Team 16 2017-2018

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
I've been impressed with this team. Could easily have won all 3 games with the right bounces.

True. I only saw games vs Finns and Russians, and the Swedes were killing it in transition play, neutral zone dominance and controlled zone entries. And this without Holtz and Raymond.

However, no lucky bounces should have been needed and I agree with earlier poster that they took the puck to the net way too seldom. But, I don't see this as a result from lack of "power, grit etc", rather that they took an amazing amount of dumb shots instead of making smarter plays to create high-danger chances.

So, bad decision making in the offensive zone and a team with too low hockey sense - also manifested in that they to often looked for long tape-to-tape passes instead of higher-tempo cycling, drops or space plays. The Russians were much smarter in this sense and almost beat us in regular time despite being outshot 2:1 and outpossessed 60:40.

On top of that too many simple ("stupid") mistakes were made that were severely punished (puck in own net). This is not unusual as many ppg+ players on the club level in this age play with very thin margins and often rely on opponent's mistakes or their own physical superiority. When competition is upped these players suddenly tilt the ice the wrong way. Some will develop, round off the edges and smarten up, but for the vast majority this unfortunately is a ceiling.

In terms of "power and grit" I felt they clearly outpowered and outskated both the Finns and the Russians.

Goal tending was so-so (especially vs the Finns)

Almost 40 skaters have now dressed for Team-16 this season, very impressive breadth in 02's. And there are most likely another 50-75 that could make a team like this - not the least through superior hockey-IQ.

Reactions: Fredrik Nordkvist

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
True. I only saw games vs Finns and Russians, and the Swedes were killing it in transition play, neutral zone dominance and controlled zone entries. And this without Holtz and Raymond.

However, no lucky bounces should have been needed and I agree with earlier poster that they took the puck to the net way too seldom. But, I don't see this as a result from lack of "power, grit etc", rather that they took an amazing amount of dumb shots instead of making smarter plays to create high-danger chances.

So, bad decision making in the offensive zone and a team with too low hockey sense - also manifested in that they to often looked for long tape-to-tape passes instead of higher-tempo cycling, drops or space plays. The Russians were much smarter in this sense and almost beat us in regular time despite being outshot 2:1 and outpossessed 60:40.

On top of that too many simple ("stupid") mistakes were made that were severely punished (puck in own net). This is not unusual as many ppg+ players on the club level in this age play with very thin margins and often rely on opponent's mistakes or their own physical superiority. When competition is upped these players suddenly tilt the ice the wrong way. Some will develop, round off the edges and smarten up, but for the vast majority this unfortunately is a ceiling.

In terms of "power and grit" I felt they clearly outpowered and outskated both the Finns and the Russians.

Goal tending was so-so (especially vs the Finns)

Almost 40 skaters have now dressed for Team-16 this season, very impressive breadth in 02's. And there are most likely another 50-75 that could make a team like this - not the least through superior hockey-IQ.

Agree, some players definitely need keep their head up and look for a pass instead of always shooting the puck from bad spots. This was especially noticeable on the PP. Can't expect too much out of these 15 year olds though, some will learn and some won't. They more than kept up with the other teams, results are not super important at this stage.

Reactions: Fredrik Nordkvist

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Hm, Team 02 just beat Team 01 with a score of 6-0. Holtz with a couple of goals.

Maybe we should send our U17 team to the Ivan Hlinka.

Reactions: Hockeyhockey68

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Hm, Team 02 just beat Team 01 with a score of 6-0. Holtz with a couple of goals.

Maybe we should send our U17 team to the Ivan Hlinka.

Not surprised really although a shut-out and six-goal difference is noticeable. Anyone missing in the 01-squad? Looks stacked on paper.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Not surprised really although a shut-out and six-goal difference is noticeable. Anyone missing in the 01-squad? Looks stacked on paper.

Simon Holmström was the only noteable name missing. Grewe, Björnfot, Söderström etc. were all playing. Niederbach was missing on the 02 team. Keep in mind that most of these players haven’t played games the last couple of months.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Team 02 won the second game as well. Required OT this time, 2-1. Holtz with both goals.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Team 02 won the second game as well. Required OT this time, 2-1. Holtz with both goals.

I know it's the off-season but this seems like a major concern that a full team of younger players can beat the 2001 born guys. The U17 group do have some top talent but that should ideally not be enough. I think the 2001 age group and the 2019 draft will be a disappointment compared to other years.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
And Team 02 won the third game 5-2. Holtz with 3 more goals.

I know it's the off-season but this seems like a major concern that a full team of younger players can beat the 2001 born guys. The U17 group do have some top talent but that should ideally not be enough. I think the 2001 age group and the 2019 draft will be a disappointment compared to other years.

Holtz and Raymond just killed the older team, their line scored almost all goals. That was really the big difference and they proved that they are far better than any 01 forwards already. The younger team also got good goaltending.

All three games looked tight but it was just clear that the older team didn't have guys who could put pucks in the net and that's been the story with this age group for as long as I can remember. They roll 4 energy lines basically. Also thought the older team played very dirty, undisciplined hockey. Grewe in particular looked like he seriously wanted to injure people with late hits, high elbows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad