Team 16 2017-2018

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
Surprised to see Kalle Bartholdsson and Zion Nybeck left out of both the first two tournaments. Måns Forsfjäll?
Hugo Styf too. Been really solid in J18-allsvenskan putting up 9 points in 10 games. Also MVP in Modocupen in December if i remember correctly.

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Also MVP in Modocupen in December if i remember correctly.
That, my dear friend, was a joke. As such awards often are. Among other things, he got flamed in some important situations in the final if I remember correctly. And that was U16.

Last edited:

James Creighton

Oct 26, 2016
That, my dear friend, was a joke. As such awards often are. Among other things, he got flamed in a some important situations in the final if I remember correctly. And that was U16.
Its almost a tradition that some player from Modo or a player that has signed for Modos HG gets the big prizes in ModoCup.

What surprise me is that several players in the U16 Roster almost only play U16 Hockey. Sure they put up some numbers there but they play against same age level and sometimes one or two year younger players and often very weak opponents.

At the same time there are players left out of the roster that makes a solid impact in J18 Allsvenskan where they play against one or two year older players and always against good or even great opponents.

I don't really get it.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Both Forsfjäll and Styf are on the roster now. I think Andrae and Zivlak were on the roster initially.

Soder

Jul 6, 2017
Do anyone know where I can see the new roster and is the games showed somewhere, i cannot find anything?

James Creighton

Oct 26, 2016
Two losses for the U16 Team. When you watch the games it`s obvious that Sweden has too many players in the roster playing in the U16 leagues back home.
They just don't have the strength, power and speed to take the game to the opponents net. There are many players shaped in the same mold and it wasn't the creativity mold.

However it as not as bad as the 01 team, 2-10 vs USA :O

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Two losses for the U16 Team. When you watch the games it`s obvious that Sweden has too many players in the roster playing in the U16 leagues back home.
They just don't have the strength, power and speed to take the game to the opponents net. There are many players shaped in the same mold and it wasn't the creativity mold.

However it as not as bad as the 01 team, 2-10 vs USA :O

Agree on the lack of creativity, especially puck movement. However this is likely more a selection issue rather than what league certain players play in. Remember these are boys in 9th grade, far from everyone happen to live close enough to a J18 Allsvenskan Team. And I do believe it's much more important how you play than where you play. From what I have seen it's not necessarily the "non-J18 Allsvenskan"-players that have a difficult time. Rather the opposite.

And two important pieces are missing, playing w U17 this time around.

Team 01 is worrisome. Since U16 they must have the worst track record ever for a Swedish national team.

James Creighton

Oct 26, 2016
Well without further investigating it I think it is four of the players that not play in a club without a J18 allsvensk Junior team.
And I guess the KB65 players have had opportunity to play with Modo If they wanted.

If we not consider what league they play in they still have problems getting to the net, I would love to see some players that think a couple of moves ahead.

Reactions: perolofbrasar

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Yeah, don't think the league they play in matters too much. Only watched parts of their games but I was actually fairly impressed. Our U16 national teams are often not great.

The 01 boys are not looking good however. 2-10 against the US and 1-5 against Russia, heavily outshot in both games. Problem with that team is mainly their offense, very few forwards look dangerous and no line is capable of keeping pressure. The only bright spot on that team has been defenseman Victor Söderström, great player.

perolofbrasar

Jan 28, 2016
Well without further investigating it I think it is four of the players that not play in a club without a J18 allsvensk Junior team.
And I guess the KB65 players have had opportunity to play with Modo If they wanted.
At least eight of the skaters play for clubs that are 1.either not represented in J18 Allsvenskan or 2. the player has not played a single game in that league.

If we not consider what league they play in they still have problems getting to the net, I would love to see some players that think a couple of moves ahead.

Agree 100%. Although they put on a good show vs the Finns.

James Creighton

Oct 26, 2016
At least eight of the skaters play for clubs that are 1.either not represented in J18 Allsvenskan or 2. the player has not played a single game in that league.

Now you juggling both pears and apples. The question was how many not playing for a club with a J18 Elite/ J18 Allsvenskt team, not how many that not have played J18 hockey. I think thats a part of the problem when we meet and often loose to international opponents. The players only playing U16 games often meet players 1-2 years younger and the players playing J18 Elite/Allsvenskan play against opponents 1-2 years older and because of NIU often much better teams.

Of course that makes a difference. Many/not all of the players that only play in U16 Elite becomes totally invisible against the older and bigger opponents in J18 because of lack of speed, power and courage to get dirty in front of the net. We see the same things in our U16,U17 and U18 teams.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Now you juggling both pears and apples. The question was how many not playing for a club with a J18 Elite/ J18 Allsvenskt team, not how many that not have played J18 hockey. I think thats a part of the problem when we meet and often loose to international opponents. The players only playing U16 games often meet players 1-2 years younger and the players playing J18 Elite/Allsvenskan play against opponents 1-2 years older and because of NIU often much better teams.

Of course that makes a difference. Many/not all of the players that only play in U16 Elite becomes totally invisible against the older and bigger opponents in J18 because of lack of speed, power and courage to get dirty in front of the net. We see the same things in our U16,U17 and U18 teams.

If results were that important for the U16 National team then they probably wouldn't have tested so many players. No need to bring in less talented J18 players only because they play against older competition, next year all players will be playing in J18.

Reactions: Fredrik Nordkvist

James Creighton

Oct 26, 2016
If results were that important for the U16 National team then they probably wouldn't have tested so many players. No need to bring in less talented J18 players only because they play against older competition, next year all players will be playing in J18.

It would be stupid to bring less talented players in, the question is, are they less talented? For example Daniel Ljungman in Arlanda,is he less talented?

Players who put up numbers as an underaged in J18 Elit/Allsvenskan is very talented, period.

Comparing U16 league players is like looking at Jocke Lindstrom, Moller and Edlund in Skellefteå and say they can score in SHL so they can score in the olympics also. Well we all seen how that ended up. Victor Fasth had more points.....

Do you think its as easy putting up numbers in J18 as in U16?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
It would be stupid to bring less talented players in, the question is, are they less talented? For example Daniel Ljungman in Arlanda,is he less talented?

Players who put up numbers as an underaged in J18 Elit/Allsvenskan is very talented, period.

Comparing U16 league players is like looking at Jocke Lindstrom, Moller and Edlund in Skellefteå and say they can score in SHL so they can score in the olympics also. Well we all seen how that ended up. Victor Fasth had more points.....
has played okay so far.
Do you think its as easy putting up numbers in J18 as in U16?

I just don't understand why this is such a problem for you. They picked guys they liked and the team has been on par with the other countries so far. I saw many players from the U16 league outperform guys playing in J18 both at TV-pucken and during the national team camps, apparently the national team coaches did too. I wouldn't look too much at what league someone plays in or what numbers they put up, they can be heavily inflated at those levels.

Also, don't compare these kids with Olympic players. That's just a completely different universe. By the same logic we should beat Canada at the WJC every year because our kids play in better leagues.

James Creighton

Oct 26, 2016
Well, at first many will disagree that our WJC players play in better leagues. Everyone who saw the latest U16 games must have noticed that Team Sweden had big problems taking the puck to the net. As for the TV-puck and national team camps I saw exactly the opposite.

However we can argue about this till the end of time because there is no answer, just opinions. Fact is that the 02 team has only has beaten the Fins and have more to prove and the 01 team is a sad tale at the moment.

TV-Pucken 2017, Top 10, and number of players who reached Sweden Team 16.

1. Skåne 1 player
2. Ångermanland 4 players
3. Stockholm Syd 4 players
4. Östergötland 3 players
5. Västerbotten 3 players
6. Stockholm Nord 2 players
7. Värmland 4 players
8. Gästrikland 2 players
9. Göteborg 4 players
10. Småland 2 players

James Creighton

Oct 26, 2016
Same problems for the U16 team as last tournament, lot of fancy plays around the boards and when not under pressure but no grit, no power, no attack on the net, no physical play. Ending up with another 3rd place out of 4...

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
I've been impressed with this team. Could easily have won all 3 games with the right bounces. Nybeck looked really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->