Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft Pick #20

Who should the Rangers pick?

• Nils Hoglander, LW, Rogle (SHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Holmstrom, RW, HV71 (SHL)

• Ryan Johnson, Sioux Falls (USHL Minnesota commit)

• Brett Leason, C, Prince Albert (WHL)

• Ilya Nikolayev, C, Yaroslavl (KHL)

• Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton (WHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Im hesitant on any US Team kid after Hughes, because that super team just fed off each other. Hard to ID individual accomplishments

I agree somewhat, I think it's more on me though, I find it's easier to see individual talent among forwards than it is with defenders in general. Like I can see if a defender can beat a forechecker and either make the breakout pass or skate it out himself, yet beyond that I find it's difficult to really comprehend their value as the play goes up ice unless they are making the play happen all the way. I mean unless the guy really stands out.

Defensively too, can see their gap, can see if they have a good stick to break up plays, yet for me it's tougher to tell beyond that if they are playing into a system with coverage switches and whatnot, or if they are taking it upon themselves to read the play, if they should chase or not, if they are putting themselves in the lanes based on their own vision/anticipation, etc.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
York will probably go closer to 10 than 20.

I could see even see the Ducks grabbing him at 9. He's a So Cal kid and went through the junior Ducks org. The Ducks drafted Long Beach native Emerson Etem 29th even though he dropped off from rankings that had him going much higher in 2010.

Reactions: darko

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I could see even see the Ducks grabbing him at 9. He's a So Cal kid and went through the junior Ducks org. The Ducks drafted Long Beach native Emerson Etem 29th even though he dropped off from rankings that had him going much higher in 2010.

York at #9 would make sense. Ducks have drafted mostly forwards the last few drafts. Not too long ago they had some of the best young D prospects. After trading away Montour and Pettersson theres not much left, they need defensive prospects.

Reading the Ducks board, they seem like trading down is a good option, want quantity. They already have #9 and a late first from St Louis.

Reactions: bernmeister

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I like York and all but I tend to agree he is too much like all the other LD prospects the Rangers already have and I'm a little leery about whether his production was related to his team versus him individually.

I think there are a couple forwards who both fit the prospect pool need better and are right up there as equally if not more talented. Dorofeyev for me with Tomasino right behind.

all things being equal we should take a forward...but it all depends where you have them ranked. if you have york as the 10th best guy and a tier 2 guy (and see him as a future top pair guy) and comparing him to forwards in your tier 3 than you go with york and let the depth work itself out

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Sorry, that's crazy. Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy these are all fantastic prospects.

they are...but I also think its a valid red flag to consider when you see guys hyped because of their stats. which is always a terrible idea. but when you see caufield skyrocketing up the rankings cause he has the most goals in program history I definitely have to question how much of that is his ability vs his numbers being inflated playing with hughes on a stacked team...same thing with york as the highest scoring dman in the program's history...

of course i also have PTSD from drafting players that had inflated states playing with amazing players LOL

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
all things being equal we should take a forward...but it all depends where you have them ranked. if you have york as the 10th best guy and a tier 2 guy (and see him as a future top pair guy) and comparing him to forwards in your tier 3 than you go with york and let the depth work itself out

I have York in a tier that is quite large where none of them are separated by much if anything, and I like the forward options more.

Yet I'm not trying to say I'm like an expert scout, I'm just doing the youtube and shift by shift stuff and I tend to favor forwards as I think they are easier to figure out than defenders. Which I think kind of rings true for the NHL drafting over the years, finding a later pick defender who in hindsight turns out really good seems to be more prevalent than finding a forward who should not have been passed over.

Reactions: Leetch3

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I think this is who we need:

We don't have too many good power forwards in the system. (Enough with the Dmen.) Skilled, big, physical, hard worker, kills penalties, blocks shots, playoff performer, direct NHL bloodlines, this is exactly type of player that we need. I am thinking Brandon Dubinsky at his peak is what Poulin could be not at his peak.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
York at #9 would make sense. Ducks have drafted mostly forwards the last few drafts. Not too long ago they had some of the best young D prospects. After trading away Montour and Pettersson theres not much left, they need defensive prospects.

Reading the Ducks board, they seem like trading down is a good option, want quantity. They already have #9 and a late first from St Louis.

That’s why I think there might be a deal to be had if we can get within “striking distance” of them.

Reactions: Bluenote13

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

We don't have too many good power forwards in the system. (Enough with the Dmen.) Skilled, big, physical, hard worker, kills penalties, blocks shots, playoff performer, direct NHL bloodlines, this is exactly type of player that we need. I am thinking Brandon Dubinsky at his peak is what Poulin could be not at his peak.

I like Poulin a lot for many of the reasons you listed above. If there’s one area I’m not sure about, it’s the offensive ceiling. I can see him sliding comfortably into a middle six role.

Is he the highest upside candidate at 20? Probably not. And I tend to think that’s why he’s getting overlooked a bit. People are (understandably) focused on big swing type of prospects because there’s a feeling we have a healthy supply of support player types.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I like Poulin a lot for many of the reasons you listed above. If there’s one area I’m not sure about, it’s the offensive ceiling. I can see him sliding comfortably into a middle six role.

Is he the highest upside candidate at 20? Probably not. And I tend to think that’s why he’s getting overlooked a bit. People are (understandably) focused on big swing type of prospects because there’s a feeling we have a healthy supply of support player types.

His ceiling might not have the highest chances, but his floor is very nice, you can almost tell he will have a solid NHL career.

By the time he makes it to the NHL Rangers likely will not have a power forward Kreider, Fast, Namestnikov, Vesey, Strome, Fogarty, Nieves, Lettieri, Leedahl, Beleskey, Brickley, Gropp, Ronning, Meskanen, etc.

Who will be left: Lemieux, Howden, Andersson, Gettinger, Chytil, Kakko, Kravtsov, Buchnevich, Elmer, Pajuniemi, Riley Hughes, Fontaine, Barron, Newell, maybe Zibanejad. There is definitely nobody that jumps at me as being redundant to Poulin. Closest is maybe Lemieux(more of a pest and less scoring threat), Howden(not as physical), and Gettinger (not as skilled).

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I agree that Poulin looks like a pro, but the offensive ceiling does worry me.

At the end of round one would be a good slot for a team to take him, at #20 we'd most likely be passing up someone with top line potential.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO

I actually think he is someone the Rangers might look at 20 if someone ranked much higher isn't dropping to them. He is kind of a prototypical rangers pick in that range, safe player, will look to be a reach on draft day and a year later it'll look like a decent pick. It just really depends who else is there at 20.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Scouting report
Positives: Hes an elite skater with a fantastic breakout pass. Tight gap control with a very active stick. Cannot be beat 1 on 1

Negatives: looks like a chode

Projection: undraftable
The looking like a chode thing is the same reason I can't stand the guy in your avatar. :laugh: I remember bringing it up in a GDT how disgusting he is.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree that Poulin looks like a pro, but the offensive ceiling does worry me.

At the end of round one would be a good slot for a team to take him, at #20 we'd most likely be passing up someone with top line potential.
I like Poulin, but not at 20. I would have taken him with one of our early seconds, but that cannot happen now. I also think that given the Rangers history with the Q, the probability is very low that they were interested in him.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I actually think he is someone the Rangers might look at 20 if someone ranked much higher isn't dropping to them. He is kind of a prototypical rangers pick in that range, safe player, will look to be a reach on draft day and a year later it'll look like a decent pick. It just really depends who else is there at 20.
Eh, I feel like the ‘safe’ pick isn’t really the Rangers MO recently

Reactions: jas

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The looking like a chode thing is the same reason I can't stand the guy in your avatar. :laugh: I remember bringing it up in a GDT how disgusting he is.
You reminded me I kinda feel bad having that as my avatar. He's what, a 19 year old kid? I'm punching down big time but, I mean his pic looks SOOOO much like that bust. Right down to the slanted smirk

Reactions: nyr2k2

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Eh, I feel like the ‘safe’ pick isn’t really the Rangers MO recently
Maybe safe is not the right word, projectable? If I look at Chytil, Miller, Lundqvist, these recent picks in the 20's, they seem very projectable players with safe floors and some upside but not boom bust types. Also all guys not really projected at their spots and picked a bit ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad