Confirmed with Link: TDA is back, break out the tears 1Yr / 1.6m

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Gotcha. Thanks for the screenshot. On Twitter, I don’t venture too far outside of the core hockey folks I follow and don’t read a lot of the replies. Looks like it’s a NY fan that posted that wanting attention.

Edit: now that I read the responses to Frank’s tweet, I see a number of people making the same lame joke.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Yeah, it was an easy joke to make. I much prefer the "TonyD is constantly getting burned on defense because he's weak to attacks from the left" joke.

Anywho, same deal this time around as last time. Don't understand the signing, but Waddell and Tulsky have done more than enough to just trust they know what they're doing. As long as TonyD keeps his nose clean and puts up points, no complaints here

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Anywho, same deal this time around as last time. Don't understand the signing, but Waddell and Tulsky have done more than enough to just trust they know what they're doing. As long as TonyD keeps his nose clean and puts up points, no complaints here

I do understand it.
1) He's a known commodity. He knows the team, the system and the coach and they know him.
2) He can add offense and the Canes are looking for ways to improve their PP.
3) He's cheap depth. He's not good defensively, but he can play up in a pinch. Should be fine on the 3rd pairing.
4) He's cheap and signed for 1 year. That's right up the Borg's MO.
5) It's low risk. If he creates any sort of problem, they'll find a way to move on from him.

Right now, it "seems" perplexing because they already have 7 D NHL men (8 with Coghlan). and 5 of them are top 4 quality. I suspect there will be more moves as one of Skjei or Pesce will likely be traded.

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Damn that comment thread is a trip...so many people spewing hate towards the Canes for signing him and how they won't spend a dime or watch a game while he's on the team.

Those idiots are likely too poor to buy tickets anyways. The sort of folks that hang out on X all day likely are not all that productive.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Didn’t they have literally thousands of negativecomments on the thread a few years ago when they first signed him a few years ago? Plus, Civian ran a hit piece on him before the ink was dry in that contract.

If his play this coming season is anywhere close to what it was in 21-22, he’ll be a fan favorite again in no time.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I think we're probably out on EK if we're in on this. I know people will say that's an absurd take based on the disparity between the two, but that's okay. I think we decided we couldn't wait and we're one of the teams that I talked about that were going to move on and allocate the money from that potential acquisition into other parts of the roster. I think it won't be too long before we hear on Tarasenko coming here.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
as far as the player himself, it seems like he might be our Joe Corvo/Sean Hill of the modern era with his boomerang trajectory. interesting commonalities. guys that are maybe jerkoffs in a less structured environment with traditional media prodding and less supportive fans booing their own players. reactive and emotionally sensitive despite their posturing to the contrary. the need to be loved kind of guys.

I think it will obviously be a diminished role this time around, but he should be good and motivated playing for his career again. his number being this low is pretty telling.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
I think we're probably out on EK if we're in on this. I know people will say that's an absurd take based on the disparity between the two, but that's okay. I think we decided we couldn't wait and we're one of the teams that I talked about that were going to move on and allocate the money from that potential acquisition into other parts of the roster. I think it won't be too long before we hear on Tarasenko coming here.
I sure hope so because it also creates an offensive imbalance on the D where basically our whole RHD corps would be offensively minded (this assumes we'd trade Pesce in getting EK). Right now we've got an elite Defensive guy and pretty elite offensive guy in Slavin-Burns. Orlov-Pesce could be pretty much a top pair more defensive-sided pair in most teams. The Skjei/Chatty-TDA is a mobile 3rd pair who you can also shelter if needed

Reactions: DaveG and Sigurd

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Well hoping that he will contribute nicely next year. Perhaps has matured and clearly viewed favorably by Pesce given the wedding invite.

Reactions: cptjeff

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
I sure hope so. Signing another good free agent, and a good top 6 forward no less, would be fantastic.

That still gives us all of our trade assets for next trade deadline, and potentially next summer by us not needing to make a trade this summer.

Which probably all works out for the best because what forwards are available for trade right now, probably either aren't that great for the top 6, or they're too old to give an 8 or so year extension in the eyes of our front office (I'm thinking of Lindholm specifically). In other words, too flawed for a long term fit; there's no Meier or Tkachuk available right now. Hopefully Elias Pettersson #40 will be the next elite forward that will become available if not next deadline, then next summer since he's in his last year of his contract. That's a superstar worth throwing the bank at to get.

Reactions: DaveG

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Yeah, it was an easy joke to make. I much prefer the "TonyD is constantly getting burned on defense because he's weak to attacks from the left" joke.

“Shut up and dribble/play stickpuck/whatever” was actually absolutely correct. And I stand by this.

@Negan4Coach

hang out on X
WHO THE HELL ALLOWED YOU TO USE THAT TERM FREELY.

whiskers

Aug 2, 2018
i wonder if Philly nfans are pissed? they had a trade , what was the piece for it? we still have the 2nd round pick in 2024 when we traded his rights to them , the whole thing is quite comical , didnt cost us anything , would have cost us more if we did trade for him , please !!! SJ buy out Karlsson we still have 800k to spend lol

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I do understand it.
1) He's a known commodity. He knows the team, the system and the coach and they know him.
2) He can add offense and the Canes are looking for ways to improve their PP.
3) He's cheap depth. He's not good defensively, but he can play up in a pinch. Should be fine on the 3rd pairing.
4) He's cheap and signed for 1 year. That's right up the Borg's MO.
5) It's low risk. If he creates any sort of problem, they'll find a way to move on from him.

Right now, it "seems" perplexing because they already have 7 D NHL men (8 with Coghlan). and 5 of them are top 4 quality. I suspect there will be more moves as one of Skjei or Pesce will likely be traded.

Given TonyD's reputation, we honestly could have waited to sign him until after a Skjei/Pesce trade was done.

And frankly, the goal right now for this team is to win the Cup. Success in the regular season is great, and it was acceptable to have JUST that for a few years, but we've now reached the point in our build where a Cup needs to happen sooner than later.

Tony's last go around in the playoffs with this team was...less than stellar. He put up points, but his hot headedness definitely got him (and the team) in trouble on more than one occasion. Now maybe it'll be easier to deal with as a bottom-pairing D instead of stapled next to Slavin, but we'll have to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $770.00