Prospect Info: Team Board Mock Draft Pick #20

Who should the Rangers pick?

• Nils Hoglander, LW, Rogle (SHL)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Simon Holmstrom, RW, HV71 (SHL)

• Ryan Johnson, Sioux Falls (USHL Minnesota commit)

• Brett Leason, C, Prince Albert (WHL)

• Ilya Nikolayev, C, Yaroslavl (KHL)

• Matthew Robertson, D, Edmonton (WHL)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd rather take York at 20 than pay assets to get Seider a pick or two earlier
I like York and he may well be BPA, but it just feels like the defense needs something else besides another smallish PMD.

Ideally, there is a trade up for Zegras or Newhook. If not possible without gross over payment, I would take Dorofeyev with another hit for the fences swing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I like York and he may well be BPA, but it just feels like the defense needs something else besides another smallish PMD.
If York is the BPA, you draft him.

Who cares if he's a small PMD. Don't draft based on need just because you feel the defense "needs something else."

Chances are by the time York becomes an NHL regular, the defense will have changed.

Ideally, there is a trade up for Zegras or Newhook. If not possible without gross over payment, I would take Dorofeyev with another hit for the fences swing.
I agree.

Reactions: free0717

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017

Isn't taking the BPA by definition a "swing for the fences" move?

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
If York is the BPA, you draft him.

Who cares if he's a small PMD. Don't draft based on need just because you feel the defense "needs something else."

Chances are by the time York becomes an NHL regular, the defense will have changed.

I agree.

When someone says “defense needs something else” in regards to prospects, they usually mean the system and youth rather than solely the current NHL roster. I don’t think there’s any doubt the right D in our system includes a lot of smallish PMD types. Pretty much exclusively so, with DeAngelo, Pionk, Fox, Lundkvist, and Keane.

I feel like another RD in that mold would be redundant, which is why Seider is so attractive, but York isn’t an RD.

We do want to be in a situation like where the Hurricanes are now, where they haven’t felt pressure to bring up 2 well regarded D prospects in Fleury and Bean.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Changed my mind. Would go Dorofeyev. Won’t matter on poll though.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
If Lavoie was a couple weeks from next years draft, instead of last years, I'd definitely consider him. But for one of the oldest prospects in the draft, and one of the largest, i find his season rather disappointing

Reactions: Leetch3 and pblawr

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If Lavoie was a couple weeks from next years draft, instead of last years, I'd definitely consider him. But for one of the oldest prospects in the draft, and one of the largest, i find his season rather disappointing

Very up and down season and the playoffs are masking some serious issues in his game.

This is a kid who has now played close to 200 games of junior hockey, he’s 10 days shy of being a 2018 eligible. He’s about 4-5 inches taller than most of his younger competition, he certainly didn’t lead the team on the ice or grow by leaps and bounds this season, he certainly didn’t harness the consistency in his game that was flagged the season before and he still plays a very Q-style, junior hockey like game.

When he’s on, he makes for nice highlight clips that fit perfectly with 280 characters or less. But people don’t tend to post highlights of skating in circles accomplishing nothing, or highly questionable decisions for a player with as many miles under the hood as he has.

I think he has a lot of natural skill, and those guys always get the benefit of the doubt, no matter how much logic dictates otherwise. But for all the intrigue, primarily driven by what people thought they were going to see, I don’t know if he would fair favorably in a blind taste test. Meaning, would anyone view this as a successful D+1 season if he were born 10 days early and selected in the top 20 last season? Probably not.

pblawr

Jul 16, 2016
I am the 1%.

I'm with you. I don't know about York. He doesn't have any standout physical skills. He's not a great skater and he's undersized. He makes some smart plays and he puts up a lot of points, but he's gotta be in the most favorable situation you could ask for. I think basically anyone who's on a power play with Hughes, Caufield, Zegras, and Turcotte would put up a lot of points. I'm not sure you could ask to play with guys who are better at finding you with great passes or getting in position to receive passes themselves and making you look good. I'm not sure how people get comfortable that he's a really that great of a player if you take him out of that situation.

Harley on the other hand, is obviously is a plus skater and has above-average size. He was still productive when Tippett and McLeod got traded away and his team was pretty mediocre. I think you could make a case that, if you adjust for their situations, Harley's production / offensive sense was better than York's. He's one of the youngest players in the draft and his development has been fantastic. He went from being totally off the radar to becoming a consensus top 20 pick this year and his issues in the defensive zone appear to have improved significantly over the course of the year.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
How many 5'11" 180 lb. defensemen do people really think we can have on this roster? This pendulum is eventually going to swing back the other way, and guys like Tom Wilson will be waiting for us when it does. I would rather see another shot at a forward like Poulin, Kaliev, or maybe even Grewe depending upon how high they havechim ranked. I'm normally a BPA guy but I think the cupboard is stocked all the way on this type of player.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
This is one of the arguments I told myself I’m not going to participate in anymore, so I’ll just say I don’t believe it makes any sense to give out any gigantic contracts with where this team is and what they’ve been doing the past year and a half

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I like York and all but I tend to agree he is too much like all the other LD prospects the Rangers already have and I'm a little leery about whether his production was related to his team versus him individually.

I think there are a couple forwards who both fit the prospect pool need better and are right up there as equally if not more talented. Dorofeyev for me with Tomasino right behind.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
I like York and all but I tend to agree he is too much like all the other LD prospects the Rangers already have and I'm a little leery about whether his production was related to his team versus him individually.

Im hesitant on any US Team kid after Hughes, because that super team just fed off each other. Hard to ID individual accomplishments

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
Sorry, that's crazy. Turcotte, Zegras, Boldy these are all fantastic prospects.

They are still good prospects, but if they each are playing with a 10-20% boost in production, they might be boosted in the draft by +/- 5 spots.

A kid in the CHL or EU having to do more on their own doesn't have the advantage of optimal matchups vs. Other teams depth D pairs that some of these US kids enjoy. They don't have a Hughes to pass to or play behind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad