Confirmed with Link: TDA is back, break out the tears 1Yr / 1.6m

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Probably crazy thinking, but considering that Pesce already seems to have one foot out the door, I wonder if they’d consider re-uniting Slavin and TDA and putting Burns with Orlov, and by process of elimination, put Skjei and Chatfield together (they worked well together in the past I believe).

At least for the regular season, that might be the most effective use of blueline personnel. I highly doubt they’d split up Slavin-Burns, but the numbers from 21-22 from the Slavin-TDA pairing aren’t too shabby.
I thought about that. The issue I see with that is twofold.

1. We don’t want Tony on the top pairing come playoff time, so if he’s there all season, it changes pairings right before the playoffs.

2. Tony is great offensively and not great defensively. Giving him PP time? Yep, sign me up. Giving him more 5v5 time than other, more qualified guys? I’m not sold. Of course, it all depends who still gets moved.

For me, having Tony on the 3rd pairing and PP is ideal. Kind of the Ghost role, but better. If there are injuries, he can move up.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I thought about that. The issue I see with that is twofold.

1. We don’t want Tony on the top pairing come playoff time, so if he’s there all season, it changes pairings right before the playoffs.

2. Tony is great offensively and not great defensively. Giving him PP time? Yep, sign me up. Giving him more 5v5 time than other, more qualified guys? I’m not sold. Of course, it all depends who still gets moved.

For me, having Tony on the 3rd pairing and PP is ideal. Kind of the Ghost role, but better. If there are injuries, he can move up.
Yep, the only reason he moved up to play with Slavin that year was be because Bear’s play fell off a cliff after him getting Covid after starting out well.

They got by with a right side of Bear, Pesce and TDA that year, until the playoffs. Removing Pesce from that mix is a bit scary while being left with 38yr old Burns, Chatfield, TDA and Coglan. That’s partly why I think there’s little to no chance they’d trade both Pesce and Skjei in the same offseason. They’ll need one of them to stick around for stability.

I think TDA would be fine with either Orlov or Skjei. It’s good they know that Slavin-TDA works quite well in the regular season that at least gives them options.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
I strongly debate this. First of all, EK isn't really elderly at 33 and he only has 4 seasons remaining. The Canes, just last offseason, acquired 37 year old Brent Burns (an actual fossil by NHL standards) when he still had 3 seasons remaining. The issue is more about cost here: I'm pretty sure that Pittsburgh was always willing to give up more because they have bad contracts to dump (Petry and Granlund, mainly). Otherwise, I'd see Carolina as much more competitive in the trade sweepstakes here. The reason why the Canes gave up so little for Burns is because his true league-wide value (because he was such an age-related outlier) was so difficult to evaluate.
Obviously you don’t get the way I was using elderly here. Yes, Burns is older but basically was free with salary retention. EK is 33 (hockey elderly) and did just come off a career year that was an aberration from recent years. He was deemed untradeable just a year ago. The Borg have just not dealt in this type of deal.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I believe I read a quote the other day from Tony where he basically said the same thing or something like, "....if you can't beat 'em, join 'em".
Imagine Haula coming back here with his tail between his legs after 7 straight years of losing to us in the playoffs (I think he’s on a 4 year deal with the Devils, may be shorter but I’m not looking it up)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015

Three Stooges GIF by Alissandra

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
If the Canes keep Skjei and Pesce, I'm pretty sure that DeAngelo will be paired with Orlov. The Skjei-Pesce pairing has worked so well over the last few years that Brind'Amour likely keeps the setup in the event that neither are dealt. The amazing thing about having DeAngelo and Chatfield is that even if Burns turns into a potato (I know that it's unlikely because his current level of play is so high, but father time is always a risk), both are plenty capable of stepping forward and playing up the lineup.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
If the Canes keep Skjei and Pesce, I'm pretty sure that DeAngelo will be paired with Orlov. The Skjei-Pesce pairing has worked so well over the last few years that Brind'Amour likely keeps the setup in the event that neither are dealt. The amazing thing about having DeAngelo and Chatfield is that even if Burns turns into a potato (I know that it's unlikely because his current level of play is so high, but father time is always a risk), both are plenty capable of stepping forward and playing up the lineup.
Whatcha got against taters?

• Haha
Reactions: zman77

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
This may be the deepest D-corps that we have ever had. With the Orlov signing, I would have to think that one of Skjei or Pesce will be traded for a scoring forward.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
This may be the deepest D-corps that we have ever had. With the Orlov signing, I would have to think that one of Skjei or Pesce will be traded for a scoring forward.

I would go much further than that. If Skjei and Pesce are own-rentaled (and again, the Canes have the cap space to not compromise on the trade return for either), this group would be the deepest crop of defensemen ever assembled in the cap era, and the competition for it IMO isn't particularly close. Orlov legitimately generates top-pairing metrics for the vast majority of NHL teams and DeAngelo, as proven in his Ranger days and his last time in Carolina, has excellent enough offensive metrics to not look totally out of place in a top-4 group. Canes are genuinely one of the few clubs out there that have the luxury to use TDA in the ideal way.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Why isn't the salary closer to minimum? Show of appreciation from the only team that can handle him or was there actually another taker?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Why isn't the salary closer to minimum? Show of appreciation from the only team that can handle him or was there actually another taker?
May be related to the fact that it's a little bit more than the 1/3 of $5M which Tony forfeited due to Philly buying him out. He now gets paid ever so slightlty more that what he would have got had he served his previous SPC in full.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
well the team was prepared to trade for him at $2.5M and I don't think that would've been an overpayment by any means. I think it's being fair to him, would another team necessarily offer him more than that maybe not but I doubt he would be out of the league if we didn't sign him if that's what you're getting at... I do think he deliberately wanted to come back here, I don't think we were his only option. Also I wouldn't be surprised if he had offers on the table for slightly more than what we're paying him, maybe not but it would not surprise me.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Assuming we own rental Skjei and Pesce, I think you will see a lot of 11 forwards and 7 d men rosters for regular season games and Tony plays less than 10 min a night in a few 3rd pairing shifts and almost exclusively on the PP..

I think Orlov/Chatfield is a much more capable d pairing to actually play defense even with the inexperience of Chatfield. I think Chatfield can outskate his brain farts more often than TDA can do anything to overcome his defensive play. He is a good offensive dman, but TDA will never be on the same level defensively as the others on our current roster…. He’s better than Coghlan when he hasn’t played in a while…. And although someone has told Brindy that Coghlan can play his off side, we now have game evidence to prove otherwise and that is most of our poor opinion of Coghlan…. He was complete garbage trying to play his offside to give deHaan nights off and constantly forgot he was on the left and turns the wrong way or muffs things being all twisted around…. He wasn’t nearly as bad playing on his natural handed side….but the dye got cast in terms of playtime for 3rd RD and Brindy wasn’t going to choose Coghlan over Chatfield. Sucks the Coghlan couldn’t work his way back to make it a tougher decision for Brindy and fight for starts and ice time…. But that also will come into play this season for TDA when he has to fight against Brindy stubbornness and deference to his guys that play the right way and play defensively the way Brindy wants….it’s going to be fascinating to see how TDA wins more 5v5 ice time on the third pairing against Chatfield,,,, and it’s also why I’m certain we see more 11/7 versus 12/6 assuming the roster stays as is for d men and we own rental Pesce/Skjei….

anyways, off on a tangent there… back to original point of last paragraph…. In tight games you see Orlov/Chatfield or Skjei/Chatfield at 5v5 or even taking some PK time if trying to balance ok minutes and overall ice time minutes out evenly across 3 d pairings and not over shifting the Top4 and wearing them out…. I see us going 11/7 way more than 12/6 to get that defensive capability and PP bump versus trusting TDA playing a lot of 5v5 time on the third pairing…. If we do see brindy dlong 12/6 with TDA playing 3 RD then it will be a big ice time imbalance which is wasting the 3rd pairing partner

I think zero Percentage chance TDA plays with Slavin again on the top pair assuming everyone healthy and with the others slotted above him. Burns is just a better partner for Slavin than TDA…. Nothing against TDA, but I don’t think you get a single talent evaluator or coach in the league or any league looks at the two options of Slavin/TDA and Slavin/Burns and thinks to break up Burns and Slavin to give the ice time to TDA….

Absolutely nothing against TDA. He is a very good value at his contract and we know he can play in our system. He shouldn’t need to take months to get up to speed like other new players just joining can take to get comfortable.. so he hits the ground running from the first day of camp and we can hopefully see some nice bump in pp scoring with him in the lineup…. It offers us flexibility that is exciting and intriguing and is going to give teams fits trying to adjust for it and scout and strategize to counter what we can do (assuming they actually get creative with it and don’t continue the same awful pp practices of the last number of years)… when he was here before and in the lineup, We found a way to adapt to TDA weaknesses defensively and get through it until getting exposed in the playoffs….in a sheltered minute role or in a roster makeup strategy that allows us to ice the best overall options for all situations, I think it can really work well and be successful..

excited to see what we do with the roster for this year and how we get the best out of everyone …

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
because he scored over 50 points here, and there were probably other teams interesed.

This was a steal for us frankly
If there were another team interested, $1,6 million wouldn't have been enough for a 50 point defenseman. Considering the Canes can keep him calm, it is a steal indeed.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If there were another team interested, $1,6 million wouldn't have been enough for a 50 point defenseman. Considering the Canes can keep him calm, it is a steal indeed.
50 point defenseman who is the only player in NHL to have been bought out twice and comes with a political baggage. I too believe there were other teams interested, but the salary would stay low in the circumstances. Would be fun to know if there were other interested teams who would have wanted to trade for Tony with Philly retaining 50 percent.

Reactions: mattihp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad