby - Bergeron
Couturier - O'Reilly - Point
Barzal

Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Ekblad
Nurse - Makar
Rielly

Price
Kuemper

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Just stopped by to say Chychrun is really underrated on here. Out of the three projections on this page, only one included Chychrun—and he was 14th on the defense depth chart.

I'd argue he's our 2nd best LD behind Theodore, and even then, he's not far off.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Projecting Team Canada’s 2022 Olympic men’s hockey roster

Sportsnet's projected roster:

FORWARDS
Nathan MacKinnon-Connor McDavid-Mitch Marner
Brad Marchand-Sidney Crosby-Patrice Bergeron
Jonathan Huberdeau-Brayden Point-Mark Stone
John Tavares-Sean Couturier-Steven Stamkos
Mark Scheifele
Extra: Mathew Barzal

Shea Theodore-Alex Pietrangelo
Thomas Chabot-Cale Makar
Aaron Ekblad

GOALIES
Carey Price
Jordan Binnington

Well, they're certainly pushing the Toronto narrative with Tavares and Rielly being on the team. O'Reilly's a notable omission up front, while I'd be concerned with our LD if Rielly's one of the best 3 we have available.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Just stopped by to say Chychrun is really underrated on here. Out of the three projections on this page, only one included Chychrun—and he was 14th on the defense depth chart.

I'd argue he's our 2nd best LD behind Theodore, and even then, he's not far off.
I agree. I'd easily put him ahead of Morgan Rielly, Dougie Hamilton
and Aaron Ekblad.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I agree. I'd easily put him ahead of Morgan Rielly, Dougie Hamilton
and Aaron Ekblad.
Well, now that you mention him, I'd suggest that Aaron Ekblad too is quite underrated. He was in the Norris conversation until he got injured this year and doesn't seem to get the respect he deserves. My top-6 would look like this:

Chychrun - Makar
Theodore - Pietrangelo
Chabot - Ekblad

Nurse, Doughty, Hamilton, Pelech, and Weegar would be in the conversation as well.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England

In the old thread I had him on as well, I think he’s a much better option than Reilly or Nurse on LHD, better from the point, better in front of his own net, better at breaking up plays with aggressive gaps

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
For me

Bergeron-Crosby-Marchand

not much explaining to do, best line at the last best on best and their point totals remain relatively the same in the NHL

Scheifele-McDavid-Huberdeau

I had a bit of a difficult time deciding who McDavid should play with; Scheifele has a deadly offside one timer and has familiarity with him from team NA and Huberdeau has top 10 vision in the league, so he could really exploit the space McDavid opens up by backing off defensemen with his speed.

Barzal-MacKinnon-Point

The fastest line perhaps ever, this line creates real matchup nightmares since they would be a third line. Barzal gets more freedom then he does in Long Island and should break out between the dynamism of MacKinnon and the 200 foot elite ability of Brayden Point

Couturier-O’Reilly-Stone

Selke line with all players possessing over or near a point a game, this line theoretically should be able to muzzle Ovechkin Matthews etc and whatever other stars Canada might face, and can provide physicality if needed

Marner

originally had him in Barzal’s spot but a 2 straight poor playoff performances sees him demoted to the 13th forward, can be used for PK

Theodore-Pietrangelo

Though they don’t actually play together in Vegas, they have familiarity and Pietranagelo was the best player on the ice against Montréal from either team, suggesting his initial struggles in Vegas are nothing to worry about

Toews(this could be Pelech)-Makar

The best pair in the NHL last season. Makar has a legitimate claim to be the defensemen in the world, and Toews plays a Vlasic type role by smothering attackers. Adam Pelech could also be taken here, but for familiarity I go with Toews

Chychrun-Hamilton

Chychrun would have been 5th on my Norris ballot last year, he was fantastic. Has a bomb from the point and is a physical unit. Hamilton, though somewhat understated in my opinion, is a good first pass defenseman who avoids turnovers and has good vision from the blue line

Ekblad
Chabot

Chabot, though a bit of train wreck in his own end, walks the line better than anyone not named Cale Makar in the league, can be used a 7th defenseman for power plays. Ekblad is a worthy replacement for anyone in this team should their be injuries, was on his way to a high Norris finish prior to his injury.

Price
Fleury
Keumper

Price showed in the spring that when he cares, he’s still a top goaltender in the world. Fleury backs up as Vézina winner and Kuemper gets a gentleman’s selection from Hockey Canada for having gone to live in a Latvian youth hostel for a month and winning gold

Reactions: Linds and Dominance

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
For me

Bergeron-Crosby-Marchand

not much explaining to do, best line at the last best on best and their point totals remain relatively the same in the NHL

I had a bit of a difficult time deciding who McDavid should play with; Scheifele has a deadly offside one timer and has familiarity with him from team NA and Huberdeau has top 10 vision in the league, so he could really exploit the space McDavid opens up by backing off defensemen with his speed.

Barzal-MacKinnon-Point

The fastest line perhaps ever, this line creates real matchup nightmares since they would be a third line. Barzal gets more freedom then he does in Long Island and should break out between the dynamism of MacKinnon and the 200 foot elite ability of Brayden Point

Couturier-O’Reilly-Stone

Selke line with all players possessing over or near a point a game, this line theoretically should be able to muzzle Ovechkin Matthews etc and whatever other stars Canada might face, and can provide physicality if needed

Marner

originally had him in Barzal’s spot but a 2 straight poor playoff performances sees him demoted to the 13th forward, can be used for PK

Theodore-Pietrangelo

Though they don’t actually play together in Vegas, they have familiarity and Pietranagelo was the best player on the ice against Montréal from either team, suggesting his initial struggles in Vegas are nothing to worry about

The best pair in the NHL last season. Makar has a legitimate claim to be the defensemen in the world, and Toews plays a Vlasic type role by smothering attackers. Adam Pelech could also be taken here, but for familiarity I go with Toews

Chychrun-Hamilton

Chychrun would have been 5th on my Norris ballot last year, he was fantastic. Has a bomb from the point and is a physical unit. Hamilton, though somewhat understated in my opinion, is a good first pass defenseman who avoids turnovers and has good vision from the blue line

Ekblad
Chabot

Chabot, though a bit of train wreck in his own end, walks the line better than anyone not named Cale Makar in the league, can be used a 7th defenseman for power plays. Ekblad is a worthy replacement for anyone in this team should their be injuries, was on his way to a high Norris finish prior to his injury.

Price
Fleury
Keumper

Price showed in the spring that when he cares, he’s still a top goaltender in the world. Fleury backs up as Vézina winner and Kuemper gets a gentleman’s selection from Hockey Canada for having gone to live in a Latvian youth hostel for a month and winning gold
Nice job.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
For me

Bergeron-Crosby-Marchand

Barzal-MacKinnon-Point

Couturier-O’Reilly-Stone

Marner

Theodore-Pietrangelo

Chychrun-Hamilton

Ekblad
Chabot

Price
Fleury
Keumper

Likely the best projection I’ve seen on here, you saved yourself by at least putting pelech in brackets. I firmly believe it’ll be pelech with makar.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
A lot of people like the idea of a O'Reilly Couturier Stone line but I'm not really big on it. Seems like a waste of resources to some degree. If you have Couturier and Stone on a line, there isn't going to be all that much left for the LW to do defensively. It's probably better to have a guy who can carry the line offensively in the other spot. The main advantage of O'Reilly on the wing is that he can more or less take care of the defensive responsibilities of one of Canada's centres while allowing that player to dictate the offence from the middle of the ice. Canada can throw out an elite defensive forward with viable best on best offence on every single forward line depending on the line combinations. No other country can come close to that.

At the moment I would have all three of them on the team, with OReilly and Stone as locks, but not as a line. The line would probably be quite good but it might not make for the best whole forward group.

Reactions: Regal

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
I’ve seen some proposals with stone with mcdavid, that’s a pretty good idea, huberdeau-mcdavid-stone is well balanced.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
From the previous thread....

I actually do think that chemistry with McDavid would be the main reason to bring Nurse over. Hyman might reach that too.

But that assumes that Nurse at least reaches the minimum value of #1D that he reached last season of course. But, beyond that, there is such a huge margin for error because it is impossible to compare players out of context, or to account for that context.

Why would Canada want to bring the chemistry of the edmonton Oilers to the Olympics This?

This is what team Canada learned after the failure of 1998, where the plan was to treat it like a video game and throw together the best players. They found success by putting priority on chemistry and role over objective quality.

What?

1998 was infamous for the opposite reason - the hilarious decision to bring "checkers" like Rob Zamuner and Shayne Corson and Linden and primeau and foote along while leaving skill like Oates, Allison, Francis, Turgeon, Niedermayer behind.

Here's the top ppg Canadian scorers the previous 2yrs (min 100gms) - asterisk means they made team canada:

1. Lindros* 1.30
2. Gretzky* 1.14
3. Turgeon 1.11
4. Francis 1.09
5. Sakic* 1.06
6. Yzerman* 0.99
7. Oates 0.98
8. Messier 0.94
9. Recchi* 0.94
10. Gilmour 0.94
11. Shanahan* 0.93
12. Fleury* 0.89
13. Damphousse 0.89
14. Nieuwendyk* 0.86
15. Brind'Amour* 0.81

22. Primeau* 0.73

36. Linden* 0.67

40. Corson* 0.66

76. Zamuner* 0.48

1. Bourque* 0.68
2. Duchesne 0.65
3. MacInnis* 0.64
4. Murphy 0.60
5. Sydor 0.58
6. Niedermayer 0.57
7. Blake* 0.57
8. Coffey 0.55
9. Wooley 0.54
10. Galley 0.52
11. Desjardins* 0.50
12. Chiasson 0.49
13. Pronger* 0.44
14. Brisebois 0.41
15. Boucher 0.39

28. Stevens* 0.31

43. Foote* 0.25

Not sure you could have picked a worse tournament as your example tbh.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well, they're certainly pushing the Toronto narrative with Tavares and Rielly being on the team. O'Reilly's a notable omission up front, while I'd be concerned with our LD if Rielly's one of the best 3 we have available.

For the record, this post is the only one bringing a "leafs narrative" into this thread, and it's an anti-leafs narrative.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad