Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (Series tied 3-3)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Edmonton blocked more shots than the Predators in 1 less game played. Saying they have no defense is silly. Knoblauch and Coffey have done a good job with the d-structure on this team, they were able to keep most of the play to the outside all series against LA
Perception vs reality. Unfortunately perception wins the popularity contests far too often.

Reactions: sepHF

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
To me this is all about Special teams. 5-on-5 the Canucks are far the better team.

But if powerplays start getting handed out, Canucks will need an elite PK or else the Oilers are winning
This is where players like Lindholm, Blueger, Joshua, Cole and Soucy become key. Lindholm has made Canucks PK a lot better, same with Joshua. They play aggressive PK to prevent any setup in the offensive zone.

Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
You can talk about any month oilers if it makes you feel better but they still wouldnt touch the stifling defensive game preds played against Canucks and they had huge hits too.
So when the Oilers were the best defensive team in the league, that scores a lot of points with you? Or you just ignore it because it doesn’t follow your narrative?

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Edmonton blocked more shots than the Predators in 1 less game played. Saying they have no defense is silly. Knoblauch and Coffey have done a good job with the d-structure on this team, they were able to keep most of the play to the outside all series against LA
LA doesnt forecheck while playing their stupid 1-3-1 game while Canucks are heavy on forecheck.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Edmonton has no defense which plays right into hands of Canucks. Garland, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Pettersson etc. Will all now be more effective with less shot blocking from Oilers D and juicy turnovers. Preds played a stifling defense with great goaltending, now Canucks have breathing room to create offense.
You might have the absolute worst takes I've seen in this thread, and that's saying something

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
So when the Oilers were the best defensive team in the league, that scores a lot of points with you? Or you just ignore it because it doesn’t follow your narrative?
Oilers spend more time in the opponents offensive zone and less time in their own zone. Thats how their stats got inflated, otherwise they arent that great once they get stuck in their own zone for extended period of time.

• Haha
Reactions: Kerberos

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Edmonton has no defense which plays right into hands of Canucks. Garland, Mikheyev, Hoglander, Pettersson etc. Will all now be more effective with less shot blocking from Oilers D and juicy turnovers. Preds played a stifling defense with great goaltending, now Canucks have breathing room to create offense.
The team with "no defense" his highest positive goal difference in the league.

Preds had more GF this season than the following playoff teams.

VGK
FLA
BOS
WPG
LAK
NYI
WSH

Yeah well they're not playing any of those teams now are they.

You might have the absolute worst takes I've seen in this thread, and that's saying something
Gotta keep in mind a lot of there posters are literal teenagers "oilers have no defense"

• Haha
Reactions: HockeyWooot

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Biggest reason I had Canucks winning this was a healthy Demko. Without that it definitely favours edm. Canucks still play a strong system and don't give up a lot so they have a chance but they absolutely are the underdogs here.
Judging by the comments in here by Canucks fans, they disagree.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Biggest reason I had Canucks winning this was a healthy Demko. Without that it definitely favours edm. Canucks still play a strong system and don't give up a lot so they have a chance but they absolutely are the underdogs here.
Canucks with/without Demko can be two very different teams. Silovs has looked good but he also hasn’t really been tested.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Oilers spend more time in the opponents offensive zone and less time in their own zone. Thats how their stats got inflated, otherwise they arent that great once they get stuck in their own zone for extended period of time.
You know what one of the objectives for playing team defense is...get the puck out of your zone. Not a lot of goals scored from behind the other team's blueline.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Judging by the comments in here by Canucks fans, they disagree.
I mean I like the Canucks' d group and offensive depth a lot more than the Oilers', but not having a healthy Demko is huge when the other team has a top end that's better than yours (and everyone elses).

I am a Canucks fan myself and I know how good we can be this year so I ain't writing us off, it's more that from my perspective the biggest reason I'd have said we were a favourite was Demmer.

Reactions: Three On Zero

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
LA doesnt forecheck while playing their stupid 1-3-1 game while Canucks are heavy on forecheck.

Not sure what that has to do with Edmonton blocking more shots than Nashville

But the Oilers will have more trouble against the heavy forecheck forsure

LA alternated between that and 1-3-1. Not really sure why they kept reverting back to the trap when they were more dangerous offensively when they were forechecking

BurnabyJoe7

Not an Avalanche fan
Apr 12, 2019
But Zadorov is actually an effective player. Reeves is useless.
Exactly the point I'm making if the Canucks decide they want to match him up against McDavid. Won't go well. McDavid has also seem him quite a bit over the last 4 years and he's never caught him.

Just like how the oilers won't be giving extended time to their bottom 6 to go after Hughes.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I mean I like the Canucks' d group and offensive depth a lot more than the Oilers', but not having a healthy Demko is huge when the other team has a top end that's better than yours (and everyone elses).

I am a Canucks fan myself and I know how good we can be this year so I ain't writing us off, it's more that from my perspective the biggest reason I'd have said we were a favourite was Demmer.
And McDavid is a huge X factor. Top to bottom the Canucks have a better forward group, but they don’t have someone who tilts the ice like McDavid can

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Canucks with/without Demko can be two very different teams. Silovs has looked good but he also hasn’t really been tested.
People who haven't played the game really don't understand the difference between having a goalie you trust to steal games for you and not having it.

You play totally differently. You aren't as scared to stretch the ice or to make plays, you play deeper in the ozone etc. You don't have that thought in the back of your mind that every mistake will be in our net, you instead are only thinking of making plays. The Nucks play faster and forecheck harder and average a lot more shots when they have Demko. When they don't they play a lot more within their system. Having a top goalie in the league is very different from a third string rookie (as good as Silovs has been).

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
And McDavid is a huge X factor. Top to bottom the Canucks have a better forward group, but they don’t have someone who tilts the ice like McDavid can
In what world do the Canucks have a better forward group than Edmonton...?

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Hoglander
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
PDG-Blueger-Lafferty

Henrique - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Kane
Foegele - McLeod - Perry
Holloway - Ryan - Janmark

• Haha
Reactions: Angry Little Elf

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Before mods cleaned up:

After mods cleaned up:

In what world do the Canucks have a better forward group than Edmonton...?

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Hoglander
Suter-Miller-Boeser
Joshua-Lindholm-Garland
PDG-Blueger-Lafferty

Henrique - McDavid - Hyman
RNH - Draisaitl - Kane
Foegele - McLeod - Perry
Holloway - Ryan - Janmark

In the world where the Canucks spent the entirety of the season in the president’s trophy race, where as the Oilers needed to claw back from one of the worst starts in franchise history? We saw how the roster performed when McDavid was hurt, it wasn’t pretty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad