Olympics: Team Canada 2018 Roster discussion

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Call me crazy, but this is one of the reasons I think Karl Alzner might get some love as the final D.

L shot, and about as good defensively as you can get.

Brodie, Giordano, Keith, Muzzin, Alzner, Vlasic. I think any of these guys would be considered. Vlasic is probably the most likely.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Perry and Carter won't be on that team.

This, I also think better options exist then Johansen for that team.

I dont even know if Bergeron would for sure make it. Would not be surprised to see Canada opt for the young Oreilly or Couturier over Bergy in 2 years from now.

Also dont think Rielly would be the 8th Dman. Much better options would be available. Brodie, Muzzin,

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
As much as I hate to say it (as a Canucks fan), I think McDavid will be the second best or maybe even the best player on the hypothetical 2018 Olympic team, behind Crosby. And the thought of Sid and McJesus on the same team is amazing. Could McDavid even move to the wing and play with Crosby? :naughty:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
As much as I hate to say it (as a Canucks fan), I think McDavid will be the second best or maybe even the best player on the hypothetical 2018 Olympic team, behind Crosby. And the thought of Sid and McJesus on the same team is amazing. Could McDavid even move to the wing and play with Crosby? :naughty:

sure he could. he played mostly LW at the World Juniors in Toronto/Montreal and Lazar was the center. Lazar's 2nd made task of that tournament was to permanently wear a sheepish grin just to keep McDavid from cool and relaxed. no feeling the pressure.

it's all moot though. there will be no NHL Olympics to even contemplate a line of McDavid Crosby and somebody named who at RW.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Looks like this thread is not needed. Or let's switch to players that are playing in Europe.

I've been working on a Team Canada Olympic roster with no NHLers, but assuming by some small miracle AHLers are allowed. It's not an easy task coming up with 25 names from the AHL/European leagues/NCAA/CHL.

I'll finalize it in the coming days. I'll send it to you. but if this what an Olympic team is going to look like without NHLers, I won't be watching it.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I've been working on a Team Canada Olympic roster with no NHLers, but assuming by some small miracle AHLers are allowed. It's not an easy task coming up with 25 names from the AHL/European leagues/NCAA/CHL.

I'll finalize it in the coming days. I'll send it to you. but if this what an Olympic team is going to look like without NHLers, I won't be watching it.

It's pretty interesting and tough task to do, if I am bored or have enough time I will probably try to do it, too. If AHLers are allowed to go then it get's really tricky. 2018 is still pretty far away so the best thing would be to try and show how the team would look right now. Too many factors that could change things in a pretty big way.

It would be terrible situation for Olympics and hockey in general if players from NHL are really not allowed to go... but I would watch it because it would be still somehow interesting...

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
2018 Canadian Olympic Team

Wojtek Wolski - Derek Roy - Devin Setoguchi
James Sheppard - Tom Pyatt - Louis Leblanc
Cory Conacher - Brandon McMillan - Chris DiDomenico
Cory Emmerton - Kevin Clark - Kris Foucault

Cam Barker - Derek Joslin
Keaton Ellerby - Danny Syvret
Brendan Mikkelson - Austin Madaisky

Justin Pogge
Jeff Glass

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Wojtek Wolski - Derek Roy - Pierre-Marc Bouchard
James Sheppard - Tom Pyatt - Devin Setoguchi

Justin Pogge
Jeff Glass

There is just no way... because Bouchard is required.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010

Justin Pogge
Jeff Glass

Was pleasantly superised at all the names I recognized...

Then saw Pogge and facepalmed..then cried.

leafs1396

Nov 30, 2015
Hall-McDavid-Stamkos
Tavares-Crosby-Mackinnon
Benn-Johansen-Seguin
Duchene-Bergeron-Giroux
Toews-Drouin

Vlasic-Doughty
Rielly-Subban
Brodie-Ekblad
Nurse-Pietrangelo

Price
Holtby
Allen

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Justin Pogge
Jeff Glass

So a slightly better Spengler Cup team? I thought we had better Canadian players then this playing overseas...I see I'm wrong.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
So a slightly better Spengler Cup team? I thought we had better Canadian players then this playing overseas...I see I'm wrong.

he ignored many good canadiens in khl, nla and shl. its 2 years...but if olympics was played this year the team could look like this without any na-players.

Kris Versteeg - Justin Azevedo - Brandon Kozun
Mike Santorelli - Marc-Antonine Pouliot - Bud Holloway
Matt D'Agostini - Derek Roy - Andrew Ebbett
Rob Klinkhammer - Kyle Chipchura - Nick Spaling

Chris Lee - Mat Robinson
Chay Genoway - Maxim Noreau
Cam Barker - Jonathan Sigalet

Justin Pogge
Barry Brust

All the players i listed are top euro-level players that are custom to big ice and they would workd insanly hard for getting the chance to play in a olympic tournament, this would be the biggest thing in their life. You might see some of this name and die of laugh becuse they are failed or former nhlers, but keep in mind that the other nations have euro-level players aswell. Canada and USA have always have many and good players in Europe. Canada and USA have make good tournaments in World Championship and Olympics many times without many/zero NHLers. And forget about Spengler Cup, Spengler Cup is 95 % only players from NLA. In a Olympic tournament players from all euro-leagues will be ready to play. AHL players should be ignored, they are not custom to big ice and NCAA/Juniors are not mature enough.

with na-players.

Holtby
Price

Pietrangelo - Doughty
Vlasic - Subban
Letang - Ekblad

Benn - Seguin - McDavid
Duchene - Tavares - Stamkos
Hall - Giroux - Mackinnon
Marchand - Crosby - Toews

Last edited:

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
I'll give this a try, names are off the top of my head and previous post.

Bergeron Crosby Stammer
Benn Getzlaf Perry
Tavares Toews Carter
Hall McDavid Giroux
Extra:Seguin

Keith Doughty
Weber Pietrangelo
Ekblad Vlasic
Subban (7 D PP guy)
Extra: Letang or Burns

Price
Holtby
Extra: Crawford or Fleury
That should be Canada's top line.

goteam

Dec 16, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site
he ignored many good canadiens in khl, nla and shl. its 2 years...but if olympics was played this year the team could look like this without any na-players.

Bingo. The tournament is in two years. So that's why many were left out. They're not taking a team of all players in their mid-30's. So yes, I stand by the team I put down.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Benn-Mcdavid-Seguin
Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron
Tavares-Toews-Stamkos
OReilly-Getzlaf-Perry
Mackinnon-Couture

Keith-Doughty
Vlasic-Ekblad
Brodie-Pietranglo
Weber

Price-Holtby-Crawford